PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on compressor change

stan kern
06-19-2019, 9:53 AM
I have a bodor 150 watt laser and the wrong compressor, to get the right compressor its a nightmare coming from china

Would it be recommended to use the one I have attached photos.

My first concern was noise but the exhaust fan i have now is noisy
But what pressure should this be set at, as the china one has no tank and i think its very low psi
This one is 100 psi but i can regulate it down, i was thinking 50 psi is that too high
I do a lot of cutting
Thanks

Bill George
06-19-2019, 11:13 AM
The only issue is this one will pump oil fumes (maybe) and water for sure unless you have a routine to drain the tank everyday and install a desiccant or refrigerated dryer and oil filter. When I was doing powder coating I had both on my air supply. My guess your other air pump was an aquarium pump or rotary oil less compressor.

Kev Williams
06-19-2019, 12:04 PM
HF has this portable (1 and 2 gallon versions) that would work, plenty of pressure and has its own pressure regulator-- it'll cycle occasionally to be sure, but at only 57 decibels for the small one it's about the same noise level as my Chinese diaphragm pump which runs constantly...

stan kern
06-19-2019, 8:32 PM
I have the smaller version of the Chinese compressor, found out after I ordered there were 2 compressors and the larger one was for mostly cutting,
Its setup strange, they reduce the hose 3 times from 3/8 at the compressor to 1/8 at the head.my old laser had better air flow
so i was looking to just replace the compressor but i would like one without a tank
i never thought about oil, water is not a problem as i blow it down often and also it takes a a bit of time to pump up the tank.
I only need air when i run the laser, so now its on a switch and off when the laser completes its job
You are saying i am better off with oiless compressor---good thought thanks

stan kern
06-19-2019, 8:54 PM
Thanks... found this one on amazon and it looks ok and the price is ok.
A china replacement is way more and I would think all I need is 50 psi, and the current draw here
is low so it could start with the laser

Glen Monaghan
06-20-2019, 9:18 AM
That is the one I have and it works very well with my Epilog.

stan kern
06-20-2019, 9:46 AM
thanks and what pressure are you setting it at

Glen Monaghan
06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
low, 15 psi for bare wood to avoid staining, and high, 40 psi, for intricate cuts in masked acrylic.

stan kern
06-24-2019, 1:41 PM
thanks a lot