PDA

View Full Version : Best Weekend Ever

Michael Keating
12-12-2005, 8:32 AM
Hello all,

Just had to share the good weekend I had. Started off Saturday with a trip to the overnite freight terminal to pick-up the new G0586 8inch jointer. One heavy machine. Got it home and it is still in the box, I will not be able to put it together (since you need two people to build it) until after the new year.
That machine is packed like a hoss and I can not wait to make some chips. Then it was off to woodworks 05. A great show once again (did the displays seem smaller this year?). Had a great time and got to see the amazing table that Alan had on display there.
What a weekend . . .and the Redskins won.

Mike Keating
PS. I am including a pic for the police

Michael Keating
12-12-2005, 8:37 AM
While at woodworks, I put a deposit down on one of these.:D

Tyler Howell
12-12-2005, 8:45 AM
Mike,
This was a great weekend for you.
Congrats

Paul B. Cresti
12-12-2005, 8:51 AM
Mike,
Sorry I missed you at the show, I was there on Saturday. Congrats on the new machines, guess which one I Like the best :) Oh by the way, the Giants won too ;)

John Bailey
12-12-2005, 8:57 AM
Great haul Mike, pictures and everything. I think that qualifies as a gloat.

Paul, no guesswork, it's the MM.

John

Alan Turner
12-12-2005, 9:02 AM
Mike,

Thanks; glad you liked the table. I had posted it here many moons ago.

If you need a bit of help with the jointer, give me a shout. And, even more so, congrats on picking a real BS. That fellow will permit some serious resawing. Did you order the Lennox carbide blade for it as well?

Frank Pellow
12-12-2005, 9:39 AM
You are right -that was a great weekend for you. Congratulations on the bandsaw and the jointer.

John Miliunas
12-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow Mike! Big, BIG scores!:D Don't know about you but, I know I would be recruiting some help in a hurry to get the jointer up and running! Don't know that I'd have the patience to wait that long!:rolleyes: Congrats on both purchases!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
12-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Mike,

Good, very good..........

Question - did you compare the MM20 to the 16 at all.........?Did you consider the 20 for the larger throat and table??

Michael Keating
12-12-2005, 3:28 PM
Hey Roy,

I did compare the 2 sizes and the MM-16 will more than meet my needs. As for resaw, I only have a 15 inch planer, so it does not make too much sense to get something much bigger.
While the bigger table and throat clearance would be nice, I think the 16 will be the perfect machine for me.

Mike

tod evans
12-12-2005, 3:39 PM
michael, congratulations on the new toys! i hope you gave the boys in white a hard time? tod

Vaughn McMillan
12-12-2005, 7:54 PM
Nice haul, Mike. There's no way I'd be able to look at a new jointer in the box for nearly a month before getting it set up. I'd be recruting homeless guys off the street to help me get that bad boy set up. I nearly went nuts waiting 2 days to get my recently-purchased bandsaw set up. (Then again, I'm nearly nuts anyway. ;) )

The MM is a very sweet bandsaw, but you already know this, huh?

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
12-12-2005, 8:21 PM
Excellent Goat Michael! Congrats on the new equipment!

Corey

Dave Malen
12-12-2005, 8:31 PM
Mike,
That's some fine machinery. I was at the show too. Didn't spend much. Just got some Veneer at Terry Adam's booth. I spent my money on my other hobby - Photography. Just got an Olympus E-500.

Enjoy your new toys,
Dave

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 9:32 PM
While at woodworks, I put a deposit down on one of these.
Ah...you were one of the folks who made Dain smile!! Congratulations, Michael! That's a great saw you have on the way!

I will admit that I only spent about an hour and a half at the show on Sunday and the only thing I paid for was a small carved ornament for Dr. SWMBO. (I had the artist carve "2005" on the back and gave him $10 instead of the incredibly low $8 he asked for) I did add another Festool tee-shirt to my collection...my local woodworking tool friends just signed up as an ISA. I think this is the first show I didn't buy any tools at, although I came close on the Grex pneumatic angle sander...

Alan Turner
12-13-2005, 4:19 AM
I guess it's OK to mention that I picked up the Grex 635 23 g. pinner, and a selection of pins from 3/8" to 1 3/8". I have no immediate need for it, but when you need it, it is the only thing that will work. Grex seems to make a fine line of air tools. I will post a review when I put a few miles on it. I know, no pix . . .

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Alan, I played with that Grex pinner before I was examining the pneumatic angle sander. It's a nice tool...good feel. I'm always surprised at how often I find my pinner to be useful in the shop.