PDA

View Full Version : Buying machines and supplies

Dennis McCullen
06-15-2019, 7:05 AM
Who doesn't like a bargain? I was sent a 15% coupon last week from the R woodworking and had a frustrating experience with a very slow website before sending an email to customer service. After having used different versions of IE for my web browser for decades, cust serv replied that their website is "not compatible with Internet Explorer". I've only run into this a couple of times (at other vendors) in 20 + years of online shopping, but is it odd to "update" a website and have it incompatible with such a ubiquitous browser?? Also - the machine I was interested in was not to be bought using a promo code. No online message to that effect even after switching to Google Chrome. I have had a good experience with this company for many years, but this is a first and did not want to complain as much as to get the info out there to woodworkers who may experience similar. I guess they still take phone orders.

Jacob Reverb
06-15-2019, 7:29 AM
"Internet Exploder" :p and the ever-popular "File Damager"

Sorry, can't comment on your problems, as I wouldn't use Microsoft products on a bet. (BTW, Google Chrome is almost as trustworthy as My-You're-Soft®)

David Buchhauser
06-15-2019, 8:01 AM
Maybe try Mozilla Firefox. I have been using it for years with absolutely no problems. I used to have lots of problems with IE.
David

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

(https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/)

Mike Cutler
06-15-2019, 8:03 AM
If they're not compatible with the latest version of IE, which browsers are they compatible with?
We can all throw stones at Internet Explorer, but it is probably still the dominant browser.
I use Mozilla on a Mac.

David Buchhauser
06-15-2019, 8:10 AM
If they're not compatible with the latest version of IE, which browsers are they compatible with?
We can all throw stones at Internet Explorer, but it is probably still the dominant browser.
I use Mozilla on a Mac.

Research indicates that Chrome is the dominant browser. IE and FF are tied for second.

David Buchhauser
06-15-2019, 8:17 AM
Dennis,
Did you mean Rockler? Can't find any site named "R Woodworking".
David

Brian W Evans
06-15-2019, 10:33 AM
+1 for Firefox. I also use Chrome.

Internet Explorer was discontinued in 2015, although it is still maintained, so newer sites may rely on features of HTML, CSS, or other technologies that are not supported in IE.

Microsoft's new browser - Edge - is in the process of switching to be based on Chromium - the open-source version of Google Chrome.

Frank Pratt
06-15-2019, 11:35 AM
I haven't use IE for years & don't know anyone who does use it.