PDA

View Full Version : search function

Bert Kemp
06-15-2019, 3:14 PM
OK Maybe not the right place to post but my search has to do with laser cutting and George and Gary are infamous for telling us to search and I always do and I always become frustrated with the search results and I end up reading hundreds of irrelevant stuff. So help me with the search function.
I wanted to know what thin hardwood would cut easy on a laser. I did an advance search this is what I typed in

thin, hardwood, cuts easy on laser

this is what came up the first 10 results had nothing much to do with my ?411376So what should I ask for to find what I want????

John K Jordan
06-15-2019, 4:29 PM
Sometimes changing some of the keywords helps. I tried laser cut thin hardwood and saw threads related to hardwood laser engraving.

In addition to the built-in advanced search, you can try a google search with the "site" option from your browser, for example
site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood

With that, you can narrow the first search with exclusions, for example the "-" means not.
site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood -plywood -drying -images

Search for google search tips for other options

JKJ

Bert Kemp
06-16-2019, 12:50 AM
Sometimes changing some of the keywords helps. I tried laser cut thin hardwood and saw threads related to hardwood laser engraving.

In addition to the built-in advanced search, you can try a google search with the "site" option from your browser, for example
site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood

With that, you can narrow the first search with exclusions, for example the "-" means not.
site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood -plywood -drying -images

Search for google search tips for other options

JKJ

just did that same search found nothing of what I was looking for. I want to know which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser. I'm looking to cut 1/8th and which cut easiest Walnut, Hickory, Maple, Birch,Cherry ect ect
I

John K Jordan
06-16-2019, 12:56 AM
just did that same search found nothing of what I was looking for. I want to know which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser. I'm looking to cut 1/8th and which cut easiest Walnut, Hickory, Maple, Birch,Cherry ect ect
I

Do you have a laser? Maybe do some tests. You might keep in mind that within any species there can be considerable variation.

Gary Hair
06-16-2019, 7:05 AM
I

Sometimes the best search is to type in exactly what you are looking for. You want to know "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser", so why not simply google "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser".

Try this link http://bfy.tw/O824

Rob Damon
06-16-2019, 2:56 PM
What are you planning to use the laser cut thin wood for?

If for say "models" and other modelers use lasers to cut thins, then searching model building sites may get you better results as an example.

I would also assume that the regulars here that have lasers don't cut thins of different species or they would have jumped in with an answer or a link to a previous post.

From what I have experiment with on thin stock my 100w laser would be able to cut through any wood that is 1/8". Some may take higher power settings or more than one pass. I am pretty sure some woods burning would smell better than others. You are still going to end up with a burnt edge.
The only thing I have read online is "Avoid oily/resinous woods."

Bert Kemp
06-16-2019, 5:49 PM
Sometimes the best search is to type in exactly what you are looking for. You want to know "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser", so why not simply google "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser".

Try this link http://bfy.tw/O824which is exactly what I did:) google says alder. I came here first as we all have laser cutters and figured asking here would get quicker and better results then google guess I was wrong

Mike Null
06-17-2019, 7:36 AM
Bert
Can't help on the search issue but I have cut alder, maple, cherry, mahogany, walnut and oak with no issues. I would be leary of hickory and most exotics. I have also cut birch plywood with no problem as long as it was flat.

Bert Kemp
06-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Bert
Can't help on the search issue but I have cut alder, maple, cherry, mahogany, walnut and oak with no issues. I would be leary of hickory and most exotics. I have also cut birch plywood with no problem as long as it was flat.

Thanks Mike
T

Bill George
06-17-2019, 1:27 PM
I have some thin cut Red Cedar which is not a hardwood I know but it cuts like butter.

Bert Kemp
06-19-2019, 10:12 PM
I have some thin cut Red Cedar which is not a hardwood I know but it cuts like butter.

ea Im not fond of cedar for engraving and might be to fragile for what I want to cut.:)
Y