PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Makita 18V cordless blower

Mike Manning
05-27-2019, 6:07 PM
I've got a Makita 18V cordless blower. I love this thing. I've had it probably at least two years and I use it all the time. I noticed last week that periodically when I hit the trigger button it doesn't go to full power. However, if I just keep the trigger depressed or shake the thing while using it it will kick up to full power. This is occurring with more frequency. Is the trigger going bad or what? This can happen anytime I press the trigger. Anyone have this happen and have an idea what the problem is? Is it fixable? Appreciate any help you folks can offer.

Thanks!
Mike

PS Here's what it looks like ...

Tom M King
05-27-2019, 6:16 PM
Blow around the trigger with compressed air, and if that helps, but doesn't quite do it, spray some electrical contact cleaner into the switch. It would be better to open up the handle for access to the switch if you use the spray cleaner. I'm keeping some 40 year old power tool switches going like this, that otherwise would be unusable because the switches are no longer available.

There are places online where you can buy replacement parts, but shipping is usually at least as much as the part cost.

Dan Friedrichs
05-27-2019, 7:06 PM
I have the bigger (2 battery) version, and I'm not sure it's the same with yours, but it's kind of a non-obvious feature that you can hold the trigger part-way in and get variable speed (vs using the dial). This suggests the trigger is not just an on/off, but variable (probably borrowed from a drill trigger). So it sounds like you have something in the trigger assembly. As Tom said, clean it out or replace it.