PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Hand Saw

Lon Butcher
06-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Howdy from Maine,

I've been lurking for some time now and have very much enjoyed the wit and wisdom of the group. This is my first time posting.
I came across a nice little saw the other day and when I cleaned it up I discovered a great etch and the name "Carlisle Special" on the saw. Is anyone familiar with who the maker of this saw might be?

Thanks!
Lon

Nicholas Lawrence
06-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Hard to read the medallion on my tablet, but it looks like a “Warranted Superior.” If that is the case, it could have been made by any of the major makers. I have several with local hardware store brands etched on the blade, and when I inquired about it years ago was told Disston or Atkins or somebody likely made it to order for the local hardware store the way Millers Falls made the “Craftsman” line for Sears for so many years.

Somebody more knowledgeable is likely to come along as well.

Lon Butcher
06-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Hard to read the medallion on my tablet, but it looks like a “Warranted Superior.” If that is the case, it could have been made by any of the major makers. I have several with local hardware store brands etched on the blade, and when I inquired about it years ago was told Disston or Atkins or somebody likely made it to order for the local hardware store the way Millers Falls made the “Craftsman” line for Sears for so many years.

Somebody more knowledgeable is likely to come along as well.

I thought about it being a store brand too, but I couldn't find any reference to Carlisle as a retail store. It's the complexity of the etch that is interesting to me... and yes, the medallion is "Warranted Superior".

Thanks for your thoughts!

lowell holmes
06-25-2019, 1:12 PM
See this saw for an unusual saw.
Google morphy/wheatley-carlisle-handsaw

Pete Taran
06-25-2019, 1:17 PM
Ah, the old Carlisle special. Definitely a Disston, and definitely the same saw as seen in this 1914 catalog clip, the number 061.

Lon Butcher
06-25-2019, 2:01 PM
Yup... that’s the saw! Thanks a bunch for the information!

So... other than it being a nice little Disston saw, is there a market for them?

Jim Koepke
06-25-2019, 2:08 PM
Yup... that’s the saw! Thanks a bunch for the information!

So... other than it being a nice little Disston saw, is there a market for them?

There is always a market for good usable saws. The price the market will pay is a bit fickle and unpredictable.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
06-25-2019, 11:46 PM
Being a DISSTON will add to its appeal...