PDA

View Full Version : Floor level

jon stevenson
06-05-2019, 12:21 AM
Today is the day my speedy 400 arrived :) I just about have it set up and ready to rock however one small thing I never anticipated I am now questioning,
I assumed my speedy would have wheels and leveling screw legs, it appears to only have lockable wheels. My shop floor has a drain pan dead Center of the cement pad, so from all 4 corners of the cement pad there is a slight taper to the Center of the pad.
When in place my speedy has approx 1” of slope from extreme left side of the unit and the extreme right side (maybe 1/2 to 3/4” max across the bed width). The machine doesn’t rock, it feels stable, just not level left to right. Is this anything to worry about? or could it cause any trouble with the gantry?

Gary Hair
06-05-2019, 7:15 AM
It probably won't matter if it's not level but I would still shim it up and level it.

John Lifer
06-05-2019, 8:23 AM
It won't matter, but I use a small level on a LOT of things that aren't flat. Especially if I use my rotary. I guess you could get by without it, but it makes life way easier than eyeballing things. I'd make some doughnuts from plywood to get things close. (put wheel into center of doughnut to keep it from rolling off. Or just some oversized ply.

jon stevenson
06-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Thank you I will shim it, it is just a pain as one side is against a wall so to open the access door and clean the mirrors will be pain in the rear end.

Bill George
06-06-2019, 8:57 AM
Thank you I will shim it, it is just a pain as one side is against a wall so to open the access door and clean the mirrors will be pain in the rear end.

So you don't want to shim? Pour a new floor on top of the old and make it level.

jon stevenson
06-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Yes I have thought of that, I managed to for it shimmed perfectly level across the width, and am maybe off upto 1/8” off front to back. So it’s pretty darn good now but yes I have thought of forming a small pad, I will see how it is first. I did end up talking to Trotec and they said it will work ok un-leveled but expect bearings and motors to have a shorter life cycle.