PDA

View Full Version : Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

Bill Lyman
05-25-2019, 10:46 PM
​I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
Bill

Jim Becker
05-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Well, I'm a Festool system user and fan, myself. Mirka is also a fine brand. I'm not familiar with the other one you mention. And yes, you can use a mesh abrasive system with the Festool sander, both the native Festool version now available or Abranet with an interface pad.

Jim Dwight
05-26-2019, 5:39 PM
My favorite sander is a Bosch 1250DEVS. It's turbo mode significantly reduces my sanding time. It is a 6 inch sander in the shape of a grinder or polisher. I use it one handed but it is almost too big for that.

Kevin Jenness
05-26-2019, 5:48 PM
I use the Festool sander you mentioned and am happy with it. The on/off switch is a little awkward, but that's the only drawback in my view. I have used a Mirka and like it a bit better but the cost is significantly higher. It's the closest analogue to Dynabrade air sanders I have seen. I am not familiar with the Surfprep line.

If I were buying again I would seriously consider getting a 6" model.

Bill Lyman
05-28-2019, 9:40 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. Both the Mirka and the Surfprep appear to be operable by one hand, but Festoool requires two hands. Investigation continues.

Wojciech Tryc
05-28-2019, 11:34 AM
I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
Bill
You can operate Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5 with one hand, it's very light and comfortable. I use Abranet mesh for anything grid80 and up.

Doug Dawson
05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
You can operate Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5 with one hand, it's very light and comfortable. I use Abranet mesh for anything grid80 and up.

FWW recently published a review of this sander with the Abranet and pronounced its dust collection only "Fair". Because I have this sander and use it with the Festool sandpaper and pronounce its dust collection "Very Good Indeed", I can conclude either that it doesn't work well with Abranet, or that FWW is completely full of s[]it. I present, you decide.

Wojciech Tryc
05-28-2019, 1:22 PM
FWW recently published a review of this sander with the Abranet and pronounced its dust collection only "Fair". Because I have this sander and use it with the Festool sandpaper and pronounce its dust collection "Very Good Indeed", I can conclude either that it doesn't work well with Abranet, or that FWW is completely full of s[]it. I present, you decide.
Dust collection is more effective with Abranet, basically, almost no dust left....

Doug Dawson
05-28-2019, 1:32 PM
Dust collection is more effective with Abranet, basically, almost no dust left....

So you're saying that the FWW piece was basically a hit job on Festool.

Wojciech Tryc
05-28-2019, 1:58 PM
So you're saying that the FWW piece was basically a hit job on Festool.
I am not saying that ;), I am just describing how Festool sander works...

Jim Becker
05-28-2019, 2:46 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. Both the Mirka and the Surfprep appear to be operable by one hand, but Festoool requires two hands. Investigation continues.
The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.

Doug Dawson
05-28-2019, 5:15 PM
I am not saying that ;), I am just describing how Festool sander works...

And yet FWW described dust collection with the Abranet as only "Fair", just one step above "Poor".

Mark Hockenberg
05-28-2019, 5:49 PM
William - I use the Festool 125 and love it. This was an upgrade from a conventional Porter Cable 5" RO sander. The Festool was life changing. I almost don't mind sanding now. I use all Festool Granat paper and it seems to work well.

I am intrigued by the SurfacePrep. It looks great and I'd love to hear from anyone using it....

Pete Danielson
05-28-2019, 11:29 PM
SurfPrep sanders and abrasives are phenomenal.

It's a small company that focuses more on pro shops and had limited distribution when I got mine. Now you can order directly from their site which simplifies ordering and makes them more accessible.

Best advice I can give is see if you can try one. Contact the company, they may have someone in your region that can demo both the sanders and the abrasives.

I also have Festool sanders which are fine, but given the choice I prefer the SurfPrep every time. The variety of foam backed abrasives make the system adaptable from flats, profiles to sealer sanding.

Mirka is probably similar to the SurfPrep, however I haven't run one so I can't comment.

Bill Lyman
05-29-2019, 9:55 AM
Thank you guys. I am very happy I posted my inquiry here. Pete Danielson, how long have you used your Surfprep? Any problems?

Jamie Buxton
05-29-2019, 10:44 AM
To solve the dust collection problem thoroughly, hook a vacuum to the sander. Me, I never run a sander without the vacuum.

Alan Lightstone
05-29-2019, 12:43 PM
The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.
Exactly what I do with those two. It’s rare I use the Rotex.

Pete Danielson
05-29-2019, 1:59 PM
I've had it for a year and a half. My sander uses an external power source which I think they've switched away from as they only offer the Ray model now. I have a small operation, so the sander isn't running 8hr shifts although it's designed to. The more important aspect is how a sander feels and how effective the abrasive is for a given task. You really have to try them in your specific applications to gauge that for yourself.

Keep in mind, any online feedback is subject to so many variables it has limited value, mine included.

Mike King
05-29-2019, 2:25 PM
I've used an ETS/125 for 6+ years. It works so well with the CT26 vacuum that I became a Festool convert. I have no idea how it works relative to the Mirka, but I know that I"m very happy with it.

One thing you should consider is what your sander collection will ultimately look like. I found that there were additional sanders that made my work more productive, such as the Rotex. But because sandpaper is a pretty significant investment, I then was more or less locked into the 125mm format. So, think about whether you want to commit to 125 or 150mm. It's a significant decision.

Why both ETS and Rotex? For one thing, the Rotex is fantastic for polishing lacquer. I use the ETS to go to 800 grit, then convert to the Rotex to polish with 1200 and 1500 grit polish.

I now have a other Festool sanders as well: the RS-2, the RTS, and a Rotex 90 (for small polishing areas). There's some advantages to the system and it's integration with the vacuum.

Mike

Doug Dawson
05-29-2019, 2:43 PM

Yes. Sometimes you just wanna say, Bring out the gimp! :^)

scott vroom
05-29-2019, 4:01 PM
​I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Bill

For final finishing of wood/finish I use a Festool RTS 400 REQ. I just bought my 2nd, first one lasted 15 years. I build a lot of cabinets and the rectangular footprint is ideal for inside corners/edges.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/A1CJVwKN8xL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Mark Daily
05-29-2019, 4:14 PM
William - I use the Festool 125 and love it. This was an upgrade from a conventional Porter Cable 5" RO sander. The Festool was life changing. I almost don't mind sanding now. I use all Festool Granat paper and it seems to work well.

I am intrigued by the SurfacePrep. It looks great and I'd love to hear from anyone using it....
Mark- can you explain how the Festool is better? Ergonomics, produces better sanding pattern, etc.?
Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know!😬 Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?

Jim Becker
05-29-2019, 9:34 PM
Mark- can you explain how the Festool is better? Ergonomics, produces better sanding pattern, etc.?
Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know! Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?

My short list of qualities I like about the Festool:

* Almost vibration free...my hands don't get numb anymore and I can sand for hours instead of just minutes
* Significantly great dust extraction because of the tool design including the center hole which virtually eliminates "that spot" where "stuff" collects on many sanders
* Long, long life...mine has been going strong since the mid 2000s with the only maintenance been changing the interface pad a few times which is normal for hook and loop sanders. It still looks like and works like new
* Excellent warranty and service

Vince Shriver
05-30-2019, 12:08 AM

* Almost vibration free...my hands don't get numb anymore and I can sand for hours instead of just minutes
* Significantly great dust extraction because of the tool design including the center hole which virtually eliminates "that spot" where "stuff" collects on many sanders
* Long, long life...mine has been going strong since the mid 2000s with the only maintenance been changing the interface pad a few times which is normal for hook and loop sanders. It still looks like and works like new

Jim nailed it exactly. There might be sanders as good, but I seriously doubt there are any better. A pleasure to use.

Mark Daily
05-30-2019, 12:10 AM

Thanks Jim- I know what you mean about the vibration.

scott vroom
05-30-2019, 2:17 AM
I've never understood the preference for a round format sander for anything other than open flat surfaces. How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

Doug Dawson
05-30-2019, 4:55 AM
I've never understood the preference for a round format sander for anything other than open flat surfaces. How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

It's helpful to have a DTS400 as well (triangle pattern.) The RO90 also has this option. Cord and vacuum hose don't have to be changed, just swap in the other machine and hook it up. It's a very nice system.

FWIW, most of my sanding is pre-assembly.

Kevin Jenness
05-30-2019, 6:29 AM
How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

Sand prior to assembly.

Mark Hockenberg
05-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know! Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?

Hey Mark,

Jim addressed this very well. For me, it's his first and second points:
1) Vibration free, and
2) Dust extraction

My old PC did the job, but made me numb too. Maybe the newer sub-$100 RO sanders are much better. And having real dust extraction is amazing. I used to get engulfed in dust in my shop even with air filtration, fans, etc. With the Festool, I don't need to wear a mask.

The other plus for me is that I get better surface prep using the Festool and their abrasives than I got with the old sander. I really don't know if it's a function of the different abrasives, or the RO pattern, or maybe having less dust constantly grinding around, but it seems to work.

The sander was one of the last Festool products I bought. I found it easier to understand the functional benefits of the track saw/plunge router, whatever. I said, it's just a sander, how is it worth four times the cost of a "normal", good, RO sander like your Dewalt. My local dealer talked me into trying it and that did it for me.

With the Festool return policy, it's easy to demo it for 30 days risk free.

Frank Pratt
05-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Because, as far as I know, nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander. Inside corners can be pre-sanded or easily done by hand with a sanding block.

For those unable or unwilling to jump into the Festool price range, I can highly recommend the Bosch ROS65VC. Powerful, good on board dust collection (as long as the filter is kept clean), and oh so smooth. There really is virtually no vibration.

scott vroom
05-30-2019, 5:39 PM
nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander.

That may be true, but If you looked at the finish I get on my cabinets using the RTS 400 you would not discern any visible swirls or marks.

Mark Daily
05-30-2019, 6:45 PM
Hey Mark,

Jim addressed this very well. For me, it's his first and second points:
1) Vibration free, and
2) Dust extraction

My old PC did the job, but made me numb too. Maybe the newer sub-$100 RO sanders are much better. And having real dust extraction is amazing. I used to get engulfed in dust in my shop even with air filtration, fans, etc. With the Festool, I don't need to wear a mask.

The other plus for me is that I get better surface prep using the Festool and their abrasives than I got with the old sander. I really don't know if it's a function of the different abrasives, or the RO pattern, or maybe having less dust constantly grinding around, but it seems to work.

The sander was one of the last Festool products I bought. I found it easier to understand the functional benefits of the track saw/plunge router, whatever. I said, it's just a sander, how is it worth four times the cost of a "normal", good, RO sander like your Dewalt. My local dealer talked me into trying it and that did it for me.

With the Festool return policy, it's easy to demo it for 30 days risk free.
I hook my Dewalt up to my Shop Vac vacuum using its 1-1/2” hose. The vac has a HEPA filter and HEPA bag and the dust collection is pretty good- rarely any visible dust but I’m going to check it all out when I can with my Dylos meter.

Vibration is a problem mainly because the sander doesn’t always want to go where I want it to. I think I would need to do a lot more woodworking to justify the cost of the Festool.

Mike Kreinhop
05-30-2019, 7:21 PM

My experience with Abranet is limited, but I was not happy with it when compared to the Festool product. The salesman tried to discourage me from stocking up on Abranet, but what does he know? I compromised and bought one pack of 400 grit instead of stocking up on all of the grits available.

From my one use, I noticed the dust cleared well around the vacuum holes in my ETS EC 150/3, but appeared to accumulate in the little nooks and crannies between the holes. I also noticed a little dust remaining on the sanded surface. When I removed the Abranet and took it outside to shake it, lots of fine dust became airborne. When I repeated this with the Festool 400 grit paper, I didn't see any residue on the paper and there certainly wasn't any on the piece I was sanding.

It's possible that I didn't have the suction turned up enough on my vacuum, but I kept the same settings for both runs.

Wojciech Tryc
05-30-2019, 9:52 PM
Isn’t Mirka making Granat net for Festool? I actually never used Granat Net but the abranet Technology is excellent, especially in respect to dust extraction.

Dylan Wyatt
05-31-2019, 6:44 AM
Because, as far as I know, nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander. Inside corners can be pre-sanded or easily done by hand with a sanding block.

For those unable or unwilling to jump into the Festool price range, I can highly recommend the Bosch ROS65VC. Powerful, good on board dust collection (as long as the filter is kept clean), and oh so smooth. There really is virtually no vibration.

I will second the suggestion on this Bosch, I talked dad into trying one when his old Porter Cable gave up the ghost. Neither of us are going to take the jump to the Festool price range in the near future, this Bosch definitely does not disappoint. Lots of power for low grit work on large surfaces, virtually no swirl marks with high grit paper compared to the PC. It is a lot larger than expected but it is so smooth that it is easy to control with one hand.

Joe Hendershott
05-31-2019, 7:23 AM
I'm another guy that uses Festool and would never go back to something else. I had the aforementioned Bosch and the difference is profound. I can sand as long as I want with the Festool but with the Bosch and the buzzing and vibration I would only last a short time using it. There really is THAT big a difference. As others have mentioned you can use the Festool easily with one hand.

lowell holmes
05-31-2019, 8:55 AM
I don't have that much need, but when I need a new sander, I go to the BORG and come home with one with sandpaper for it.
I have three sanders. None are new.

Frank Pratt
05-31-2019, 9:22 AM
I'm another guy that uses Festool and would never go back to something else. I had the aforementioned Bosch and the difference is profound. I can sand as long as I want with the Festool but with the Bosch and the buzzing and vibration I would only last a short time using it. There really is THAT big a difference. As others have mentioned you can use the Festool easily with one hand.

Which Bosch was it that you had? If it was the ROS65VC, then it should have gone in for warranty because that particular sander is extremely smooth.

Jack Frederick
05-31-2019, 12:10 PM
In order to eliminate having to deal with the dust in the shop I normally move outside to a covered deck area. A couple months ago I had a substantial amount of sanding to do, but it was raining sideways and 35*. I chose to bite the bullet and got set-up inside. I took my Dewalt RO and fired it up and it just spewed a huge amount of dust on start-up. I said the hell with it and went to the Tool Barn. I bought the $200 version of the Festool. I couldn't go the $510 for the better sanders, but I intend to get one in the future. In conjunction with my Festool Dust Extractor sanding is not nearly the odious task it had been. I will on occasion still go to the Dewalt or Bosch RO's, but it is always outside. That one sander has let me enjoy woodworking even more. Money well spent!

Bill Lyman
06-24-2019, 7:44 AM
Iended up buying the Surfprep SPES5 3/16 orbit ROS. Out of the box it looksand feels great. When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, Iwill report the results.

Frederick Skelly
06-24-2019, 7:54 AM
When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, Iwill report the results.

That will help. Look forward to hearing more!

Bill Lyman
06-24-2019, 11:45 AM
I ended up buying the Surprep SPES5 3/16 orbit ROS. Out of the box it looks andfeels great. When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, I will report the results.

Carl Beckett
06-26-2019, 7:48 AM
I have had the Festool ETS EC 150/5 EQ (thats a lot of letters!)

Have owned it for about 6 months now, and very much like it.

I see no benefit to a smaller pad, so went with the 6".

I see no benefit to the 3mm orbit pattern. It is variable speed, and I go down in grit to get smoother.

I do use the Festool mesh type discs (it has a extra pad that goes on first to use these mesh discs).

I use it one handed.

I have it hooked up to my central dust collector when in use, which works quite well with both regular paper and mesh discs.

I am not a Festool 'nut'. But would buy again.

My experience only, yours (and others) experiences may differ...

Derek Cohen
06-26-2019, 8:50 AM
Sanding is not my primary method of smoothing, but I have used the forerunner of the Festool 150/3 for 20 years. Still have it. It works pretty well ... but it is a large and heavy bugger ...

https://i.postimg.cc/GmTGBcSQ/ET2E.jpg

My needs run to sanding on angles, and I wanted a light, one-handed sander with superb dust control. Not much to ask :)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/HarlequinRoundingTheDovetails_html_589dd7f5.jpg

Some months ago I purchased a slightly used Mirka Ceros, which gets used with Abranet into a Festool CT26E.

https://i.postimg.cc/G2Ky09Hc/M4.jpg

This is a fantastic sander! It has been replaced by the Deros, which is probably slightly better.

The Mirka sanders deserve serious consideration.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Julian Mcgrath
12-14-2020, 3:44 PM
They are selling for awesome prices on Amazon now, I am not sure which one to get.

Julian Mcgrath
12-20-2020, 5:33 PM
I found a great review about sanders, I think I will get a Bosch orbital sander. It was one of the best ones there, and it was highly rated on the Bobs website (https://www.bestorbitalsander.com/sanding-a-deck-with-a-floor-sander/). It has everything that a sander should have, and I think that is more than enough for me. I need reliable tools, and Bosch is a good brand that makes reliable tools. I am sure that if I get it, it will last me for as long as I need it. It has an advanced dust collection system, and many other advanced features. It is perfect for someone who does a lot of work with a sander.

Dave Sabo
12-20-2020, 10:55 PM
Isn’t Mirka making Granat net for Festool?

No , I don't believe that is accurate.

Festool's parent , TTS, bought a Czech ( I believe) abrasives co. many many years ago to bring their offerings in house. Everyone who's anyone in the abrasives biz has mesh abrasives now. Abranet has not cornered the market.