PDA

View Full Version : What to turn first

Jim Kountz
12-11-2005, 4:50 PM
So here I am thinking that I would like to break away from furniture and cabinet making and try my hand at turning. A serious try this time as Ive done this before but never stuck with it. So instead of the same ol, "whats the best lathe for under $300" question, I would rather hear some opinion on what type of things would be good for a beginning turner. In other words, what are some things that could be used to teach the basics without overwhelming myself!! lol Ive always wanted to get into turning but was always so busy on other things. Now I have the time and really want to give it a shot. Im looking for a good entry level lathe right now and hope santa might bring me one. Thanks to all who may reply!

Jim Becker
12-11-2005, 5:02 PM
I think a new turner needs to work with both spindle turning and basic bowl turning. They are very different activities, yet can be complimentary over time, especially when it comes to feeling comfortable with your tools. Spindle work is the easiest to get your feet wet, err...covered with shavings...both because you need little in the way of accessories and use primarily dry wood (read: scraps), and because the "tool sets" that many folks start out with, contain primarily spindle turning tools. It's also why pen turning is often a person's introduction to the lathe. Basic bowl turning only requires a small (3" preferred) faceplate, a piece of waste wood to use as a glue block, the material you intend to turn (glued to the glue block with medium CA) and a small to medium sized bowl gouge. (Different than a spindle gouge)

That all said...the best way to get started turning is to get a mentor to help you out, either in person (check the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) local chapter list) or via any number of excellent videos available. Turning is very much a visual medium and seeing something done first really, really...did I happen to say, "really"....helps smooth things out in the beginning.

BTW, in addition to a lathe, you'll need the aformentioned tooling, safety gear (full face mask and safety glasses) and a way to sharpen your tools. (grinder with white/pink/blue AO wheels) CA glue (medium thickness) is a good thing to have on hand, too... ;)

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 5:40 PM
Jim,
Get a couple of books and a video or two (will come back with recommendations when I remember some titles..."Woodturning - A Foundation Course" is one and O'Donnell's Turning Green Wood is another.) If you can, visit an experienced turner or a club and see what good sharp tools feel and act like and how to achieve that grind and edge. I think more would-be turners get discouraged because their tools are not properly sharpened than any other single reason. That being said, IMHO everyone should start fooling with spindles at first. You learn the tools, tool presentation, the wood, how different grain cuts...just a plethora of important things. (Pens fall in the spindle category, BTW) While you are doing spindle work, learn the skew. Alan Lacer has some excellent videos on using the skew.When you are ready to turn a bowl, get a copy of Bill Grumbines Video. From there, you can learn to do anything you want.
As for a first lathe, mine was a Jet Mini and I still have it and still use it even though I now have a Nova. Unless you really need to pinche pennies, I don't think you can beat the Jet Mini. It's a smooth little lathe. PSI has a clone that is quite a bit cheaper than the Jet. I don't regret going with the Mini for my first lathe even though I upgraded in 10 months!
And above all, ASK QUESTIONS! The forums will cut your learning curve by a huge amount if you take advantage of them.
PS: I have been turning for less than a year so take my advice for what's it's worth! ;)

Bob Noles
12-11-2005, 6:39 PM
Jim,

Run while you still have a chance :eek: :D

Seriously Jim, if you still can't be convinced to take the above advice, then I highly recommend you go back and review my many posts of the last 3 weeks. I am a complete newbie as well as a blooming crazy man, and I worried these poor wood borers to death with questions. They were all kind enough to humor me and provided a wealth of information thtt would be of interest to you and anyone else brave enough to take another step toward the black hole.

Hey... good luck and my condolences. Just don't ask me any questions, as I still don't know anything yet.... but I'm learning :p

Chris Barton
12-11-2005, 8:47 PM
What Bob said plus, do spindle turning first... follow all the other suggestions and go to local meetings. Lots of searches on SMC...

Bob Yarbrough
12-11-2005, 9:41 PM
I bought the mini/midi Rikon at Woodcraft, basic pen turning equipment, and am now a confirmed addict. Just came in from the shop (where its a balmy 24 degrees?!?) after playing for several hours.

The Rikon seems to be a nice machine, and for the price of the Jet variable speed, I purchased the Rikon AND a Rikon 10" benchtop drill press.

Have fun and be safe.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Jim I was in Woodcraft today getting supplies for the new Delta LA220 I bought. The gentleman that helped me said he has been a turner for 20 yrs. or so. He showed me one of his pens and it was beautiful. He said to get a book called Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley, Pen Turners Wook Book by Barry Gross. He said to start with turning some spindles to get the hang of the tools and what they will do. Then go to basic pens, then basic bowls and then where ever you wanted from there.

Jim Kountz
12-12-2005, 2:43 PM
Well this is all getting very exciting for me now. Going shopping tomorrow and might make a purchase depending on what I find. Looking at the Jet mini or possibly a bigger lathe who knows!! Tools I have, my grandfather left me some very nice very old turning tools, thus my interest in all this. At 38 I think its a perfect time to put them to use. Ive been honing and sharpening them for the past few days using the techniques he showed me before he passed on. I would have his lathe too but some sneaky cousin of mine more or less stole it from me two days after granddad died. Family gotta love em!! Anyway thanks very much for the responses, I will take it all in and try to make an informed decision. I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks again!

Bob Noles
12-12-2005, 3:25 PM
Well this is all getting very exciting for me now. Going shopping tomorrow and might make a purchase depending on what I find. Looking at the Jet mini or possibly a bigger lathe who knows!! Tools I have, my grandfather left me some very nice very old turning tools, thus my interest in all this. At 38 I think its a perfect time to put them to use. Ive been honing and sharpening them for the past few days using the techniques he showed me before he passed on. I would have his lathe too but some sneaky cousin of mine more or less stole it from me two days after granddad died. Family gotta love em!! Anyway thanks very much for the responses, I will take it all in and try to make an informed decision. I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks again!

Sounds like it is too late for you...... Welcome to the Abiss :D

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 3:56 PM

Thanks again!
Jeez! I guess we'd better start having these guys take numbers or something so we can keep track of them all.

This guy Kountz comes outta nowhere to score a touchdown while that Fitzgerald fella is still incurring Delay of Game penalties.

Welcome Jim. We're a little nuts in this forum, so I guess you'll fit right in:D

Chip Sutherland
12-12-2005, 4:16 PM
I second Carol's comments. DVDs she mentioned are in my library and extremely useful. I also took a class at Woodcraft but that was 2 yrs before I started turning. I haven't joined a Turning club, yet, but I travel 50%. I still have my Jet Mini. Carol managed to hang on for 10 months; I upgraded at 6 months. Darn addiction. I know I'll end up getting a bigger lathe at some point but I've got colleges and weddings to pay for first...unless they marry rich and elope....one can only hope.

Bill Stevener
12-12-2005, 5:33 PM
No one has yet suggested trying wood.:D

Jim, welcome to the round side, hope you nave a camera, this bunch will just beet you to death with out photos.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Kountz
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Well between the weather, work, school plays and other stuff I have yet to actually look at some lathes yet. In person anyway. I always drool over the catalogs like any good woodworker should but I really want to see some lathes up close before buying. Now we're supposed to get an ice storm which will strand me here again for the next few days. Whew, I love buying new tools but sometimes its really hard!

Bill Stevener
12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Jim, have you watched the new TV program, Attic treasures, I believe that's what it's called. Anyway I sold a bunch of treasures (to some), junk (well some of it) on the unmentionable auction site, and bought a new lathe for the back shop today. However, I have been collecting this good junk for over 40 years. Time for someone else to enjoy this good junk.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)