PDA

View Full Version : Quilt racks

Lee Schierer
12-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Here are two Shaker style quilt racks I recently completed for my daughter in law. They are made from maple, stained with a custom colored stain to match the woodwork in their family room. They are finished with Deft Clear semi-gloss wood finish.The clamping bar arrangement will work on any type of quilt and clamps the edge without damaging the quilt or requiring any special modifications to it. http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/kristinquiltrack2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/kristinquiltrack1.jpg

Lee

Ed Lang
12-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Do you have any details on the clamping system?

I would like to make a quilt rack for my wife since she has been after me for months to do it. I only have two weeks to get it done.

Charles McKinley
12-12-2005, 2:00 PM
Beautiful as always Lee.

I too would like more info on the clamps.

Peter Stahl
12-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Lee, nice job on the quilt racks. How did you attach them to the wall?

Lee Schierer
12-13-2005, 1:02 PM
Lee, nice job on the quilt racks. How did you attach them to the wall?

They are attached to the wall with key hole slots in teh back board. A pan head screw in a dry wall anchor fits in the keyhole. The trick is to get the screws in teh wall correctly spaced and level as the key holes don't leave much room for error.

Lee Schierer
12-13-2005, 1:04 PM
Do you have any details on the clamping system?

I would like to make a quilt rack for my wife since she has been after me for months to do it. I only have two weeks to get it done.

Well, I don't have any photos of the clamp arrangement, but here is how it works. Each of the knobs has a piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod glued in the back. The threaded rod is about 2-1/4 - 2-1/2" long. The clamp bar is 2" tall, 3/4 inch thick and as long as needed for the quilt. I cut a groove about 1/8-3/16" deep and about 1/4-3/8 wide along the bottom edge as it hangs. I cut this groove about 1/4" up from the bottom edge. Then I cut the chamfers on the front surface. I put the clamp bar in place and clamp it there then drill the 5/16 holes through the clamp bar and the back board. Then from the back I counterbore holes 3/4" in diameter about 1/8" deep to accept the flange on 1/4-20 t-nuts. I also enlarge the hole through the back board to accept the barrel of the t-nuts. After finishing I drive in the t-nuts from the back. (The finish tends to gum up the threads if you put them in before finishing, DAMHIKT) The threaded rods go through the clamp bar and into the t-nuts. When loosened you can insert the quilt edge so it is in the groove in the clamp board. When you tighten the knobs down, the clamp bar holds the quilt securely.

Oh, I almost forgot. this arrangement is covered by patent No. 123,456,789,101112. ;)

Hope this helps. You better get busy if you are going to have these doen in 2 weeks.

Ed Lang
12-13-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks Lee!

I think I will draw this out at work today and have the Shopbot cut two out tonight. That way my wife and I can give one to her sister as well!

Thanks so much.

How much distance from the wall to the front of the vertical brackets on yours?

Jim DeLaney
12-13-2005, 2:49 PM
...When you tighten the knobs down, the clamp bar holds the quilt securely.

Oh, I almost forgot. this arrangement is covered by patent No. 123,456,789,101112. ;)

Lee,
You can send me the licensing/royalty check later, since I built my first quilt rack using this method about ten years ago. :D

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 4:13 PM
Those are excellent, Lee! (Beautiful quiting, too)

Peter Stahl
12-13-2005, 8:33 PM
thanks Lee, sounds easy enough.

Corey Hallagan
12-13-2005, 8:49 PM
Lee, very nice work, I think those look great!

Corey

Jason Tuinstra
12-13-2005, 9:28 PM
Lee, looks great. I'm sure they'll be enjoyed for years to come!

Fred Voorhees
12-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Lee, am I seeing things or does that top rack also have a plate groove milled into its top?

Keel McDonald
12-14-2005, 8:54 AM
All I see are the two boxes underneath your text where the thumbnail pics should be, but nothing in them but a red X. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to double click the boxes, but nothing. Can anyone help?

Lee Schierer
12-14-2005, 9:54 AM
Lee, am I seeing things or does that top rack also have a plate groove milled into its top?

Yes there is a plate groove along the top.