PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon gate

William Fretwell
05-26-2019, 2:39 AM
Visiting my sister in England, she needed a gate. Had to work in metric for a change. Very few old tools, one sharp chisel, two hand saws and a tape measure. A rusty Black and Decker workmate was my friend.
Chose half lap joints, painted with deck sealant and screws ( those Philips things of course).
Quite heavy, wood not dry at the merchants. Hinges carefully morticed into the supporting post for maximum strength.

410438 410439

As as you can see had some fun with the supporting shape!

Scott Winners
05-26-2019, 2:45 AM
Nice! at least ten characters

Frederick Skelly
05-26-2019, 6:52 AM
Nice job Bill!
Enjoy England!

Jim Koepke
05-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Nice gate William, innovative string latch is likely less noisy.

Someone once told me they get almost as much rain in England as we get here in Washington.

jtk

michael langman
05-26-2019, 12:08 PM
I like the way the gate came out William.
This project kind of supports your "Quote".

Mel Fulks
05-26-2019, 4:38 PM
I like it, and I think you will be invited back! Hard to make that spruce hold up well out it the weather. Took me a while
for that to sink in...maybe I can save you some time. Besides just paint,I would make one of those gate roofs. Most I've
seen have been in medieval drawings, you can easily Google one up. Looks like the roof would fit right in with the neighbor
hood. Cheerio!

James Pallas
05-26-2019, 7:22 PM
Well done William. It's not the tools but the operator that gets the job done.
Jim

William Fretwell
05-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Actually that’s England’s idea of pressure treated lumber! ;easier to spot at the ends. Could not buy end cut preservative.
Gate roof a great idea but not going to blend into the hood, she also lives atop a very windy hill.
String is temporary, had a galvanized bolt but the wood attached to the garage had rotted. Held on with a bolt into the garage but also rusted and unobtainable. Will find here and send, my son will be passing shortly and attach the garage side and bolt, his engineering degree will get used! Left new wood for that part.
Need a sense of humour over there, 12 pounds sterling a meter for rather ordinary decking, that’s Cdn $21.60 a meter!

Mel Fulks
05-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Well, I've got my heart set on that roof and will be seeking a meeting with the royal "Boss of all Bosses"