PDA

View Full Version : "Fused bamboo" decking?

Jamie Buxton
06-17-2019, 8:46 PM
A local lumberyard, which is usually pretty reliable, has started carrying decking made from bamboo. https://dassoxtr.com/Products/dassoXTRFusedBambooDecking.aspx?pgId=580 It looks very good -- harder than ipe, and they claim it needs no maintenance. It ain't cheap -- about $12 per square foot. Anybody have experience with it?

Mel Fulks
06-17-2019, 9:07 PM
At least 60 years ago my parents invested in a bamboo particle board. Did not succeed. There have been a number of
those things. I favor cheap 3/4 inch plywood installed sloping 1/8th inch per foot and covered with canvas glued with
Titebond 2 ,then primed and painted. Colorful and durable.

Tom Bender
06-22-2019, 8:51 AM
Mel
Can you say a little more about canvas covered decking? Is it suitable in northern climates, how much maintenance is required?

Jim Becker
06-22-2019, 9:23 AM
Jamie, I don't know much about it, but I recently read some things about how today's bamboo products are produced and it was interesting to note that it's heat treated/roasted. I know that the bamboo sheet goods that I've played with truly are unbelievably hard and seems to be moisture resistant, too...I would hope that a decking product addresses that nicely. But yea...not cheap, probably because of the effort to make it is a lot more than regular boards. It's grass. It has to be sliced, diced and re-assembled into whatever the product it's going to be requires.