PDA

View Full Version : Calling myself??

Walter Plummer
06-26-2019, 7:51 PM
Three calls yesterday evening to my landline showing my name and my landline phone number? They did not leave a message. I think now they are trying to confuse us into answering. Anyone else had this version?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2019, 8:27 PM
Yes. It's done regularly. I don't need the phone to talk to myself, so I never answer.

Lee Schierer
06-26-2019, 8:37 PM
We had a rash of those a couple of months ago with our name and number. We also get calls from local numbers that we don't recognize. Like Ken, I don't need a phone to talk to myself either.

Larry Frank
06-26-2019, 9:56 PM
All my landline calls go to the answering machine with a message of "Please leave a message after the beep".

Ted Calver
06-26-2019, 10:37 PM
Got five of those yesterday...calling ourselves on our land line. None today. Let's hope that doeesn't happen again for a while. I hate to think how many others got calls from our number, but I'm beginning to think the land line is becoming a liability.

Art Mann
06-27-2019, 8:45 AM
I have received a call in which the number on caller ID was the cell phone being called. I don't understand why the Federal Government doesn't pass laws against spoofing phone numbers.

Jim Koepke
06-27-2019, 9:23 AM
I have received a call in which the number on caller ID was the cell phone being called. I don't understand why the Federal Government doesn't pass laws against spoofing phone numbers.

Most likely because those with the power to pass such laws have been bought and paid for by those who profit from not having such a law.

Besides, if you have signed on to the "Do Not Call" list, you know how effective it hasn't been.

It does look like the telephone companies may be starting to do something about it.

jtk

Lee Schierer
06-27-2019, 6:37 PM
It does look like the telephone companies may be starting to do something about it.

jtk

Apparently Verizon can identify spam calls, but sends them through any way with a caller ID that says spam.

Jim Koepke
06-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Apparently Verizon can identify spam calls, but sends them through any way with a caller ID that says spam.

That is a good feature. At least it would let me know before picking up the phone if my sit.wav should be used.

Google sit.wav (http://yourhomenow.com/sit.html) to find out about the Special Information Tone that signifies a number is not in service.

The SMC software does not allow me to attach the file, so you may have to do a little work to download it.

Mine is usually left open on my desktop ready to be activated when the caller ID indicates it is a spam call.

Some auto dialers will call back immediately. Just play it again Sam. One actually called back twice. Haven't heard from them since.

jtk

Eric Danstrom
06-28-2019, 3:29 PM
What's this thing you call, "land line"?

Lee Schierer
06-28-2019, 3:40 PM
That is a good feature. At least it would let me know before picking up the phone if my sit.wav should be used.

Google sit.wav (http://yourhomenow.com/sit.html) to find out about the Special Information Tone that signifies a number is not in service.

The SMC software does not allow me to attach the file, so you may have to do a little work to download it.

Mine is usually left open on my desktop ready to be activated when the caller ID indicates it is a spam call.

Some auto dialers will call back immediately. Just play it again Sam. One actually called back twice. Haven't heard from them since.

jtk

Doesn't that confuse legitimate callers?

Curt Harms
06-28-2019, 7:45 PM
Got five of those yesterday...calling ourselves on our land line. None today. Let's hope that doeesn't happen again for a while. I hate to think how many others got calls from our number, but I'm beginning to think the land line is becoming a liability.

If you have a digital voice line you should look at NoMoRobo. We have it and it's a blessing especially during political seasons. The only 'cost' is reporting illegitimate phone numbers if you choose to. The reason for needing a non-POTS line is that it requires simultaneous ring (as I understand it). Like Lee, we have a Verizon land line and we get single rings with spam along with the number on the caller ID.

Ted Calver
06-28-2019, 8:58 PM
If you have a digital voice line you should look at NoMoRobo. We have it and it's a blessing especially during political seasons. The only 'cost' is reporting illegitimate phone numbers if you choose to. The reason for needing a non-POTS line is that it requires simultaneous ring (as I understand it). Like Lee, we have a Verizon land line and we get single rings with spam along with the number on the caller ID.

Strangely enough, we have NoMoRobo as part of our cox.com telephone package. It didn't help in this case. It's not totally infallible. Maybe one in five calls gets missed by NoMoRobo. It helps, but it's not the absolute answer.

Doug Garson
06-28-2019, 9:17 PM
What's this thing you call, "land line"?
It's that thing that was used after soup cans and piano wire but before cell phones.

Jim Koepke
06-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Doesn't that confuse legitimate callers?

Most legitimate callers are identified by caller ID.

If it is me calling myself, it is clear the call isn't legitimate.

Our medical provider's phone system is about the only caller we know who shows up as "unknown." Most of the time they are calling from a number that is recognized.

Most legitimate callers will likely think they may have dialed incorrectly and call back.

jtk

Eric Danstrom
06-29-2019, 5:26 PM
This is why I gave up my landline 15 years ago. All I got was junk calls; everyone important to me learned to call or text me on my cell. I'm close to finishing my sixth decade and I don't know anyone with a landline. Even my 84 year old father dumped his landline years ago.

Bill Dufour
06-29-2019, 6:31 PM
I tell kids that I am so old that when I saw a person walking down the sidewalk talking to themselves it meant they were crazy.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
07-03-2019, 11:22 PM
If you could find out who is spoofing your number you could sue them for libel. By using your number they are claiming you are a phone scammer and a broke Nigerien Prince.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
07-04-2019, 5:24 PM
If you could find out who is spoofing your number you could sue them for libel. By using your number they are claiming you are a phone scammer and a broke Nigerien Prince.
Bill D

Not quite so Bill. It isn't libel nor are they claiming you are a phone scammer. The number being called shows up in the caller ID for every number called.

Besides to be libel, it has to be published:

libel | ˈlībəl |
noun
1 {Law} a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

It is not published, it isn't damaging to the called person's reputation and it is not defamation written or otherwise.

jtk

Bill Dufour
07-05-2019, 12:24 AM
But are they showing your number as their's when they call other people or do they only show it when they call you?
Be easy to block calls from your own number.
Bill D.

Bill Dufour
07-05-2019, 12:30 AM
A bit off topic but I heard a radio add this week for a retirement investment seminar. Geared for rich folks to come in and listen to a lecture about saving for retirement with this investment firm. Interesting thing was it was being held at a winery with wine tasting thrown in. Nothing like liquor them up them sell them something they do not need.
I think they are actually a pretty legitimate invest company and a reason to go to a winery in Napa is a good lure for rich folks in the Bay Area..
Bill D

Jim Koepke
07-05-2019, 12:57 AM
But are they showing your number as their's when they call other people or do they only show it when they call you?
Be easy to block calls from your own number.
Bill D.

The number being called is also shown as the number calling. Every phone receiving a call from this type of number spoofing is seeing it as if the phone is calling itself.

It may be due to whoever is doing this doesn't know how to set up their auto dialer software.

jtk