View Full Version : Help - New Jointer or New Planer which one first?

Steve Harman
06-12-2019, 2:26 PM
I have an old Delta 8" jointer - Yes shimmed and all
Also have a Delta Lunchbox planer - Fast speed only works

I am looking to upgrade both machines but have to pick one first.
Which one should i get?

Roger Feeley
06-12-2019, 2:38 PM
That 8" jointer seems like it's in a better league than the planer. I would go for the planer. I got rid of a lunchbox for a 15" Powermatic with helical head. Big improvement. Someday I may upgrade from my 6" Delta jointer but I'm not in a hurry.

Grant Wilkinson
06-12-2019, 3:19 PM
I'm with Roger.

Bill Space
06-12-2019, 4:59 PM
I am with a Roger too...:)

Jim Becker
06-12-2019, 5:35 PM
Planer first if you intend to do separates. But...this is certainly an opportunity to consider a J/P combo that will give you wide face jointing capability that matches your thicknessing capacity, too. And that comes in a more attractive footprint. Many threads here on J/Ps and many folks, including myself, enjoy them.

Mike Kees
06-12-2019, 7:16 PM
Steve I would definitely say the planer is the weaker link in your system.Unless the jointer is a benchtop unit. Also have to say if i was doing it again I would lean towards the jointer/planer combo. That would have to be a 16''' unit for me now ,so would be expensive. So if separates Planer first or combo and you are done.Man it is fun helping other people spend money.:D

Mike King
06-12-2019, 7:25 PM
I agree with @Jim Becker -- a great time to upgrade to a combo. I've used the full 16" of my jointer fairly frequently!

Mike

Matt Day
06-12-2019, 9:39 PM
Planer for sure, or J/P if you’ve got the cash!

Mike Cutler
06-13-2019, 4:34 AM
Another planer vote.
if your jointer is working right now. Yeah,planer.

Steve Harman
06-13-2019, 6:20 AM
What's this Jointer/Planer combo you speak of Guys? - Just kidding - which brand would give 16" of jointing width?

Matt Day
06-13-2019, 7:12 AM
I retract part of my last post. I really prefer separates so I’d recommend getting a planer. If you’ve got the room, which likely isn’t much more, separates are more convenient.

Chris Hachet
06-13-2019, 7:57 AM
That 8" jointer seems like it's in a better league than the planer. I would go for the planer. I got rid of a lunchbox for a 15" Powermatic with helical head. Big improvement. Someday I may upgrade from my 6" Delta jointer but I'm not in a hurry.

This absolutely.

Chris Hachet
06-13-2019, 7:58 AM
I retract part of my last post. I really prefer separates so I’d recommend getting a planer. If you’ve got the room, which likely isn’t much more, separates are more convenient.

As do I. My friends have Euro style combo machines which are nice, but I prefer my Powermatic Jointer and Planer.

Mike King
06-13-2019, 9:49 AM
What's this Jointer/Planer combo you speak of Guys? - Just kidding - which brand would give 16" of jointing width?
Felder AD741.

Mike King
06-13-2019, 9:52 AM
If you have the space. And budget.

While it would be ideal to have separates, I've found that I'd prefer to have the width of my combo jointer over the convenience of separates. But that may just be me in my limited shop space.

Mike

Jim Becker
06-13-2019, 9:54 AM

:D

Felder/Hammer and SCM/Minimax are the brands most discussed. Both companies produce great gear. I'm all SCM/Minimax because that was what appealed to me when I was buying, but would happily get the same utility from Felder/Hammer for similarly equipped machines. None of these tools are "inexpensive" for the initial buy, but the capacities and quality are really great to have over time.

Prashun Patel
06-13-2019, 9:54 AM
Got space? Go separate.

Nice thing about J/P's: you can get helical on both functions for the price of one. I have a Hammer A341

The way I work, I find I usually have slightly more jointing capacity and slightly less planing capacity than I really need.

Mike Kees
06-13-2019, 10:53 AM
I was looking to upgrade my jointer last year and went to look at a Cantek 12'' jointer ,the guy selling wanted $ 3500. I was on Kijiji a day later and found a Paolini 16'' jointer 4 hours away for $2400. I bought it. About a month later there was a SCM 16'' jointer/planer that had been in storage for years,wish I had found it first.

Ron Citerone
06-13-2019, 7:00 PM
Planer for sure. I had an old 8" Delta jointer all shimmed up too, but it still got it done.

Allan Speers
06-13-2019, 7:08 PM
Planer.

You really don't even need a jointer, unless you do production work.
I got by nicely for the past 14 years with just a planer. (Though upgrading from a lunchbox to a PM100 made a huge difference.)
I used a very nice planer sled, and hand planes when I had the time & wanted the exercise.

Only this year have I decided to look for a good jointer. I want one just for convenience, when time is tight and I have long boards to work. - And 8" should be plenty, as you can still do 2/3 of a 12" board, then run it through you planer with a support underneath one side

If I had a 20" planer, then of course I'd want a 12" jointer.

-----------------

Then again, that $2800 Grizzly 12" J/P is pretty cool, esp the shallow fence mechanism. If I had the money, I might consider that.
But my powermatic is a better machine, has longer tables, and has a true Shelix head. (The grizzly only has a spiral head.)

Felder? Well yeah, in my dreams.

ray grundhoefer
06-13-2019, 7:15 PM
I think you should get rid of that jointer and buy a new one. Just dump it by the side of the road preferably right next to my driveway please

Jim Becker
06-13-2019, 8:32 PM
That's kinda subjective...;) I wouldn't want to be without a jointer, particularly a wide one. I like to flatten lumber as the first step of preparing project components. Yea, one can kinda do that with a sled, wedges and a planer, but I don't pweaonlLY find that appealing.

Mike Cutler
06-14-2019, 4:27 PM
Planer.

I'm not sure I'm on board with that statement Allan. It would be very dependent on the type of projects you do. Production, or not.
I don't do anything even remotely close to production work and wouldn't want to be without a jointer.

Scott Bernstein
06-15-2019, 2:45 PM
I recently took delivery of my Hammer A3-41, which I had ordered some time ago. So far it’s been fantastic. Converting to and from planer/jointer mode is a snap. Way more capacity than my old 6” Grizzly jointer and my DeWalt 735 planer. I also added some of the options like the the digital planer height gauge and the 18” aluminum jointer table extensions. Really a pleasure. For me the space-saving characteristics of a combination machine were important.

Scott