PDA

View Full Version : Any guides out there for Stanley chisels?

Glenn Crocker
12-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Today I picked up a bevel edge similar to a #750 but marked "D". I can't find any info on it.
I've ran across several Stanley chisels from time to time and can't find much info on them, either. My copy of John Walters' guide to Stanley tools shows 35 or so different model numbers and sets ranging from #20 through #766. The only ones I ever read anything about on the Web are #720, #750, and the Everlasting series. Most of my search hits on the Web simply point to chisels for sale - little or no info there except for prices.
Where do yall find your info on Stanley chisels?

Tony Sade
12-11-2005, 10:43 PM
http://users.ev1.net/~gmuster/TypeStudy/type_studies.htm

Glenn Crocker
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the link, Tony. It's an interesting site and a good start.

I remember a reply to a thread posted on this forum (I think) a few months back regarding the "D" marking - I think it designated "defect" - but the search function will not recognize the single letter D.

Does anyone remember something similar, or am I dreaming this up?

Peter Mc Mahon
12-13-2005, 5:00 AM
Go to Woodnet forums and ask Todd Hughes in the handtool forum. I am sure he will know. Peter

jay hanks
12-13-2005, 10:16 AM
I think the D on the chisel can either stand for defect or the Defiance line of chisels. Various discussion's on other boards seem to conclude either way it is still a good chisel. Todd H has said on the one's maker defective he coulndt tell that anything was wrong.

Glenn Crocker
12-13-2005, 10:44 PM
The civility and expertise I have found here at SMC is refreshing. Thanks to all for the input. I'll post as suggested at Wood Central and then get back to making shavings and chips.