PDA

View Full Version : Help I.D. This Wood

Mike Goetzke
06-18-2019, 10:01 PM
Few years back I built my router table with some pre-finished veneer ply. I can't remember if it's birch or maple?

Please let me know what you think it is.

Thanks,

Mike

Jamie Buxton
06-19-2019, 12:43 AM
My guess is birch.

Andrew Hughes
06-19-2019, 1:12 AM
My guess is Maple.

Barry McFadden
06-19-2019, 9:34 AM
My guess is Does it really matter?

Mike Goetzke
06-19-2019, 9:55 AM
My guess is Does it really matter?

Why would I post the question if it didn't really matter?

I had a scrap piece of this ply that I dyed to match something - took some process experimentation. If I use a different hardness of wood this my affect the results.

Mike

Mike Goetzke
06-19-2019, 10:30 AM
My guess is birch.

My guess is Maple.

Ha - the more pictures I looked at last night I'm siding with birch. Thanks for the replies.

Jim Tobias
06-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Looks exactly like some birch ply that I just bought.

Jim

Jacob Reverb
06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
I vote birch. As for matching, seems to me the only way to find out is empirically, regardless of what it's made of.

John K Jordan
06-19-2019, 1:10 PM
I vote birch. As for matching, seems to me the only way to find out is empirically, regardless of what it's made of.

I was thinking the same thing. Even two pieces of the same species can take the same dye differently.

Andrew Hughes
06-19-2019, 1:23 PM
I was out Voted 5 to1. Darn :rolleyes:

Yonak Hawkins
06-19-2019, 3:36 PM
I'll give you half a vote, Andrew. I say it's maple or birch.

Andrew Hughes
06-19-2019, 4:10 PM
Aww thanks Yonak, I owe you one Daniel Webster cigar for that 1/2 vote.:)

Andrew Seemann
06-19-2019, 11:59 PM
I'd say birch, without full confidence. Maple and birch are similar enough looking, that my cabinetmaker's bench has 4 maple legs and one birch one (not intentional). I didn't notice for a few months after I made it; In fact I only noticed because the chatoyance wasn't quite right for maple.

Peter Bovey
06-20-2019, 3:01 AM
I would say birch as well.

Joe Beaulieu
06-20-2019, 2:38 PM
I'd say birch, without full confidence. Maple and birch are similar enough looking, that my cabinetmaker's bench has 4 maple legs and one birch one (not intentional). I didn't notice for a few months after I made it; In fact I only noticed because the chatoyance wasn't quite right for maple.

Hey Andrew - just curious - your bench has 5 legs? Also - I am not familiar with the term "Chatoyance". Would you 'splain for me? I am guessing it is something to do with indirect light.

BTW - I have a bunch of Maple ply that looks just like that sample. I am going with Maple.

Thanks Andrew

Joe

Andrew Seemann
06-22-2019, 3:07 PM
Hey Andrew - just curious - your bench has 5 legs? Also - I am not familiar with the term "Chatoyance". Would you 'splain for me? I am guessing it is something to do with indirect light.

BTW - I have a bunch of Maple ply that looks just like that sample. I am going with Maple.

Thanks Andrew

Joe

It is a Scandinavian (Frid) style bench, three legs on the left because of the shoulder vise and two on the right. The birch one is the back right leg.

Chatoyance is that kind of shimmery way the light gets reflected back to you from the wood from the figure, especially curly or flame figure. There was a good thread on it a few months back. I noticed that the wave in the figure was more like birch than maple. Closer inspection revealed it was birch when I didn't see any rays on the quarter. This was months after I built what I thought were 5 identical maple legs. Moral of the story, don't store maple and birch next to each other on your wood rack:)
p.s. the top of the vise is cherry. That at least was intentional.

Frank Pratt
06-22-2019, 11:51 PM
I'd say birch.

Yonak Hawkins
06-23-2019, 10:14 PM
I am going with Maple.

There you go, Andrew. You're gainin' on 'em.

Andrew Hughes
06-23-2019, 10:28 PM
There you go, Andrew. You're gainin' on 'em.

Yes sir , things are looking up for me. :)