PDA

View Full Version : dust collector noise

Gary Hoemann
12-12-2005, 1:32 PM
I have a 1.5 horsepower Jet dust collector. This weekend it started making a strange grinding noise when I turn it off. As it winds down, and after the "brake" kicks in there is a sound that might be a dry bearing or something like that. Anybody have any ideas?

Cecil Arnold
12-12-2005, 1:46 PM
I would check the impeller (fan) before I started looking at bearing replacement. You may have something in the housing.

John D Watson
12-12-2005, 1:51 PM
I would say, disconnect the power and check it thoroughly. Bad bearings can be hot or show signs of heat. Check the manual and be sure you have looked very well for FOD (forign object damage), befor starting it back up.

martyphee
12-12-2005, 2:07 PM
Brake? Are you sure it's not the starter contacts? Is it an open or closed motor?

I don't think any DC has a brake on it.

Gary Hoemann
12-12-2005, 2:10 PM
I'm sure you are right, don't know the terminology---the click as the motorwinds down

James Biddle
12-12-2005, 5:04 PM
My DC made a similar noise a few months back and it turned out that the impellor has loosened up from the shaft. Easy fix and I was back up in a half hour.

Gary Hoemann
12-13-2005, 8:13 AM
James, I'll bet that's it. I looked at everything last night to spot any obvious problems, but didn't put a wrench on the bolt holding the impeller. I can imagine it making that sound when it moves a little on the shaft. Thanks!