PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheels on Baldor grinder

kevin nee
05-28-2019, 6:43 PM
I have a Baldor grinder with a 3/4 shaft. In order to mount the 1 1/2 inch wheels I must take the outside guard off as the inside section of of the guard keeps the shaft, bearings and all aligned. Does anyone have this set up and how did you deal with it.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Dwight Rutherford
05-28-2019, 7:08 PM
I have a Baldor slow speed grinder with CBN wheels. Took the guard off and run it that way. Not a problem. I think the main reason grinders come with guards is to protect the operator in the event the wheel explodes which is not an issue with CBN.

Reed Gray
05-29-2019, 10:57 AM
I have 2 of them. I took the outside part of the guard off. I had to grind a bit of the nose off of the front part so I could slide my robo rests up to the proper distance away from the wheels. I had spacers machined so the nut holding the wheel onto the shaft would have some thread to grab onto. Think it was 5/8 thick. The stamped washers are not very flat and there would be wobble until the wheel got up to speed. If you use the Wolverine base, or plan to use it, the dust port hook up on the bottom of the guard is in the way. I think some have cut that off. I don't use jigs, so I just built a plywood base, about 1 1/2 inches high to get the platforms up to level. I have heard of some one who angled their Baldor to solve that problem. Some one else cut off that dust port.

robo hippy