PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2005, 1:10 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I had a lot of fun with the Itty-Bitty Turning Contest, so that took part of the weekend. A special thanks to Mark Singer and Jim Becker for helping the judging part of the contest, John Hart for creating/driving the contest and to all of you that took part of any portion of the contest.

I managed to hurt my back on Saturday while cutting firewood. So, I've been kinda out of commission since then. Thanks to Mark Cothren and his son Derek for helping with the last loads of wood before my back went totally out.

No shop time this weekend....just a hot-pad and a recliner....and I STILL have Christmas presents to get done!!!!!! :eek:

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Duke
12-12-2005, 1:27 PM
Completed the woodwork on the crib I've been working on and installed all the hardware. Now if the weather will cooperate hopefully I will be able to get a finish on it in the next week.

On a rather sad note, my father was put in the hospital Friday and we spent quite a bit of time with him but hopefully he will get out in the next couple of days.

Jim O'Dell
12-12-2005, 1:36 PM
Went to the Woodworker's show on Friday, and again on Sunday. Finally got some heavy duty t-track, 8' lengths and they gave me 4 knobs per piece. Got a set of DVD's on a cabinet making system that seems pretty nice. Attended several seminars. The one David Marks was supposed to do on buying power tools in today's market didn't materialize. Was on the web site, on the hand out Friday, but not on the easel board at the seminar site. David was there, but a different topic was being taught. Kelly Mahler did some nice presentations on the basic workings of different stationary power tools. Very small show, though.
Sat did some Christmas shopping at the antique stores in Weatherford. All in all a fairly relaxing weekend. Jim.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2005, 1:36 PM
Had a real good weekend! Spent a lot of time in the shop with my youngest. She's a natural.:D Lyn has been helping me with my remuttling projects. A real grounding force in getting it done right and not just get it done. She also brought some of her own Arts & Crafts things over to work on.
We also spent some time with my mom and caught a movie.

Steve Knowlton
12-12-2005, 1:40 PM
I Had A Great Weekend. Sta. We Had The Club Meeting. We Turned Kaliadascopes With The Oil Cell. My 11 Yr Old Made One And I Did 3. We Have A Liftime Club Member Who Does Them For A Living. His Wife Made Up The Oil Cells. What A Fantastitic Day That Was.
Sun Morn Went To Church. We Have 2 Elders And They Were Honored For 10 Yrs Of Service Along With Thier Wives. My Mom Was Also Honored Along With My Dad Who Passed On 5 Yrs Ago. It Was Very Emotional But What A Testimony For Me Because Of My Wonderful Father. Went Home And Did A Couple Of Turned Items That Friends Wanted Done For Christmas. God Bless All.

Tommy Curtiss
12-12-2005, 1:43 PM
Well I went to the Arlington Woodshow!!! I really wished it would have been bigger but I wouldn't have had enough money to walk much further:o ,,I did end up getting a Kreg 3 master and boy do I really like that thing;) ,,so easy and hardly any set-up time,,I did buy a DeWalt 50T combo blade,and found the zero clearance phenolic insert for my craftsman saw,,with the new x-acta fence,I am now pleased with the whole set up.

Just one other thing to add,I don't mean to ramble,
My son shipped out to Kuwait the day after Thankgiving,,with the internet we are blessed to be able to "talk" to him with yahoo messenger and see live pictures of him until he moved closer to the Iraqian border,5 days ago,,he called last night from the free phone cards they got handed at breakfast,,he said his flight jacket(bullet proof vest) has already stopped a ricocheting round that found his left ribs,,he is brused but he still keeps going!! (tough little fart)(he is 6'2'' and would hurt me if he ever finds out I was bluffing him ever since he was 16!!!)

So not to be a damper on the hole web site,,cause I like saw dust!! but please bow your head and say a small prayer for ALL of the fighting AMERICAN BAD ASSES that will not get to spend this holiday season with thier loved ones

Matt Meiser
12-12-2005, 1:45 PM
Spent most of Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon in the shop working on my daughter's bed. Other than that stuff around the house and family time.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-12-2005, 1:46 PM
I worked in the shop on a stain project, then laid out a few boards for a couple of XMAS projects....hohoho!!

Sunday I rested and watched the tube a bit, then did some ebayin'!

Jim Hager
12-12-2005, 1:46 PM
My daughter came home this weekend with her new fiance' who we met for the first time on Friday afternoon. I guess he'll do for a son-in-law but I ain't so sure:rolleyes: . My son and his girlfriend came over too for the weekend and we had a big family get together to all look at this fiance' of my daughter's. So I didn't get to do much done until yesterday afternoon when I finished a fireplace mantle and met with a couple to plan out their kitchen in their new house just down the road from me.:)

Not much woodwork but I'd rather have some family time anyway. I don't know about this joker runnin off with my little girl:(, she's plenty old enough I just don't know if I like it or not.:o

Paul Canaris
12-12-2005, 1:58 PM
Replacing the roll-up garage door in my workshop with two traditional doors. These doors will be frame and panel except the panels will be chip glass and stained glass.

John Hart
12-12-2005, 1:59 PM
Finished up the Itty Bitty Turning Contest on Saturday...Judges did most of the work...I just enjoyed wrapping up. A very big THANK YOU to Mark Singer, Dennis Peacock, and Jim Becker, who, despite their extremely busy schedules, selflessly volunteered and donated their time.
And another thank you to all the folks who participated by turning and those that cheered it on.

In case you missed it...Here's the winners list - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27433

Sunday was Christmas Tree Picking, Cutting, and Trimming day. The girls had fun...sure...they didn't do any of the cutting and hauling and setting up! After that....I sat there like a slug. ;)

Did some turning here and there....Fairly fun...easy going weekend

Larry Fox
12-12-2005, 2:07 PM
No woodworking this weekend, was striper fishing on the Outer Banks, NC.

Hope to start finishing my cabinet drawers this week.

My niece (only girl in the family) also asked me to make me a stand for her doll house so you can bet that I will be busting my but to squeeze that project in between now and XMAS as well. She is 4 and I find it physically impossible to utter the word no when she asks for something so....

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2005, 2:07 PM
Cleaned the shop on Saturday with the LOML. Then went to Denver to pickup up a little spinny thingy. Namely a new Delta lathe. Visited my loml's dad in the VA home and spent the rest of the day shopping.

Mark Cothren
12-12-2005, 2:20 PM
I managed to hurt my back on Saturday while cutting firewood. So, I've been kinda out of commission since then. Thanks to Mark Cothren and his son Derek for helping with the last loads of wood before my back went totally out.

Some guys will do anything to get out of a little work...;)

Dennis, if it makes you feel any better, Derek was so sore yesterday that he couldn't even help me move a bench in the shop... and he's 15, young, and strong!

Hope you recover soon!

Eddie Watkins
12-12-2005, 2:24 PM
I had been watching a local vo-tech school with an excellent woodworking program for a few months and noticed they were offering a finishing seminar Saturday. I signed up figuring I could always improve my skills there since I struggle with finishing. I got there Saturday and I see a guy that looked familiar and I introduce myself. Seems that I remembered him from pictures in his book. Bob Flexner, the author of "Understanding Wood Finishing", turned out to be the instructor. I felt like I got bargain at $35 for a one day seminar.:D If you ever get a chance to go to one of his training sessions they are really good. He is an excellent speaker and very knowledgeable having developed his skills by doing.
Sunday I cleaned up my shop and put some hardware back on a door I had stripped and refinished.

Brett Baldwin
12-12-2005, 2:58 PM
Woodworker's Source has a sale about twice a year where all lumber is at 100+bf pricing so I gave in to the urge and bought several bf each of Bloodwood, Shedua, Paduak, Hoduran Rosewood, and Purpleheart. I had no specific project in mind except a box but with the great pricing and all that lovely lumber, I just grabbed a little of each for accenting future projects. Also picked up some BB plywood and clamps that were also on sale. I really had to hold back from spending more, it was sooooo tempting.
I also, finally, made the mobile base for my tablesaw. I welded it up Friday night, got the main base under the saw Saturday morning and discovered the error in my measurement for the extension table leg support a minute later. If I can remember to bring the piece into work tommorrow, I'll be able to weld on the 1.5" extra I mismeasured the first time. At least the table moves now.
Have a good week everyone.

Chip Charnley
12-12-2005, 3:44 PM
Spent most of SAT out with LOML. Went to the Henry Ford to see the Disney exhibit and both the latest Harry Potter flick and Polar Express 3D at the IMAX. All three were EXCELLANT but a lot of standing/walking. A really good time though. When not out, I was completely disassembling my contractor saw to remove all rust and add PALS. Had to use a pulley puller to get the arm for raising/lowering the blade off. It appears that the portion of the shaft that this piece rides on from the c'ring slot to the end is just a hair larger than the rest of the shaft. Now that I have it off, I am not entirely sure how I am going to press it back on (any suggestions are welcome).

At any rate, I am going to get intimately familiar with 0000 steel wool, minerial spirits and navel jelly over the next few days. :(

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 4:03 PM
Turned all weekend and made a lotta shavings. And the shavings are about all I have to show for it.:(

Kurt Aebi
12-12-2005, 4:09 PM
No Woodworking this weekend - bummer!

Finished cleaning the coolers I used to transport the deer back to VT that I brought home from PA last weekend. (1) Doe and (1) 8-Point Buck for those interested - got them at my father's farm in southwestern PA (Greene County) - about as far away in PA as he could be from VT! LOL:D

Picked out, cut and put up our Christmas tree - nice Balsam Fir about 4' tall and really full!

Packaged my "Secret Santa" gift for a friend on another forum I frequent.

Cut the Sycamore and Sasaphras (sp?) pieces I brought back from my dad's place.

Called my niece and wished her a "Wonderful 19th Birthday" Last night!

Opened up my packages of bowl sanding supplies that arrived the week I was in PA.

Ordered a new bore-sighter (Bushnell Magnetic style) and big game gambrel and hoist system, since I left mine at my father's farm.

Jim Fancher
12-12-2005, 4:09 PM
I was sick and didn't do much of anything. At least I got the tree up and the kids decorated it. :)

Steve Clardy
12-12-2005, 4:28 PM
Spent friday, sat., and half of sunday insulating shop roof.
Good friend of mine came down and cut the insulation while I crawled, stooped, layed down on the boards we had on the trusses. Moved the boards a zillion times over.
Man I am slap wore out, sore, etc.
But insulation is mostly down. Have a couple more hundred square feet to cover, but it's nice and toasty in the shop today!!

Scott Coffelt
12-12-2005, 5:32 PM
Wound up sick all day Saturday, nothing too major other than a temperature and nasty cough. So I pretty much laid around and made the SWMBO mad ;) . Sunday I was still recovering so took it easy. I did attnd my nephews HS football awards ceremony as a stand-in for my brother. They had already set a trip up only to find out about the ceremony after the fact. They did a real nice job with it, made me proud and heck I was only his uncle. Did tape it for my brother and SIL. Watched the KC Chumps puke all over themselves, man sometimes I just do not get why I follow them, they always come up short. They can never win the games they should on paper.

Doug Shepard
12-12-2005, 6:11 PM
Got a small parts tapering jig for the MM16 done. Then made up some wedges for making a 15 deg. beveled shooting board. Then I spent some time chipping the ice off my hiney.:eek: Couldn't get the shop much above 40 and that was if you were real close to the heater.

Ken Shoemaker
12-12-2005, 6:29 PM
Saturday

Fixed dryer vent
Cleaned house
Did laundrySunday

Replaced sump pump
Cooked LOML dinnerAll this equates to sufficent points to cover ALL the shop time I want NEXT weekeand!!! YAAAAA HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Randy Moore
12-12-2005, 9:40 PM
I come home from work 6.5 hours early Friday sick-r-n-a dog, terrible cold. Spent all day after that in bed up until about noon saturday when LOML says the furnace ain't working. Crawl outta bed find out the blower motor gave up. Parts houses closed 10 minutes ago. Jerry-rigged so it would blow some and went back to bed, slept all day sunday, got up for work at 4:00 AM.
Shop time only in my DREAMS

Have a good one everyone

Randy

PS Tommy Curtiss, your request will be followed here to BA.

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 9:42 PM
My woodworking activities for the weekend were judging the "Itty Bitty" contest in the Turning Forum and a visit to the Woodworks show in Ft Washington on Sunday for a short time. Otherwise, it was the girls' first visit to the dentist on Saturday and general parenting otherwise. I did set foot in the shop a few times, but only to hide holiday gifts... :)

Jim Dunn
12-12-2005, 9:45 PM
Yeah Jim and now you can't work in there cause they'll get all dusty:) Spent most of the weekend working on a paint cabinet for SWMBO. Pics are on the finishing forum not complete yet. Maybe next weekend.

Corey Hallagan
12-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I finished the entryway to the house this weekend. Last weekend I laid a laminate floor. This weekend I installed a nice 6 panel oak door and trimmed out the rest of the hallway and entryway. I think the entryway, blends in pretty well with the newly finished floor myself. Here are a couple pics for the police :) I am retiring until after the holiday! I am tired of waking up on Saturday and Sunday morning, chugging a cup of coffee and starting the work day and working 7 hours until my feet can't stand it no more! Wife said I could too :eek: .
Corey

P.S. just noticed the stiles look real dark on the door, not sure why. It is all evenly stained. Beautiful door. Of course if I was Mark Singer I would have made it, but meez ain't got that kind of talent!