PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Station?

George Summers
07-06-2003, 9:26 AM
I have a good belt sander that I use free hand and clamp to my bench for stationary use. I have a drum sanding kit that I use in the drill press. I do not have a disc sander. I do have about $100 to spend and am thinking of a sanding station.

It would be used as a general purpose sander. I am considering a 6"disc/4" belt, a 8"disc/1" belt, and an osscilating drum sander (the Ryobi or the BOSS if Lowe's still has one of the clearance units on the table, even though at clearance it is still a little over budget). I would consider the Ridgid oss. spindle/belt combo unit except it is $250, way over my allowable budget. I like the 8" disc but will a 1" belt give as much GP service as a 4" belt? If I use a very fine grit, I think I can use either the 4" or the 1" to do an initial sharpening on tools because they both have a platen behind the belt. True?

Which have you found most useful in a general purpose environment?

George

Jim Becker
07-06-2003, 10:52 AM
George, honestly, the inexpensive "sanding centers" are pretty skimpy machines, especially when it comes to work support, etc. I doubt you will get better results than you already can with what you have. It may be better for you to save up and buy one of the more substantial combo sanders that have the weight and cast iron tables to do solid work. IMHO, of course. Unless you only do small craft work, the little sanders are going to be a disappointment to you!