PDA

View Full Version : Robo calls in Chinese?

Rick Potter
06-13-2019, 1:39 PM
I have been getting robo calls on my cell phone for a while now, but not nearly as many as I get on the home phone. Lately I have been getting calls in Chinese on the cell phone, but not on the home phone.

Two questions:

Anyone else getting Chinese calls?

Why do I seem to have a difference between the calls on cell and the ones at home?

Scott Donley
06-13-2019, 2:31 PM
I have gotten a couple on my google voice number but none on my land line or cell. It has been interesting seeing how Voice does the transcribing :)

Adam Herman
06-13-2019, 2:59 PM
we get them at work on a line with a Houston area code every few weeks or so.

Jon Nuckles
06-13-2019, 3:14 PM
I have received a bunch of the robocalls in what sounds like Chinese. Wonder what list of numbers they are working from. Hard to sell or scam if people can’t understand your spiel.

Andrew Hughes
06-13-2019, 3:29 PM
I get them Rick. Today I’ve gotten 4 spam calls on my cell and many more on the landline.

Wojciech Tryc
06-13-2019, 3:44 PM
Here in Canada, they are targetting Chinese immigrants trying to get them to pay for some family scares back in China.

Joe Hendershott
06-13-2019, 7:53 PM
Get them a couple times a week here in Atlanta.

Myk Rian
06-13-2019, 9:53 PM
I had 2 a couple months ago. Black listed them, and no more.

Rick Potter
06-14-2019, 2:34 AM
Wow,

I thought maybe I was special.

Seriously, there are quite a few Chinese in this area, so I guess it follows they would not be immune to the problem. Strange I never get any in Spanish, though.

Frank Pratt
06-14-2019, 10:06 AM
I just had my first a couple of days ago and it was on my cell phone. I gotta say that listening to that Chinese voice was so much more pleasant that hearing that ***** 'Sharon from Google' yelling in my ear.

I very rarely get marketing calls of any kind on my cell, but the land line at work gets at least 3 or 4 robocalls a day & many days 10+.

Doug Dawson
06-14-2019, 10:36 AM
I just had my first a couple of days ago and it was on my cell phone. I gotta say that listening to that Chinese voice was so much more pleasant that hearing that ***** 'Sharon from Google' yelling in my ear.

If I ever got any of these, it would be a good opportunity to practice my chinese.

William Chain
06-16-2019, 11:02 AM
They’re calling this one ‘vishing’ as it’s some kind of scam targeting Chinese immigrants, students, etc telling them their visa is in jeopardy requiring a trip to the local embassy and of course a payment. If you are near a university, you’ll get double the amount of these calls. It’s causing a big problem for VoIP systems especially.

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2019, 10:04 PM
I had a voicemail message in either Chinese or Vietnamese the other day on the house phone (VOIP). Nomorobo does a pretty good job on that line so it's certainly possible it was just a wrong number, especially in this area.