PDA

View Full Version : Used delta drill press 17-965

James Denn
06-23-2019, 5:52 PM
Hey guys
i found a used delta 17-965 drill press on the market place. It looks a little rusted up in the picture but nothing horrible. He was asking $295 but he came down to $225. I was wondering if you guys think it’s worth it and what I should watch out for when I pick it up.
thanks
jim

James Denn
06-23-2019, 5:59 PM
Trying to add a pic

Thomas Canfield
06-23-2019, 7:36 PM
I think that is similar to my drill press. The rust would not be a big issue at that price and take a little elbow grease and time. Check out the start/stop switch, run on the motor and condition of the belts (2) to see how much real use was done, and crank raising/lowering table. Adding an auxiliary drill press table to allow for fence and hold downs and you have a very usable drill press for minimal investment. I would like to have a better drill press but that would mean a $1000 or so investment that cannot be justified at my age and decreasing shop use. My only problem was a broken return spring that I was able to find a replacement for. Use it almost every day often with 3-1/8" Forstner bits to get flat spots on tree sections for turning. The 4-1/2" quill travel is nice for drilling pen blanks.

Mike Kees
06-23-2019, 7:45 PM
Thomas pretty well covered it. Check it out ,try it out,buy it,bring it home ,clean it up and enjoy. The price is reasonable if everything checks out.

James Denn
06-27-2019, 5:26 PM
Thankyou guys
im going to look at it tomorrow

Randall J Cox
06-28-2019, 10:18 AM
I'd grab it in a heartbeat at that price. I paid that for a 15" older delta, then totally rebuilt it (aside from the newer motor). the 17" is a beast. Last one you'll ever need.... Randy