PDA

View Full Version : Menards...Can Someone Please Buy & Ship This Hose Reel To Me, Please...

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Just saw this Flexzilla L8250FZ hose reel on Menards website. I tried to purchase it for the $53+, but it says it can't ship to me in CA. I was hoping someone who has a Menards close by might purchase this for me and ship it to me? I know...it's a big ask, but the only prices I have are double what Menards is charging. Thanks! Oh..sale is on till the 22nd.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/pneumatic-tools/air-hoses/flexzilla-reg-3-8-x-50-enclosed-plastic-retractable-air-hose-reel/l8250fz/p-1543908447759-c-12914.htm?tid=-5707007617703695099&&ipos=1

Bob Hinden
06-18-2019, 11:30 AM
I am in CA too, so I tried to see if would let me order, I got:

"Due to recent changes in Proposition 65 this product is restricted from being sold to the state
where your shipping address and/or billing address is located. Please remove this item from your cart."

That's really odd. I have never seen this before.

Bob

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Ya...don't know what this about, but it's clear they won't send it to me. Sure hope someone in a Menards area can help me out.:o

Lisa Starr
06-18-2019, 1:18 PM
Derek, I just looked, but I'm too far away from you. I can purchase it and have it shipped to me but that adds $11.82 to the cost. Then, I'd have to ship it to you, so that probably be another $12.00 or so. I don't have a store close enough to pick-up.

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 1:38 PM
Derek, I just looked, but I'm too far away from you. I can purchase it and have it shipped to me but that adds $11.82 to the cost. Then, I'd have to ship it to you, so that probably be another $12.00 or so. I don't have a store close enough to pick-up.

Lisa, thanks anyhow. Ya, the double shipping would defeat the purpose. Hopefully, some here will help me out, if they have a Menards close by. What we'll do for a deal...

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 1:49 PM
Well, just found out that Flexzilla is not the only hybrid hose maker anymore. Even HF has a copy. So, I guess there's no sense in putting anyone to any trouble, when I can buy a knock-off for around the same price as the Flexzilla. Thanks anyways...

Frank Pratt
06-18-2019, 1:53 PM
Well, just found out that Flexzilla is not the only hybrid hose maker anymore. Even HF has a copy. So, I guess there's no sense in putting anyone to any trouble, when I can buy a knock-off for around the same price as the Flexzilla. Thanks anyways...

Do you really think the HF knockoff will be of the same quality?

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 2:08 PM
Frank...no, however I see that there are other alternatives to the Flexzilla, so I won't have to trouble anyone for the favor. Just saw the Husky one that looks exactly the same. By the time you factor in shipping on the Flexzilla, it's real close, cuz I can just p/u the Husky.

Matt Day
06-18-2019, 2:18 PM
I have a couple Menards around me but I won’t get back home until the 21st. If I can manage to get the free time to get to the store i’ll Post back or send a PM.

Honestly though there are a lot of alternatives out there. I’d be fine with an HF one personally.

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 2:29 PM
Matt, thanks a lot. I'm looking at the Kobalt reel. It's a little more $, but is all metal and seems pretty beefy. I may end up going that way, since I can just pick it up in store. If that changes, I'll PM you for sure. Thank you for volunteering.

Frank Pratt
06-18-2019, 4:35 PM
Frank...no, however I see that there are other alternatives to the Flexzilla, so I won't have to trouble anyone for the favor. Just saw the Husky one that looks exactly the same. By the time you factor in shipping on the Flexzilla, it's real close, cuz I can just p/u the Husky.

That Flexzilla reel is very good. I've had one for a couple of years now. The Menards price is sure good. Up north the cheapest they are is an eye watering $188. Of coarse, that's in monopoly money.

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 5:02 PM
I may be wrong, but from what I've read, not to sell in CA and other states, because of Prop 65, is the choice of Menards and not a rule or law. Am I wrong?

glenn bradley
06-18-2019, 5:55 PM

I do not think HF is the same as the name brand; let me state that first. I have two 12 gauge extension cord auto-reels hanging from the ceiling that I got for $35 each at HF. I hoped they would last a couple of years. That was 15 years ago. There are some diamonds in the rough but, there is a lot of rough ;-)

Nathan Johnson
06-18-2019, 6:34 PM
Must be popular. Nowhere local to me to pick one up.

Jim Becker
06-18-2019, 7:42 PM
I have that reel and it's terrible. Nothing at all like the Flexilla hoses I've enjoyed using for a couple decades. I would have sent it back if it wasn't such a hassle at the time. and I rarely use it.

Derek Arita
06-18-2019, 8:24 PM
Jim, to which are you referring? I value your opinion.

Frank Pratt
06-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Me too Jim. I'm wondering what you don't like about it. I know that sometimes the hose binds inside when there are the last 4 or 5' to go in, but when that happens I just pull it out a couple of feet & then hold the hose to one side or the other while the last few feet feed in. If the hose was 10' shorter, I don't think it would ever even happen.

John K Jordan
06-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Just saw this Flexzilla L8250FZ hose reel on Menards website. I tried to purchase it for the $53+, but it says it can't ship to me in CA. I was hoping someone who has a Menards close by might purchase this for me and ship it to me? I know...it's a big ask, but the only prices I have are double what Menards is charging. Thanks! Oh..sale is on till the 22nd.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/pneumatic-tools/air-hoses/flexzilla-reg-3-8-x-50-enclosed-plastic-retractable-air-hose-reel/l8250fz/p-1543908447759-c-12914.htm?tid=-5707007617703695099&&ipos=1

Have you tried Northern Tool? They usually carry a variety.

I haven't tried that reel but have a couple of other reels, one enclosed and one open. I don't care for enclosed reel - since I can't always see way the hose is winding it's easier to get it jammed up. In my equipment maintenance area I use a Goodyear open reel the hose is always easy to retract.

Tom M King
06-18-2019, 10:53 PM
I like to keep everything clean, so even in the mechanic shop, I have hand crank reels. Any time a hose is rewound on the reel, there is a cloth there. One hand holds the cloth around the hose, and the other cranks the reel.

The one that gets drug around to building sites holds 200'. Even the rare times when that is all the way out, it doesn't take That long to wind it back in, and there are never any tangles, or hangups.

Jim Becker
06-19-2019, 9:17 AM
To those who asked about my dissatisfaction with this particular reel....it came with a leaky hose and it's extremely difficult to get it to "lock" and "unlock" the hose when it's pulled out. Sometime it takes a half dozen or so attempts to get it to lock extended and that's usually always when that kind of behavior is most inconvenient. Because of the leaky nature, I have to leave it disconnected when not actually in use. I wish I had bought it from one of my normal sources because it would have gone back, no question. But that was not the case, although I don't remember the details of why I could not return it at this point. It's there in my shop and I occasionally use it when I need that extra connection, but...

My big disappointment is that it wasn't anything close to the quality of the many Flexeel hoses I own and love.

Frank Pratt
06-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Jim, how old is that reel? I wonder if the design has changed. With the one I have, as you pull out the hose, every few feet there will be a series of 5 clicks. If you stop pulling before you get past the fifth click, the hose will lock. To unlock, the hose is pulled past the fifth click to unlock it & then released. works every time.

As to long term reliability, I can't comment yet. But clearly this is a hobby shop item & not as robust as the heavy steel pro shop reels. It only cost a fraction of what those do though.

I sure do love the Flexzilla hoses. I can find nothing negative to say about them. They don't even seem to easily get dirty, which I thought would be an issue, given the bright color and surface texture.

Lee DeRaud
06-19-2019, 11:35 AM
I may be wrong, but from what I've read, not to sell in CA and other states, because of Prop 65, is the choice of Menards and not a rule or law. Am I wrong?Sounds right. Prop 65 doesn't actually ban any products, it just requires a highly specific warning label to be applied to it...Menards may not want to deal with that if the manufacturer didn't provide it.

Might not even be a Prop 65 thing: if the hose/liner is made from the "wrong" sort of plastic, and since this can potential carry drinking water, that's a no-no. (Can't remember the one that got banned recently here.)

Charlie Velasquez
06-19-2019, 2:35 PM

Derek, I am heading to Menards. Internet says they have six at that store. I will pick one up and check on shipping cost. If you don’t want it I will keep it, so don’t feel obligated.

ps. If you know a cheap way to get it to you from zip code 50111, let me know.

Derek Arita
06-19-2019, 3:04 PM
Derek, I am heading to Menards. Internet says they have six at that store. I will pick one up and check on shipping cost. If you don’t want it I will keep it, so don’t feel obligated.

Thanks Charlie! Very cool of you to do that. Let me know what happens.

Jim Becker
06-19-2019, 4:31 PM
Jim, how old is that reel? .
About a year old. I bought it when I was preparing for my CNC and made some changes to my air system.

Derek Arita
06-20-2019, 3:39 PM

Just wanted to give a big Thank You to Charlie for helping out a fellow Creeker. He went out of his way to help me out and I appreciate it.

Lee DeRaud
06-20-2019, 4:21 PM
Might not even be a Prop 65 thing: if the hose/liner is made from the "wrong" sort of plastic, and since this can potential carry drinking water, that's a no-no. (Can't remember the one that got banned recently here.)Ah geez...just realized this is an air hose reel, not a garden hose reel. Ignore me, it's been a tough week. :)

Günter VögelBerg
06-24-2019, 12:51 PM
If California really wanted to prevent cancer it would ban the sun. I cannot believe there has not been a ballot initiative for this.