PDA

View Full Version : Either I am loosing interest or - -

lowell holmes
06-01-2019, 3:01 PM
-I have seen everything.
I subscribe to woodworking magazines and I use to read them and keep them on the coffee table for awhile to revisit them.
I just received a new issue if one and it took about 20 minutes to look through it and put it down. I may file 13 it.

Am I the only one to experience this?

Lee Schierer
06-01-2019, 3:10 PM
That is pretty much why I no longer subscribe to any paper wood magazines.

Doug Dawson
06-01-2019, 3:19 PM
-I have seen everything.
I subscribe to woodworking magazines and I use to read them and keep them on the coffee table for awhile to revisit them.
I just received a new issue if one and it took about 20 minutes to look through it and put it down. I may file 13 it.

Am I the only one to experience this?

They can help you to keep up with what is trending in the mainstream, as opposed to weird fads on the intewebs. If you're into that sort of reality check thing.

lowell holmes
06-01-2019, 5:04 PM
You are correct. However, I remember when they had writers that produced articles that were instructional and entertaining.

Matt Day
06-01-2019, 5:54 PM
Lowell, you posted basically the same thread two weeks ago.

In both threads you’re right though.

lowell holmes
06-01-2019, 5:56 PM
I forgot about the old thread.

Old dogs tend to forget.

Jim Koepke
06-01-2019, 6:00 PM
I forgot about the old thread.

Old dogs tend to forget.

For me it was forgetting to renew magazine subscriptions… As in forgetting on purpose and for the same reasons.

Maybe the reason an old dog can't be taught new tricks is because when one is an old dog, so are all the tricks.

jtk

Stan Calow
06-01-2019, 8:18 PM
I hope to get one good idea, tip, ad, or review, per month out of each magazine. If a mag consistenly doesn't, then time to give it up.

George Bokros
06-01-2019, 8:34 PM
I let all my subs expire. I subscribed to Wood, Woodsmith, The Rockler machine and the Woodcraft mag. The Rockler Woodcraft mag were so,so. Woodsmith was good until Shop Notes died. Sonc I stopped them all except Wood so I stopped it to.

To much repeat articles.

Bruce Wrenn
06-01-2019, 9:30 PM
Used to get Shop Notes, WoodSmith, Wood, Popular Woodworking, Workbench, and FWW. Slowly dwindled down to Wood, and WoodSmith. I actively submitted tips to several, often having three or four published each year. Even had the "Top Tip" in Wood once. Been sitting on a couple ideas for several years now, but just can't get motivated to send them in. Even skipped the Woodworking Show this year. Last summer probably made last trip to IWF. I've been going since 2000. Today worked on brakes on van, and in bleeding brakes, got brake fluid on concrete apron in front of shop. Went to DC bin to get some sawdust to absorb it, and when I opened bin, the top layer was chips from boring window holes in Toys for Tot's cars. This means DC hasn't been run since last November. Right now I have two outside projects waiting on me, a door for a cabinet that I built in 2008, and a farm house table for son using reclaimed pine from a building built over 100 years ago. Just can't seem to get motivated to get started on either project. Try to watch WoodSmith on TV, but most of the shows here, are reruns that I have seen at least twice before. When either of the two magazines I still get come in, first read the tips section. Read tips in both FWW, and FHB while standing in line at cash register in Lowes. Did buy a single issue of FWW last year to save an article about making housed stringers. I guess I could say "The thrill is gone."

Jim Becker
06-01-2019, 9:40 PM
I bagged the subscriptions years ago...even the "best of the best" started to become redundant.

Frederick Skelly
06-02-2019, 5:42 AM
Maybe the reason an old dog can't be taught new tricks is because when one is an old dog, so are all the tricks.

A wise and quotable insight Jim. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

Lowell, I know just what you mean. It took me a whole 10 mins to go through a new issue of a woodworking magazine last night. Not sure why I bothered to renew.

Robert Engel
06-02-2019, 7:09 AM
For someone wanting to learn, video is the best way to go IMO.

That said, for me it’s not about paper or not, it’s about content. I started getting Woodsmith almost 30 years ago. I can’t remember when the last time I read a relevant article. Much if it seems either esoteric or geared towards tinkerers.

Shopnotes the same way. A bit too anal for me.

Persona

Personally I’ve learned 99% of what I know from Fine Woodworking project videos and YouTube. There are many excellent craftsman out there.

Curt Harms
06-02-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure there's enough new in the traditional woodworking world to supply content for a monthly or bi-monthly magazine. Content does tend to get recycled every few years so for someone new the recycled content is new to them. For somebody who's been active for a number of years there's a feeling of deja vu.

Jim Koepke
06-02-2019, 3:54 PM
My favorite part of most woodworking magazines is the methods of work or tips and ideas. So many magazines of late have these geared toward the power tool user.

Many or the articles in FWW use power tools, but some of the ideas can be translated into hand tool work.

One of my last purchases of Popular Woodworking had a blurb on the cover about cutting perfect dovetails. There wasn't an article inside the magazine with any more than the very basics of cutting dovetails.

A lot of sizzle and no steak. There are better uses for my money.

jtk

Ron Citerone
06-02-2019, 4:01 PM
I like reading FWW some months, but other months there is nothing going on.

Also, utube used to have videos by people who were very experienced, but lately it seems to me it has become every Tom Dick and Harry who just wants people to subscribe to their channel and they are obviously doing things the first time or so.

Greg Parrish
06-02-2019, 4:35 PM
Bruce, can’t say that I’ve had lack of motivation but can sort of empathize as I’ve had lack of time the past year. After starting a new job I’ve just been so busy with work and family obligations that I’ve not done much in the shop the past 12 months. I did some rearranging but haven’t really made anything major. But, I figure eventually that break in time will come and I’ll get back after it. :)

Bruce Wrenn
06-02-2019, 9:49 PM
Bruce, can’t say that I’ve had lack of motivation but can sort of empathize as I’ve had lack of time the past year. After starting a new job I’ve just been so busy with work and family obligations that I’ve not done much in the shop the past 12 months. I did some rearranging but haven’t really made anything major. But, I figure eventually that break in time will come and I’ll get back after it. :)

With Saturday having been June 1, it's been a year since I had a paying job. Done a lot of things around the homestead and for kids though. Actually last year lost money on my schedule C on taxes, for the first time in 30 years. Felt kinda funny not having to send the government a check for a change.

Stephen Tashiro
06-03-2019, 6:03 AM
it took about 20 minutes to look through it and put it down. I may file 13 it.

If I took 20 minutes to look through a magazine, I'd continue my subscription. I discontinued magazines after they began to pile up unread. They were physical evidence of neglected resources and unfulfilled ambitions.

A better way to have magazines is to buy them on DVD. You can get years worth of issues on one DVD. Then you can put the DVD out of sight in drawer without looking at it and not be reminded of your neglect.

Devon Prescott
06-03-2019, 11:13 PM
I have started reading Mortise and Tenon Magazine (The Joshua A. Kline project). Honestly, I get more out of 4 issues of that periodical than I did out of 12 issues of any WW magazine I have ever taken. NOW, I pay more money too. But I am tired of sponsored reviews and my time is worth more than hunting through 60 ads to find 2 nuggets of knowledge.

The latest issue of M&T includes:
An interview with Jögge Sundqvist. Lovely writing talking about inheriting his craft.
Two antique piece examinations. (a chair, a sweet painted chest in PA German style).
Wooden brace and bit technology overview (from like 100 years ago).
A Japanese v Western edge tool contrast and comparison
And more.

137 pages (not including 3 pages set aside in the very back for sponsors only).

Its a lightweight book published quarterly with an focus on hand tool work. It exceedingly well edited and unassuming in they way true craft should be. This may not be for everyone, but if you want content and don't mind paying for I challenge you to try an issue on for size.

Note: I do not take money or considerations from M&T or from anyone else.