PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth earmuffs

Martin Sculburg
06-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Hi, guys!

Looking for opinions here.

I had a gift card to Lowes, even though I dislike the store I bought their Bluetooth earmuffs for like $79.

Put them on and was immediately disappointed. Not comfortable and the Bluetooth setting was way too quite. Will be returning tomorrow...

Willing to pay the extra $25 for the Bluetooth feature. Anyone got some suggestions on good ones?

I paid attention to this list of muffs: https://homecarechoices.org/bluetooth-hearing-protection/. And also noticed this option: https://youtu.be/XVA8NJXZYcI.

So what would you say? Personal experience: likes, dislikes, waiting vs. reality?

I'll be glad to read all your stories and suggestions.

Thank you!

Patrick Kane
06-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Martin,

I unfortunately do not have any recommendations to offer, but i am also interested in upgrading my hearing protection with a bluetooth set. I currently use the 3M/Peltor red and black cheapies that were like $15.

ChrisA Edwards
06-03-2019, 12:21 PM
I bought a set of these MPOW ($49) about a year ago, they have decent volume and clear audio.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-10RBT, which cost 5 times the amount of the MPOW, but the MPOW out perform them in noisy areas.

The MPOW also have active noise cancelling which you can turn on or off and you can hear the noise cancelling difference as soon as you turn it on.

I'm very pleased with the MPOW, thy last all day on a charge while I bluetooth audio from my iPhone, which I leave plugged into a charger while in the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYZWS53/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61JtodywKZL._SL1500_.jpg

Bradley Gray
06-03-2019, 12:26 PM
I have wireless bluetooth earbuds that I wear inside regular earmuffs - works great!

Bruce Page
06-03-2019, 1:27 PM
I also have a pair of MPOW blue tooth head phones. They are good at reducing general shop noise; Table saw. DC, shop vac, but lacking in really loud noise protection like aggressive cutting on my cnc router, my PC7518 table router, or my leaf blower. For those things I wear my 3M Pelter X5 ear muffs with 31 dB reduction.

Neil Gaskin
06-03-2019, 2:39 PM
We have several pair of 3m work tunes in the shop. They work well.

johnny means
06-03-2019, 3:35 PM
We issued the 3M Work Tunes at work. They work well enough, but no one is going to mistake them for audiophile level equipment. I like that they also have AM/FM built in.

Jim Becker
06-03-2019, 8:44 PM
I use the 3M WorkTunes headphones with the Bluetooth feature...they get a lot of use in the shop when I'm running my CNC and J/P and also when I'm out mowing on my ZTR. I'm very happy with them for the most part. I'd prefer better bass response, but I've found that almost all of these things underperform in that respect. I even sent back a set of IsoTunes for that reason...I found the sound to be pretty horrible and tinny.

Yonak Hawkins
06-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Martin, I use Sony MDR-10RBT over-the-ear headphones. They work well for me. One thing that's important to look for is a unit that will receive two signals at the same time. That way, I can listen to the source : music, radio or TV and I will hear my phone ring and answer it through the headphones (if I can get the dust mask off fast enough).

George Liverman
06-03-2019, 11:02 PM
I also use the 3M WorkTunes, both in the shop and while on the lawn tractor. They pair easily and I find them to be comfortable to wear for long periods. Agree that they're not audiophile, but they are acceptable and for $50 bucks on Amazon, quite reasonable.

Patrick Kane
06-04-2019, 10:52 AM
I worry about active noise cancellation, because it just tricks your ear into not "hearing" the sound by mirroring the sound wave of the disturbance, correct? Atleast, that is my ignorant and probably incorrect understanding of the technology. I guess what im getting at is active noise cancellation doesnt protect your body from harmful exposure to high decibel ratings. What i currently wear is rated to 32-34 dB reduction. I notice the wortktunes are only 24dB. Is this significant from a longterm perspective?

Chris Schoenthal
06-04-2019, 1:25 PM
I guess I've got a little different take on hearing protection. Having done many stupid things in my youth (not worn protection in the shop and while shooting, rock concerts that were too loud, being in a jazz band in front of the lead trumpet, etc.), I've developed tinnitus. I don't want to have everything muted when wearing headphones, so I bought several of the HF electronic ear muffs ($15) to keep around the shop. They kick in on anything over 85 db and are rated at 24 db reduction. However, they amplify ​surrounding sounds under normal conditions. Most of the time I have a radio on in the shop and when I'm operating a machine, I don't want to be distracted by listening to something. For extended sanding periods, I'll put earbuds under the headphones.

ChrisA Edwards
06-04-2019, 1:33 PM
I worry about active noise cancellation, because it just tricks your ear into not "hearing" the sound by mirroring the sound wave of the disturbance, correct? Atleast, that is my ignorant and probably incorrect understanding of the technology. I guess what im getting at is active noise cancellation doesnt protect your body from harmful exposure to high decibel ratings. What i currently wear is rated to 32-34 dB reduction. I notice the wortktunes are only 24dB. Is this significant from a longterm perspective?

From reading a few articles on the Internet, there is nothing I've read that the cancellation of the noise causes any bad effect, the noise cancelling creates a 180 degree frequency reverse noise, that cancels out the original noise before it gets to your ears.

My two sets of noise cancelling headphones also do not block out all the sound, you'll just hear lower levels of that sound. So I can still hear my tablesaw cutting or other tools when in use.

So if I rate my table saw as a 10 in volume level, with my headphones it's probably a 5 without noise cancelling and with the noise cancelling active it drops to a 3.

Bob Cooper
06-05-2019, 11:24 PM
I tried several sets of Bluetooth headphones and none were great. What works for me is wireless ear buds— LG ones that Best Buy sells — plus good ear muffs over the top of them

Brian W Evans
06-06-2019, 5:29 PM
+1 for the 3M Worktunes. I think they sound very good for $50, the battery lasts a long time, and they really do reduce outside noise quite well. My only two problems are: 1) my son keeps stealing them to mow the lawn, and 2) I can't hear my wife calling me if I'm wearing them (may not actually be a problem. YMMV).

Joe Hendershott
06-06-2019, 8:17 PM
I can't hear my wife calling me if I'm wearing them.

Just ordered them.:D

Bruce Wrenn
06-06-2019, 8:58 PM
I have two pairs of the "Work Tunes," neither of which is blue tooth When in the shop, i use a FM transmitter from Walmart to stream you tube, CD's, or music from Direct TV. One of the best investments for head phones is HF rechargable NiMH batteries. Always keep a fresh pair on the ready for both head phones and transmitter.

Kevin Jenness
06-06-2019, 11:35 PM
I worry about the disconnection from the shop environment that I associate with music headphones.I have not used them but have worked around a couple of people who do. It seemed to me that it was harder to get their attention than when they were without the apparatus. I rely on my hearing, diminished though it is, to alert me to things needing attention, changes in machinery sounds for instance. Do any of you users feel that your aural awareness is affected?

Jim Becker
06-07-2019, 9:05 AM
Kevin, in some situations, I believe what you ask about can be true. OTOH, it also depends upon the person. Many folks automatically put the music in the background while they focus on work...I'm like that. I'm "hearing music" but I'm not concentrating on the tune, if you understand what I mean. It's a pleasant additional way of knocking down the high sound levels from my J/P or the CNC machine when it's cutting wood with something other than a very small cutter. Even when I'm not wearing the 3M Worktunes, I have the same music on quite loud in my shop as it is! That said, there are some days when I work with no music for a bit...it depends on my mood.

Chris Schoenthal
06-07-2019, 9:20 AM
Kevin, in some situations, I believe what you ask about can be true. OTOH, it also depends upon the person. Many folks automatically put the music in the background while they focus on work...I'm like that. I'm "hearing music" but I'm not concentrating on the tune, if you understand what I mean. It's a pleasant additional way of knocking down the high sound levels from my J/P or the CNC machine when it's cutting wood with something other than a very small cutter. Even when I'm not wearing the 3M Worktunes, I have the same music on quite loud in my shop as it is! That said, there are some days when I work with no music for a bit...it depends on my mood.

I hear some that listen to podcasts while working, which is quite different from music in the background.

I'm not sure that I could do that, but after 40 years of marriage I like to think that I can tune out anything.

Eliot Mays
06-07-2019, 10:05 AM
I use a pair of Soupdpeats wireless earbuds that work wonderfully. I can hear if my phone rings, they have great sound, they don't make me hot like earmuffs, they are cheap, and while they don't eliminate all of the exterior sound (nor do I want them to) they provide a great level of protection. The only issue I've ever had with them is when I am chewing gum, they slowly work their way loose.

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Microphone/dp/B07MX1XL1V/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3O8JL73WBINB0&keywords=soundpeats+true+wireless+earbuds&qid=1559915947&s=gateway&sprefix=soundpeats%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3

Rod Sheridan
06-07-2019, 12:58 PM
We have several pair of 3m work tunes in the shop. They work well.

I also own a pair and use them in the shop and when using the snow blower......Rod

Jim Becker
06-07-2019, 3:59 PM
I hear some that listen to podcasts while working, which is quite different from music in the background.

I'm not sure that I could do that, but after 40 years of marriage I like to think that I can tune out anything.
I couldn't do that for sure. I have to pause my work a little in the mid-afternoon when Live at the World Café has an interesting interview of some musician I like because I can't focus on the spoken word and to critical work with my hands at the same time. "Just music", however, isn't distracting for me.

I don't do pod-casts or audio books...that's Professor Dr. SWMBO's passion. But she has an hour and a half choo-choo commute each way on the days she has to go into the city to teach or for meetings/office hours.

Rod Sheridan
06-07-2019, 4:17 PM
Hi, I find the reduction in background noise reduces my fatigue level and allows me hear important sounds more easily.

That’s why I wear earplugs when riding as well ......Rod

Brian W Evans
06-07-2019, 4:34 PM
I worry about the disconnection from the shop environment that I associate with music headphones.I have not used them but have worked around a couple of people who do. It seemed to me that it was harder to get their attention than when they were without the apparatus. I rely on my hearing, diminished though it is, to alert me to things needing attention, changes in machinery sounds for instance. Do any of you users feel that your aural awareness is affected?

I like to hear my tools and minimize distractions in the shop, too. I only use my Worktunes when sanding or doing something else that is monotonous and has a very low risk of injury. I never wear them when cutting, routing, planing, etc. For those tasks I wear regular hearing protection.

One thing that is nice about bluetooth headphones is that my phone rings through the headphones (and I get text/email alerts), so I don't miss calls.

Mikail Khan
06-07-2019, 6:09 PM
I have gone through about 5 pairs of work tunes over the last few years. The current model no longer has replaceable pads for around your ears. Trying out the Howard leight fm/mp3 earmuffs now. A bluetooth model is available.

MK

johnny means
06-08-2019, 1:29 AM
I've never run into any hearing protection/ headphone that will mute the sound of any shop machine. Sometimes I wonder of I'm experiencing that bone hearing phenomenon and if it's still bad for the ears.

Jim Becker
06-08-2019, 9:25 AM
Sometimes I wonder of I'm experiencing that bone hearing phenomenon and if it's still bad for the ears.
I kinda believe this is probably accurate, at least for some frequencies.

Jon Nuckles
06-09-2019, 10:53 PM
I use the Worktunes with bluetooth and like most things about them. I usually wear them only for long sanding or planing sessions. They alert you to incoming phone calls only when you are listening via the bluetooth feature. If you are listening to the radio they do not alert you to a call.

Livingston Johnston
06-10-2019, 6:54 AM
I've been using Isotunes pro for over a year and I'm very happy. Effective with even the loudest shaper cutters. Bluetooth avoids cords and they are small enough to fit in your pocket. Also do well on phone calls

Brian Holcombe
06-10-2019, 8:16 AM
I like to be 'up' all day and I find music to help with that. I have blue tooth ear buds covered by headphones and I have turned off the noise cancellation aspect of the blue tooth ear buds. I don't want my shop to be silent to me, but I want the tools at a safe hearing level.

I always have my music set at a level that I can easily hear the machinery. I think this is important for many reasons, safety primarily but also if something is going on with the cut or machine I want to be made aware of it quickly and hearing is an important part of that.

cody michael
06-10-2019, 9:33 AM
Work tunes here also, I just bought them a few weeks ago but I love them, Even wear them for quieter task because they sound good and are easy to connect.

Cliff Polubinsky
06-10-2019, 9:22 PM
I've had good luck with the ION Tough Sounds headphones.

Cliff

Roger Feeley
06-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Jim,

Can you tell me what happens when you have the headphones paired with your phone and you receive an incoming call while listening to the FM radio?
That's what I want. I want to put on my headphones and turn on the radio and listen while I work. But, when there is an incoming call, I want to be notified. I don't care if the headphones stream the phone call. I just want to know when I get the call. I'm perfectly happy finishing my cut, powering down the machine, powering down the dust collector, turning off the other radio in the room and then returning the call.

My understanding from the folks at 3M is that the only indication I would get for an incoming call is that the FM radio would drop out. That, to me, is not sufficient.

I use the FM Worktunes all the time in my shop and like them a lot. But what they lack is a way for me to know that I've received a call when running a machine.

So, here's the test:
-- make sure the worktunes are paired with your phone.
-- put them in FM mode
-- have someone call you

Rege Sullivan
06-12-2019, 10:54 PM
I've tried a couple brands. Some wired, some bluetooth. I've settled on ISOtunes pro. They work well at noise reduction, sound pretty good and work really well for phone calls even in moderately noisy environments. The battery gets you through a 10 hour day. Only complaint is replacement ear buds are stupid expensive for a small piece of foam.

David Utterback
06-15-2019, 11:43 AM
I moved away from muffs many years ago due to noise leakage around the safety glass arms. (I have a severe noise-induced bi-lateral hearing loss from exposure in my youth, most of which was from music.) I just destroyed my ISOtunes Pro with my excessive sweating while mowing the yard. There was a water swishing sound just before they gave out.

The best noise cancelling hearing protection I have found is SensGard which is a passive devices, i.e. no electronics. Their noise reduction performance is much better in actual use than ISOtunes but they are not Bluetooth capable.

For those using the ear pods, do they provide sufficient noise reduction? I have seen some in use, but always doubted their protection factors. If they are not limiting the external noise, the output volume would be have to be greater which would increase the hearing damage.

I've tried a couple brands. Some wired, some bluetooth. I've settled on ISOtunes pro. They work well at noise reduction, sound pretty good and work really well for phone calls even in moderately noisy environments. The battery gets you through a 10 hour day. Only complaint is replacement ear buds are stupid expensive for a small piece of foam.