PDA

View Full Version : I need a printer

Ron Jones near Indy
12-11-2005, 10:33 PM
What printer do you recommend? I've had good luck with Canon products, and I like the individual ink cartridges for each color. My Canon BJC 6000 is dead after about 12,000 pages (estimated by cartons of paper used). I am considering a color laser printer but the cost is a factor. I understand that the inexpensive ones have a higher operating cost per copy. An ink jet printer is more suited to the budget. I have looked digital camera/printer combo units but those printers seem dedicated to photos. I need to mainly print 8 1/2 by 11 paper. Any suggestions?

Jim Dunn
12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Hewlitt Packard. I've got two of em. Like em both. One has a port for my digital camera. The other is a fax machine and copier as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I have an HP, a Lexmark and my wife has a Canon for photos.

The HP and the Lexmark are scanners, printers, fax machines. The HP and the Lexmark get more use. Both are good machines. If you're not worried about printing photos, I check to see which one has the cheapest replacement cartridges. A lot of good, cheap color printers out there but the price of cartridges is often the biggest longterm expense.

The Canon my wife has for photos is brand new; does a wonderful job.

Vaughn McMillan
12-12-2005, 5:58 AM
After going through two Epson all-in-one units in rapid succession -- the last one only lived for about 6 months -- , I've switched to a low-end HP, and so far no complaints. (I've only had it a month or so.) HP seemed to have a pretty good reputation for reliability. It doesn't have separate cartridges for the different color inks, which so far has been the only negative point, although even on printers I've owned with separate cartridges I tend to run out of all colors at pretty close to the same time.

- Vaughn

Ed Lang
12-12-2005, 8:36 AM
Are you wanted to print color pictures? If so, inkjet or dye-Sub. I use a Canon CP-220 dyesub printer for my prints but I never print large prints at home, just snapshots. I farm out larger prints.

If you are printing black and white text, letters etc.... HP. I have a HP 1320 laser and love it. HP also makes a little brother to it for $199 retail and it is a great printer as well. No running ink with a laser if it gets wet, damp or fingers rub it. But, no picture printing either.

Color laser printers are much nicer now than a few years ago but they are still a LONG way from printing pictures good.

My opinion of course. Hope it helps.

Joe Pelonio
12-12-2005, 9:12 AM
At home we have the HP2400 which is scanner, fax, printer and has slots for various sizes if camera memory sticks. We have been happy with it though the ink is pretty expensive. Here at the shop I have the HP940C also works well, but with expensive ink, and a $49 Canon i250 that is not much for photos, and slow, but ink is only $7 Black/$10 color.

David LaRue
12-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Ron,

I have a lightly used ( about 7500 pages) Tektronics Phaser 740 that I'd like to sell. It is a network / work group color printer.

Travis Porter
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I have a combination of both HP and Canon. For pictures, I used the recommendation from Consumer Reports and bought a Canon I560. It has separate cartridges for each color which makes it cheaper and had good throughput. I would buy it again. I don't think it is still available, but its predecessor should still be around.

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm an Epson fan for photo printing, but would also be happy with HP. The only complaint I have about ALL of them is the cost of the ink cartridges...while you can get lesser cost alternatives for the disposables, they are not good for photo work. I always end up back with the OEM cartridges in that respect.

Ed Breen
12-16-2005, 6:19 PM
Ron,
When you mention 81/2 by 11 papere are you primrily interested in B&W printing of design and manuscripts? I use a hp 4050 which uses toner not ink cartridges. Panasonic laser model KX p 6500 is small but also uses toner and will produce 8!/2x!!.
For photos I use a Lexmark (IBM)
Ed

Michael Cody
12-16-2005, 7:15 PM
What printer do you recommend?

I need to mainly print 8 1/2 by 11 paper. Any suggestions?

Get a laser -- low end like a HP LJ1020, Samsung ML2010 (good printer).. Most printing needs (90%) can be covered by the above two machines.

If you need color then buy a cheap color printer as a 2nd printer and only use if for color -- you can get cheap ones for 40-50$ but the cartridges cost as much apiece.. that is what I tell all my customers now .. ink just costs to much.

Joe Tonich
12-16-2005, 9:53 PM
Ron,

I had a LexMark 605Z and the ink ran out of both cartridges. It would have cost me $65 to replace em, and I saw a HP PSC 1410 printer, scanner, copier for $13 more. I ended up buying the new printer, which seems to print better than my old one. Another good point about the HP is the ink cartridges go for $14, half the price of the LexMark. :D :D With 2 boys that like to print out stuff.........that's a GOOD thing!

Joe

Nick Adams
12-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Current Printers in use:

Epson Stylus Pro 4800 Professional Edition prduction work. and larger prints

HP1012 Laser for Qucik prints (pretty cheap both purchase and running cost 8 sec first page out.)

Also just recieved my new xerox phaser 8550/DT got it for around 1100$

Those are my favorites, by far the most used is the HP that I got from staples for 99 after a in store rebate. toner is 75-100 but I have yet to replace it after 9000 prints (roughly) Nice feature is econo mode which you can hardly tell does anything to quality but must extend toner life or I got real lucky. The epson is back at epson for refurb work (my fault 100%)
And well the Phaser is sitting next to my desk , yet to be opened but the print quality from the office next door with the same printer is outstanding.

It isn't a laser or a inkjet/dyesub. It uses a Solid ink process.