PDA

View Full Version : Planer knives

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Looking to buy a set of planer knives for my 15" planer, so that I have a set to rotate in when the other set goes in for sharpening. Any recommendations for flavor or source??? I find that the OEM's which shipped with the planer are really nothing to write home about. They lasted about as long as the ones on my previous lunch-box planer. Oh, and before people start telling me about the carbide ones, the budget won't allow for that so, I'm sticking to HSS. Appreciate any info!:) :cool:

tod evans
12-12-2005, 10:44 AM
wisconson knife works, sold through local distributor. or cg schmidt on line........02 tod

Dan Racette
12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
What kind of planer, john. this for your dewalt or did you get a full size planer?

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
What kind of planer, john. this for your dewalt or did you get a full size planer?

Dan, 15" full size unit. Got it this last summer.:) :cool:

Dan Racette
12-12-2005, 12:26 PM
where did you get it?

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 12:52 PM
where did you get it?

Dan, here's the "whole" story: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23006&highlight :) :cool:

CPeter James
12-12-2005, 1:35 PM
Carbide knives while they will not dull as quickly, will never be as sharp as HSS. Get a good set of HSS knives and a Makita knife sharpener and the green wheel from Highland Hardware. I can remove the knives from my Jet 15", sharpen them and put them back in 45 minutes.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1459

CPeter

Scott Brihn
12-12-2005, 1:36 PM
Hello John,

I was looking to source some knives over the weekend and came across Global. I've never bought anything from them but their selection and pricing is appealing. I believe they are located in Oregon.

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! CPeter, the Makita is on my "short list" but, not going to happen for a while yet, especially with Christmas expenses and winter heating costs!:( Scott, that's a new supplier I've not come across before. Great price! Might have to try that route!:) Todd, as much as I'd love to give my own state vendor a shot, just more than I can spare right now. :( I know...Buy the quality ones once and I won't be sorry, etc... Sadly, I just can't swing that right now and really feel I should have a spare set available in case I "find" a nail or some real gritty material. :) :cool:

James Biddle
12-12-2005, 5:01 PM
I've bought knives from both Infinity and Hartville Tool. The Infinity knives came sharp, just needed a little honing. The Hartville knives need sharpening, but were a little cheaper. A set of 15" HSS from Infinity is $64.90 (a little cheaper than the $207.92 carbide sale price) and a set from Hartville Tool is $59.99 (and you can get 15% off by writing Woodnet 15% in the special instructions area).

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 5:04 PM
I've bought knives from both Infinity and Hartville Tool. The Infinity knives came sharp, just needed a little honing. The Hartville knives need sharpening, but were a little cheaper. A set of 15" HSS from Infinity is $64.90 (a little cheaper than the $207.92 carbide sale price) and a set from Hartville Tool is $59.99 (and you can get 15% off by writing Woodnet 15% in the special instructions area).

James, honing I can almost understand, though brand new knives shouldn't need that either, should they? BUT, new knives needing sharpening????:confused: :eek: That makes absolutely no sense to me! What am I missing here???:confused: :) :cool:

Dan Racette
12-12-2005, 5:20 PM
What we are missing is a lack of generally recognized standards for what used to just be considered standard and expected. I can remember when my folks got all bent out of shape about batteries not being included. Now look at our economy, a knife comes unsharpened, and nothing on sales material indicates that it is not ready for use!

by the way, WKW is touted by lots and lots of folks, Pat Warner comes to mind. Wish we could go up there and tour someday!

Brian Hale
12-12-2005, 5:35 PM
Hey John. I bought a set from Wilke and they seem to last OK, plus they we're sharp right out of the wrapper. I went ahead and lapped the backs till the milling marks we're gone and then worked them on a ceramic stone till they shine. I'm guessing i can run ~400 bd ft thru (oak, birch and ash mostly) before re-honing them (in the machine) with the diamond hone they sell. I'll re-hone 3 times before sending them out for sharpening.

This is my first "real" planer (BW-15P) so I'm not sure if i should be expecting more life out of a set but it seems pretty good to me.

Brian :)

BTW, did you get the latest Wilke catalog in the mail yet? They've got the PBS 540 band saw on sale for $27,995.00! :eek: :eek: I'll have to send them an email about that! :D

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 6:04 PM
Hey John. I bought a set from Wilke and they seem to last OK, plus they we're sharp right out of the wrapper. I went ahead and lapped the backs till the milling marks we're gone and then worked them on a ceramic stone till they shine. I'm guessing i can run ~400 bd ft thru (oak, birch and ash mostly) before re-honing them (in the machine) with the diamond hone they sell. I'll re-hone 3 times before sending them out for sharpening.

This is my first "real" planer (BW-15P) so I'm not sure if i should be expecting more life out of a set but it seems pretty good to me.

Brian :)

BTW, did you get the latest Wilke catalog in the mail yet? They've got the PBS 540 band saw on sale for $27,995.00! :eek: :eek: I'll have to send them an email about that! :D

Good info, Brian! The OEM's were off the Yorkie, so that may be the difference. The new set I put in are indeed BW but, I'm wondering if the OEM blades are even worth sharpening. I doubt very much that I got 400 bt ft out of the originals. I didn't hone the new ones, either. I guess I'll see how they last. Hopefully, better than the originals!:)

So what, you think $28 grand is a little steep for that BS???:D Yeah, I guess maybe a bit....:rolleyes:

Dan, maybe we'll have to see about doing something like that! Maybe in the spring/summer??? Not sure if they do tours but, I'll bet it would be interesting.:) :cool:

tod evans
12-12-2005, 6:41 PM
john, the factory knifes will sharpen up just fine, they`re made out of m2 hss. you already own your spare set what could be more inexpensive? try it a bird in the hand, etc......02 tod

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2005, 7:08 PM
by the way, WKW is touted by lots and lots of folks, Pat Warner comes to mind. Wish we could go up there and tour someday!

Just crawled out from under my rock. Where are they located? I'm in for a road trip. :D

Karl

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 7:09 PM
john, the factory knifes will sharpen up just fine, they`re made out of m2 hss. you already own your spare set what could be more inexpensive? try it a bird in the hand, etc......02 tod

Tod, you're probably right. I know that you certainly have more experience with this stuff than I do!:D I'll try and drop them off at my local Woodcraft and see what the guy can do. In the meantime, I'll have to start saving my pennies for one of those Makita's!:) It would be awesome to have "total control" over the resultant product!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 7:13 PM
Just crawled out from under my rock. Where are they located? I'm in for a road trip. :D

Karl

Karl, really not that far. They're in Beloit.:) :cool:

Russ Massery
12-12-2005, 9:34 PM
John, I buy mine from Globaltooling the same place that Scott Brin suggested. Two reasons one price and two there knives are made of T-1 which has more tungsten than M-2 which most knives are made of.

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 9:37 PM
Have you thought about the Estes dispose-a-knife system? Set 'em once and then just replace the actual cutters as necessary, very simliar to your old lunchbox planer.

tod evans
12-13-2005, 8:52 AM
john, several years ago when i had a straight knife planer i built a jig to sharpen the knifes on my 6x48, gave me better results than i was getting sending them out. when i was in griz last week i noticed a sharpener that looked to be fully functional at a really fair price. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G9960
use your scrap and your brain and you`ll have your own sharpener before you could get them back from someone else..02 tod

Tom Jones III
12-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I'll give a third voice to globaltooling, I bought knives for my jointer and planer and they are fine with a great price.

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Have you thought about the Estes dispose-a-knife system? Set 'em once and then just replace the actual cutters as necessary, very simliar to your old lunchbox planer.

Jim, yeah I've looked at the Dispoz-a-Blade system but, not within my reach at this time. It would certainly be a time-saver but, not being "in business", it would also cost me more $$$ in the long run, as well. Although the system has double-edge blades at a decent price, once you whack through each side, you do indeed dispose of them rather than resharpen. If I were "production" oriented, then yes, they would probably pay for themselves.:) :cool: