PDA

View Full Version : Router plane

Tony Mize
05-30-2019, 8:11 PM
I’ve been looking on eBay lately for a large router plane but for the prices I’ve seen on there I might as well buy a premium brand for just a few more dollars. I’ve always liked buying older planes and restoring them better as long I’m don’t paying the same as high quality new. So my question is veratis or Lie Nielsen I like the look and depth stop better on the LN. The veratis comes with 2 blades straight and spear point two pieces with honing guide which is good positive since I free hand sharpen. I already have the veratis small router for hinge mortises. So the primary use would be dados,half laps,and bridal joints not perfect off my saw. So to me it’s a coin flip so I’d figured what y’all opinion are.

Rob Luter
05-30-2019, 8:28 PM
I sold an antique Stanley and just got a Veritas. I liked the LN but cutter availability was limited. First trials suggest I made the right choice.

Jim Koepke
05-30-2019, 8:41 PM
I sold an antique Stanley and just got a Veritas. I liked the LN but cutter availability was limited. First trials suggest I made the right choice.

Tony, one of the great benefits of being a contributor is the SawMill Creek Classifieds. Rob had a nice one that even tempted me into buying a second router plane.

That is a hard sell to SWMBO.

My suggestion is the Veritas for the same reasons as Rob. My Sargent #62(?) router plane is fine with a set of Veritas blades.

jtk

Tony Mize
05-30-2019, 8:46 PM
I was a day late to the ad here. Seems that’s always the case for me 😉

Frederick Skelly
05-30-2019, 9:06 PM
I have the large and small LV router. Both nice tools. I'm sure the LN is nice too, but as someone pointed out there are fewer blades.

Wojciech Tryc
05-30-2019, 9:44 PM
I have the large and small LV router. Both nice tools. I'm sure the LN is nice too, but as someone pointed out there are fewer blades.
I also have the small and large Veritas models. Excellent quality and with plenty of blade choices its a no brainer

Larry Frank
05-31-2019, 6:55 AM
Buy the blades from LV and build your own.

Don Dorn
05-31-2019, 7:26 AM
Another for the LV large. I've always been very happy with it. Both premium, just which one trips your trigger. Look at a few Utubes of them being used and decide. Can't go wrong with either.

Phil Mueller
05-31-2019, 7:39 AM
I have the LV large and medium. Blades fit both and available in more sizes. Plus they have inlay cutters. I went with the LV because of this versatility. For what you describe as your use, you really don’t need the variety of blades...so as Don said, you can’t go wrong with either.

Jason Kamery
05-31-2019, 8:17 AM
I have the large Veritas Router plane. I love it. I mainly got it for the variety of blades (and if I am going to be completely honest, free shipping) though turns out I don't use that many blades.

Tony Mize
05-31-2019, 10:38 AM
I was leaning toward the veratis. The only negative I seen was the depth stop attach to the threaded post. Has anyone had a problem with the depth stop screw damaging the post threads?

Charles Guest
05-31-2019, 10:49 AM
You shouldn't rely on a router plane's depth stop, gauge, or whatever, no matter how good it might be, you need to mark the board's edge with a very finely gauged line and work to it. Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept. Hand tool woodworking is all about making marks on the wood and removing wood to these marks with whatever tool is most convenient.

When this in mind, you can work with an amazingly abbreviated and relatively inexpensive kit of tools.

Jason Kamery
05-31-2019, 11:23 AM
I haven't had an issue with the depth stop screw. I don't really crank it that hard. If I remember too, the screw is brass and should be softer than the threaded rod.

Jack Frederick
05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
I have the LN large and small RP's and they have been a joy to use. Certainly improved the accuracy of my work.

Frederick Skelly
05-31-2019, 5:45 PM
You shouldn't rely on a router plane's depth stop, gauge, or whatever, no matter how good it might be, you need to mark the board's edge with a very finely gauged line and work to it. Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept. Hand tool woodworking is all about making marks on the wood and removing wood to these marks with whatever tool is most convenient.

When this in mind, you can work with an amazingly abbreviated and relatively inexpensive kit of tools.

I enjoy these "hey it dont have to be so hard or complicated" posts you've been making Chareles. I find them a useful sanity check. Thanks.

Jim Koepke
05-31-2019, 7:04 PM
Buy the blades from LV and build your own.

A great solution Larry.

Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept.

Something learned many years ago, "trust but verify."

jtk

Charles Guest
06-01-2019, 11:02 AM
The only thing a tool has to do is remove wood to a mark. The accuracy is in the mark and the ability to stop when you get to the mark or just barely take it out.

lowell holmes
06-01-2019, 4:22 PM
We have tool stores in Houston. When I have a question like yours, I go to a store and pick them up in order to make up my mind.

William Fretwell
07-06-2019, 9:58 AM
I have thought I might like a router plane but have always found a work around, wide chisel to set hinges, just extend a shoulder plane blade etc. Never imagine making an accurate groove with one. It does not do that much for what they cost!
Until the antique bargain comes along I doubt this will change.

Derek Cohen
07-06-2019, 10:58 AM
The only thing a tool has to do is remove wood to a mark. The accuracy is in the mark and the ability to stop when you get to the mark or just barely take it out.

Charles, while I agree with you that woodworking is essentially working to a line, the matter of a depth stop (to stop at a line) is quite a different matter.

Many of the tools we use have a depth stop built it as it is an aid in accuracy. One example is a plough plane. You cannot actually see the depth the blade is reaching when inside a groove. You can watch the rebate plane getting closer to its line, but a depth stop that bottoms out is desirable insurance, at least. The depth stop of a router plane is similar. Set the final depth and work to it. That make for quicker, and less stressful work. No one says that you rely on it alone.

Using a router plane like a butt mortice plane ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Kist_html_3569a8fd.jpg

To the OP: the depth stop on the Veritas and the LN router planes works identically.

Regards from Perth

Derek