PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed for turning a bell

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I would really like to turn a wooden bell for my mother for christmas. It doesn't look all that hard but I am still fairly new to turning. Here is my thoughts on the sequence. Please let me know if I should do it another way.

1. mount blank in chuck
2. turn outside bell profile
3. hollow inside
4. turn handle
5 finish
6. part off
7. turn ringer
8. install ringer

Anything I have missed or should do different? Would a wood ringer work fine or should I use somthing else? What mounting the ringer to the bell? What would work best?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Do you want the ringer to wiggle or be stationary?

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Andy,

Not exactly sure what you mean by stationary. I do want it to work, even though the sound may not be good. My mom collects bells and I thought it would be really special to make one out of mesquite for her.

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Stationary would be the opposite of wiggle/dangle/bang against side of bell/ring (sort of - in this instance given that it's wood). Using hardwoods of differing densities might provide "some" tonal quality - maybe/perhaps/could be?

Here's what I'd do - I think.

The ringer is a simple shaft with a ball on one end - easy to do between centers.

Turn a second ball. Drill hole in ball to match ringer shaft diameter.

The bell itself. Think of it as a bowl with an unusual shape. The "bottom of the bowl has an opening through it for the shaft of the ringer. But here's the tricky part. On the "outside bottom of the bowl" turn a coved recess that has a shouldered (or rabbetted) edge a teeny bit larger than the second ball. Insert ringer shaft through hole and glue second ball to shaft.

Turn handle to desired shape. At business end of handle turn a shouldered (or rabbetted) edge that allows handle and bell to mate. You might also have to turn some more of that coved recess in the handle for that second ball to properly fit.

Glue handle to bell. Tape ringer to inside of bell. Rechuck assembly, and tweak, sand and finish as needed.

Or something like that.

John Hart
12-12-2005, 1:24 PM
Hey Curtis...I made some bells! Not exactly what you're talking about....but they is bells. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18758&highlight=Bell

I still want to get back to doing this....The list just keeps getting bigger!!!:o :rolleyes: :) :D

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-12-2005, 1:57 PM
John,

Great idea! I want to try one all wood and then one like yours. I know the wood one will not sound good but that is alright. For the glass on yours, you could also go to home depost and use a light kit glass for ceiling fans. They are usually a little thicker and come in all different styles and sizes. Homey may not carry much but I know the lighting fixture supplier I buy all the lights for the custom homes I build have plenty of different options.

I will post them when I get them done.

Mark Patoka
12-12-2005, 2:03 PM
If you wanted more of a bell sound with the wood, you could try using the little bells or "jingle bell" style available at Wal-Mart or other craft areas.

Mark Hulette
12-12-2005, 2:10 PM
There's a good article in AAW's magazine about turning bells... sorry but I don't have the issue in front of me. Maybe there's an index available for their articles to see when it was published?