PDA

View Full Version : Compressors in the cold

Rich Tesoroni
12-12-2005, 9:45 AM
The question was asked about air compressors freezing on the pneumatic tools post. Is this a problem if you use it, or does the freezing weaken it even if it's just sitting there?

Hoping to bring home the one I just bought soon, but it will go in the garage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/richtes/compressor.jpg

Rich

tod evans
12-12-2005, 9:50 AM
my compressors live in a seperate building, no heat. the pump is fine in cold weather it`s the condinsation in the tank that can freeze and possibly cause you problems.......a splash of antifreeze in the tank will cure any potential problems. in your garage you should be fine?? easy to tell try draining the tank, no drainage=add antifreeze.....02 tod

Steve Jenkins
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Rather than adding antifreeze just make sure you drain the moisture out of the tank. I use my small portable ( oil lubed)this past week when it was below freezing and to keep from popping the overload on the compressor motor I had to bleed off all the air pressure and keep the bleeder open for a few seconds after it started to get the oil warmed up.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a magnet block heater I will fire up about a half hour before use on my IR in these cold Arctic climates. She isn't as loaded down when it starts if it's had a chance to warm up.
I agree with the other gents. Drain early and often. Change the oil occassionally too.

David LaRue
12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Tyler,

Do you have a link to that magnet block heater? I have my Compressor (the same one that Rich has) in a shed outside. The IR has synthetic oil, but it can get rather chilly out there!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Dave...you can pick up those magnetic block heaters in most auto supply places in the far north .....their designed for use on auto oil pans.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Dave,

As Ken said just about anywhere. I think this was one of the HF buys I was realy happy with.