PDA

View Full Version : Santa indeed did come early

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Well here is the little beast in the flesh. We just rolled in from Denver. After a trip to see the loml's dad in the VA home we then went to the mall and then on to Woodcraft store. So far I have gotten a pen mill, two mandrel's with #2 MT, 2 sets of 7 MM bushings, some CA glue, Micro Mesh, 7 MM brad point bit, a 3 chisel set and finish. The gentleman that helped me was a turner and gave me some HUT Crystal Coat for 1/2 off to try. He said he likes it a lot and then top it with Renisance Wax. He showed me a pen he used that on and it was beautiful. I also got 5 slim line pen kits. He ask me about blanks and I told him I have 5 locust, 5 ash and 5 walnut cut and waiting but just wanted 5 for now. He said thats great. Anyway soooooo much stufffffffff and SWMBO said that is enough to start. :mad: I figured I had better not argue since she was paying. Got one of my books yesterday so will be do some reading. Thanks for all the help so far but I can see more question coming down the pike. Ain't that right Bob! :eek:

Bill Stevener
12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Well Bernie, good for you, how did you get all of that in a stocking??

And WHOW I love the photos, another clean shop:D .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
12-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Folks, this guy hasn't even made one shaving yet and he's already discovered a new finish. BUGOUT!

So the race is on. Who will post their first turned thing. Bob or Bernie? Or Ken?

Mark Singer
12-11-2005, 11:30 PM
I am hoping for Santa too....I have been very good all year,

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_2004_retired_files/Flat_belt_machine_shop_-01_-_BIG_drill_and_large_lathe.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Yea Andy not only is it good finish but it kills the #$%@ crickets and spiders.

Yea Bill the little lady got the shop vac out and cleaned my bench for the new lathe. So I took her out to a nice dinner in Denver this evening in Denver.

It will probably be like one of the comments in a post to Bob. The first pen will probably end up in the next itty bitty contest. Hope not.

Bob Noles
12-12-2005, 6:29 AM
Bernie,

A great big congrats on that new arrival. I just rolled myself out of bed and checked in and there it was.... living proof of your sins this weekend :D

That is a nice looking machine and appears to be brand new even though it has been used once or twice. I think you are going to beat me out on the first turning as I am bogged down with building a bench for mine and then will need to break from the shop in a few days for the holiday and spend some time with my Mrs. Claus. You are a fantastic shopper and achieved the goal within a given budget...... better restraint than I had :eek:

Go fire that thing up and get some pictures posted for these folks. They don't think we can do it :p Don't forget the face shield!

John Hart
12-12-2005, 7:52 AM
Congratulations Bernie!!!! I like the Crystal Coat for pens too. Don't care for it much on anything else...but it behaves well on the smaller things. Can't wait for your first pieces to roll off!!!:)

Mark.....You say that I think big????? Sheesh!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Mark, holy cow. I hope santa is good and brings you that lathe. Then you to could join the itsy bitsy contest.

Ron Ainge
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Congrats on the lathe, now it is time to make some wood chips. I go to the Woodcraft store in Denver at least once a week and they do have a bunch of nice guys working there. Keep up your interest in this site and you will be able to ask all the questions you want. There is a learing curve to turning and if I ever get that curve mastered I will let everyone know. I don't think that will happen in my lifetime because everytime I think that I have something about as good as I can do it someone shows me a new trick and I am off again, and having a great time along the way.

John Hart
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
My sentiments exactly Ron. I have a pile of bowls and vases that I'll never let out of the house because I always learn something new that makes my last piece seem.....well....sorta yukky. Perfection may never be acheived...I'll need to build a storage barn. :o

Bruce Smith
12-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Good heavens,that is some shop that Mark has but show us the woodworking machinery Mark. I don't think there are any shops in this area not even commercial shops with machinery operating off of line shafts and crown face pulleys.

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 9:53 PM
Congrats, Bernie! Welcome to the addiction!! LOL! :D

Keith Burns
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Great acquisition Bernie, now lets see some SHAVINGS !!!!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Somehow I knew this was going to happen. Went into work today and my boss calls and said you need to go down south. So I will be on the road for 2 or 3 days.:mad: :mad: Oh well it will be there when I return. Kinda wanting to try this turning thing.

Carole Valentine
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Congrats, Bernie! But I don't think you are really going out of town...I think that is just an excuse so you can put off posting pics of your first turnings for a few days...just like Bob, and his bench-holiday-Mrs. Klaus excuses!:rolleyes: We want to see SHAVINGS! Now!:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Congratulations Bernie. Looks like a nice setup. Strap yourself down for the ride.:eek:

ernie

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 8:48 AM
Way to go, Bernie! And you too have now been assimilated!:D Fun addiction to have, though! Enjoy and we'll be expecting project pics real, real soon!!!:) :cool: