PDA

View Full Version : Guildcraft hollow mortise chisels-good??

Joe Tonich
02-19-2003, 5:21 PM
I need to get a 1/4" chisel for my mortiser. Looking thru ROCKLERS catalog they have a set of 4 chisels for $60 made by Guildcraft (which they say are by Fisch) or a 1/4" Fisch for $40. Would I be better off buying the diff. sizes seperately or is the set of Guildcraft ones good? All opinions welcome.

Joe

Jennifer@Indy.USA
02-19-2003, 6:25 PM
Hi Joe,

I was in Rockler's today and was looking at that exact set of mortising chisels. I don't have a mortiser (yet) but was just looking for future reference. They were displayed with a set of bench chisels and also a set of fortsner bits all made by Guildcraft. My impression of all of these sets was below average quality. They just looked a bit "rough around the edges". The steel in the bench chisels looked the poorest to me.

I might take the advice that someone passed on to me once about eh mortising chisel sets and that was ...buy them as you need them.....and buy the best.

Anyway...that's just my measly 2 cents worth....take it for what it's worth. .02 cents!

Jennifer :cool:

Lee Lamb
02-19-2003, 6:33 PM
Joe:

I always use Delta's European made sets - stay away from their junky Asian made ones. Ornamental Tool and Supply is near you on Pearl Road. They have always provided good service and a good selection of products. The place has gotten kind of dingey over the years but you might want to check them out. Good luck with your project.

Michael Cody
02-19-2003, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Joe Tonich
I need to get a 1/4" chisel for my mortiser. Looking thru ROCKLERS catalog they have a set of 4 chisels for $60 made by Guildcraft (which they say are by Fisch) or a 1/4" Fisch for $40. Would I be better off buying the diff. sizes seperately or is the set of Guildcraft ones good? All opinions welcome.

Joe

Guildcraft is Fisch's economy line ... basic asian chisels. I got a set with a Fisch mortiser I barted for some computer work, but I haven't had a chance to use them. Personally I expect if you make sure they are sharp, they will probably work ok. Personally though if I was buying a set to use on a already owned item, I would consider a set of Clico's .... cost is up there though. I bet the guildcrafts will cut a lot of mortises but maybe not so clean or so easy as a better chisel -- perhaps not hold an edge as well. A lot depends on your material and how many you are going to cut.