PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used 8" General dovetail jointer. - What to look for?

Allan Speers
05-30-2019, 5:14 PM
Sat I'm going to pick up a used General 480. That's the last of the Canadian-made General line, not General International.
It's a dovetail design, not parallelogram.

I know these were well-made and expensive, but that doesn't mean they are without potential issues, so I'm hoping maybe somebody here owns one, and can tell me any specific issues I might want to look for.
----------------------

- Also, of course, just general things to look for in a heavy 8" dovetail-type jointer.

I know to look for flat tables, and smooth bearings, but that's about it.

thx.

Zac wingert
05-30-2019, 5:32 PM
Missing parts. When I got my jointer noticed the fence had to be realigned too often. It was missing a nut and bolt. I didn't know this until I had it for a couple weeks. Also, the plastic adjustment knob for the outfeed able had a hairline crack that made it useless, I used a wrench to adjust the table when I put new knives. And the plastic dust chute was missing.

I would have still bought it for the same price had I known about these things, but felt dumb that I missed it when inspecting. I had enough time to inspect but was too excited and mostly was checking tables for flatness and just completely did not catch the missing parts.

Allan Speers
05-30-2019, 5:57 PM
Great ideas, thanks !

I'm going to study the owners manual hard, before I go.

Andrew Hughes
05-30-2019, 6:06 PM
Don’t trust anything about the knives. They might be too short too thick. Not set right or at the right height.
Might not be tightened.
If your confident your buying from a competent woodworker that helps.

Good Luck

Mike Kees
05-30-2019, 8:53 PM
Jointers are not complicated machines. If all the parts are there and functional (guard) handles etc. ,beds flat. Stuff like knives,bearings and electrical can all be sourced easily. That is a really good machine,all the original general stuff is top shelf stuff. Most of the last manufactured General stuff came with Baldor motors from the U.S. so that is a bonus too.Hope you get a good deal,good luck.

David Kumm
05-30-2019, 9:59 PM
Bring a good long straightedge or a decent extruded AL level, at least as long as both tables. Check that there are no hollows ( along length and width ) or table droop. If the tables are flat and co planar, you can deal with most other issues. Dave

Allan Speers
05-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Thanks, guys.

This really helps.

Allan Speers
05-31-2019, 1:23 AM
Hope you get a good deal, good luck.

It has a 1.5 Hp Baldor, and supposedly very low (hobbyist) hours. (but you never know.)
The guy only wants $800, with a mobile base, so I don't see how I can go wrong, unless there are serious issues, but I'm going to check it very carefully.

Thanks again, guys.

Mike Kees
05-31-2019, 8:29 PM
Allen the last one of these I saw new was $2800 Canadian. Move quick.

Allan Speers
05-31-2019, 9:01 PM
Allen the last one of these I saw new was $2800 Canadian. Move quick.

Yeah, they must be well made, like all Generals.
-that's why I'm asking about things to check. The price is almost "too good to be true."

Well, supposedly he's a wealthy hobbyist and moving to Europe, so maybe......

Mike Kees
06-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Allen ,did you buy it ?

Allan Speers
06-02-2019, 12:56 AM
Allen ,did you buy it ?

Someone beat me to it!
The guy promised I'd have first shot, then he didn't even call me when he sold it.
Luckily, I called HIM just before leaving. (An almost 2 hr trip and about $50 in tolls)

Well, no worries, I'm not in a rush. Maybe a nice, older DJ-20 will show up in the future.
At least now I'm well prepared.

Mike Kees
06-02-2019, 5:20 PM
Delta DJ-20,Delta 37-315,General or Powermatic not sure of the model numbers of the last two. Any of these are real good machines ,I would buy any of them.Good luck.