PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Oscillating Belt Sander

Rob Sack
05-25-2019, 9:29 PM
I need a lightweight horizontal belt sander for job site use only. Home Depot sells the Rigid and Rockler sells the Triton. I realize that these are inexpensive, lightweight tools. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Paul F Franklin
05-25-2019, 10:23 PM
I have the rigid and have found it to work very well and to be an excellent value. Dust collection is only so-so, and I doubt it would hold up to heavy production use, but I think hard to beat for the money for light to moderate use.

Matt Day
05-25-2019, 10:29 PM
You’ll find lots of great reviews of the Ridgid if you search for it.

Cary Falk
05-25-2019, 10:55 PM
I hated my Ridgid and sold it. The belt wouldn't track, The coating on the table wore off and left marks on the wood. The spindle was too short and the retaining nut would always lock itself on with the force of 1000 freight trains. I seem to be the only person on the planet that hates it.

Jack Frederick 135
05-25-2019, 11:44 PM
The Ridgid is awesome. You won’t go wrong there. Agree that it’s not a production tool, but, it’s solid nonetheless.

Larry Anderson
05-25-2019, 11:53 PM
I hated my Ridgid and sold it. The belt wouldn't track, Th ecoating on the table wore off and left makrs on the owwd. The spindle was too short and the retaining nut would always clamp lock itself on with the force of 1000 freight trains. I seem to be the only person on the planed that hates it.

I have one, and like most love it for hobbyist use. Not sure it would hold up in a commercial setting.

Cary Falk
05-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Had you been drinking when you wrote this?...owwd, planed.

I have one, and like most love it for hobbyist use. Not sure it would hold up in a commercial setting.

Typing in the dark on a laptop. Post edited

Matthew Hills
05-26-2019, 12:33 AM
I like the tool for hobby use -- spindle and edge sanding are a very useful combination (compared to a vertical belt and disc, or separate tools).

I'd like it more if the belt and spindle had a bit more capacity and I had a more consistent square edge between table and belt sander.

For dust, I would recommend using outside, or with a fan pushing the air away...
(might also work well with a big dust funnel, like they use on lathes, picking up near the table)

Matt

Ralph Okonieski
05-26-2019, 7:06 PM
I have the Rigid sander. As a hobby user, it serves my purpose very well. As Paul mentioned, dust collection is Ok but not great. For the price Paid, I would buy it again with no qualms.

Frank Pratt
05-26-2019, 7:33 PM
First impression of the Ridgid was not great, but once I started using it, I loved it. The belts are super easy to change & adjusting tracking on a new belt only takes seconds & then it just stays on track. The table is square to the belt. The paint is wearing off the table, but it's never left marks on the wood. I've put the thing through hard use for hours at a time & it's never had a problem. I built a compact dust hood that goes behind & around the belt that has made dust collection very good.This is one tool that they seem to have gotten the right balance of cost, features, and durability.

It is definitely a hobby oriented machine though.

John K Jordan
05-26-2019, 7:54 PM
Typing in the dark on a laptop. Post edited

I used my last laptop so much the lettering wore off on about half the keys making it more interesting, even in good room lighting. Fortunately I don't look at the keys when I type so the only problem was being careful to get my hands in the right places before typing. When I replaced my last laptop I got one with lighted keys - not only is it easier for keys out of the standard position, the light-transmitting "labels" go all the way through the plastic keys.

I need a lightweight horizontal belt sander for job site use only. Home Depot sells the Rigid and Rockler sells the Triton. I realize that these are inexpensive, lightweight tools. Anyone have any experience with either one?

I've had the Ridgid for maybe 15 years and like it a lot, both with the spindles and the oscillating belt. I don't use it a lot but so far it as always worked. I use the belt more than the spindles and it has always tracked perfectly.

Of course, I have no idea if what they sell now is made to the same quality.

The dust collection is in fact rather wimpy. I solved that by using the sander on a covered shop porch. Might not matter much for job site use.

JKJ

Ted Baxter
05-26-2019, 7:55 PM
three plus years with mine and it has never giving me any trouble very happy with it paint wearing off happens to anything that is used I will but it again if it ever dies.

Michael Costa
05-28-2019, 1:41 AM
Any time I ever see a picture of someone's shop (including my own) I always seem to spot the orange Ridgid oscillating sander in the background.

Frank Pratt
05-28-2019, 9:31 AM
Any time I ever see a picture of someone's shop (including my own) I always seem to spot the orange Ridgid oscillating sander in the background.

They do seem to be pretty ubiquitous. If mine died, I'd go buy another one tomorrow.

Bill White
05-28-2019, 5:28 PM
Ridgid here, and I'm well pleased.

MIchael Koesters
02-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know the size of the threads on the spindle? I have always had a hard time removing the belt attachment and ended up damaging the threads at the top of the spindle in the process. I know that it is left threaded, but don't know the size. I am thinking that I can fix the problem with the properly sized die. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Doug Garson
02-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Don't know the size of the thread but I solved the problem of getting the nut off and on easily by making a small "wrench" out of scrap plywood. Previously I often put a pair of pliers on it and messed up the rubber coating.

John K Jordan
02-16-2020, 2:19 PM
Does anyone know the size of the threads on the spindle? I have always had a hard time removing the belt attachment and ended up damaging the threads at the top of the spindle in the process. I know that it is left threaded, but don't know the size. I am thinking that I can fix the problem with the properly sized die. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Left hand tap/die might be hard to find but have you ever used a thread restorer kit? Mine came with various taps and dies made for restoring instead of cutting threads, but the it also came with 16 thread files to fit almost any pitch, left or right thread. This is the one I've used for years - hate to be without it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6UNHE

JKJ

Peter Kelly
02-16-2020, 2:33 PM
The WEN / Grizzly / Triton one is pretty lightweight but decent for what it is. Think the Triton version can be had for around $200 from Amazon.

MIchael Koesters
02-16-2020, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. Grainger carries left threaded die....I will call Ridgid and see if they can tell me the correct size. If I cannot get that, the thread files look like a good option....certainly cheaper than buying a new sander.

Thanks again.

Mike

John K Jordan
02-16-2020, 7:08 PM
Thanks for the responses. Grainger carries left threaded die....I will call Ridgid and see if they can tell me the correct size. If I cannot get that, the thread files look like a good option....certainly cheaper than buying a new sander.

Thanks again.

Mike

I can check the thread on my Ridgid oscillating sander but not until at least tomorrow. If calling Ridgid, you might ask how much it would be to replace the threaded shaft.

JKJ

Paul F Franklin
02-16-2020, 8:04 PM
I checked mine with my thread gauges and it measured M8-1.0 left hand. I'm always a little more comfortable if I can compare it to a known fastener; all I had on hand was an M8-1.25. The diameter was right and the thread on the rigid was finer as one would expect, so I think M8-1.0 is correct.

Andrew More
02-16-2020, 9:04 PM
Also have the Rigid. Looking at the shot of the Triton, it looks smaller? Anyway, every YouTuber I follow has the Rigid, I have never seen anything else.

Personally my experience with it has been excellent, but the dust collection is nonexistent. I ended up attaching a 6" flex hose to the left hand side with a clamp.

MIchael Koesters
02-17-2020, 6:46 AM
Thanks again for all of your suggestions. As far as dust collection goes, I use a small dust port, attached to the table top by the small thumbscrew that holds the plate stop in place, available at Woodcraft at https://www.woodcraft.com/products/small-dust-hood-with-4-inch-port

Mike

Paul Saffold
02-17-2020, 8:37 AM
Dust mod, not perfect but a huge improvement. Larger home made knob is much easier to get off.

MIchael Koesters
02-17-2020, 8:40 AM
The threads on the spindle on my unit are 5/16" 18 threads per inch. The model number is EB4424 0 and is marked Built in U.S.A which explains the standard size. Thanks again.

Mike

Andrew More
02-17-2020, 9:50 AM
My BFI* approach to dust collection on Rigid.

*BFI - Brutal Force and Ignorance

John K Jordan
02-17-2020, 12:25 PM
*BFI - Brutal Force and Ignorance

Looks like Beautiful, Fine, and Intelligent to me. My solution to the sanding dust is to carry the sander outside to a table on the covered porch on my shop.

JKJ

Doug Garson
02-17-2020, 1:33 PM
Here's my dust collection solution and my plywood wrench. The black hose section is if I recall a 4" downspout extension. I can expand or contract the length and bend it side to side or up and down and it stays in place. The screen at the inlet is to prevent small pieces from being sucked in.

Andrew More
02-17-2020, 2:15 PM
Looks like Beautiful, Fine, and Intelligent to me. My solution to the sanding dust is to carry the sander outside to a table on the covered porch on my shop.

JKJ

You win! That's even more efficient than my solution.

Also BFI is a bit of an in joke for the industry I work in for hacks that aren't necessarily beautiful or elegant, but they get the job done. These days you can't really say Jerry-Rig, Redneck Engineering, or a dozen other things implying certain groups are less capable than others.

MIchael Koesters
02-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Very nice diy wrench!! I use a funnel on a 4" hose, clamped to the table using the thumbscrew that holds the metal plate in place.

I ended up buying the Lang thread file set from Amazon (initially bought the one made by General Tool, but found that it was made in China when I received it....not a really big made in USA guy, BUT, when the product description is contrary to the actual product, that is just annoying....Amazon refunded the purchase price without requiring me to return the file....probably cost more to ship and restock than it is worth). In any event, the Lang tools arrived the next day and after a bit of work, the sander is about as good as new.

Thanks again.

Mike

John K Jordan
02-22-2020, 2:46 PM
I ended up buying the Lang thread file set from Amazon...the Lang tools arrived the next day and after a bit of work, the sander is about as good as new.

I don't think you'll be sorry with that set. I've used my dozens of times.

JKJ

Bill Carey
02-23-2020, 11:31 AM
I had the Rigid, and it lasted 4 years before it burned out. I replaced it with a Wen, which was a lot cheaper, and it works fine. No mater the make, it is a great tool to add to the shop.

James Spillman
02-23-2020, 12:58 PM
Original poster asked if anyone had experience with Ridgid or Triton. All replies referred to Ridgid. I'll ask again. Has anyone had any experience with the Triton oscillating belt & spindle sander?

Andy D Jones
02-23-2020, 2:11 PM
I don't have either one, but am looking at them for myself.

One apparent difference is that the Ridgid has a miter gauge slot, whereas the Triton does not. It also appears as if the Ridgid's miter gauge slot is smaller than standard size for table saws, etc. The documentation does not specify the miter slot dimensions. Perhaps someone who has the Ridgid can provide them?

If you were sanding the end of a workpiece, you might want something to ensure you were sanding it square (or at a specified angle) to the workpiece edge.

Andy - Arlington TX

Doug Garson
02-23-2020, 2:25 PM
My Ridgid has a 3/4" miter slot (although it is a bit oversized) and while I agree it could be used as Andy describes I don't recall using it that way very often, all depends on what you are making I guess, definitely make it safer for small pieces either with a miter gage or shop made sled.

John K Jordan
02-23-2020, 9:04 PM
My Ridgid has a 3/4" miter slot (although it is a bit oversized) and while I agree it could be used as Andy describes I don't recall using it that way very often, all depends on what you are making I guess, definitely make it safer for small pieces either with a miter gage or shop made sled.

I've never used the miter gage on my Ridgid oscillating sander - I have one on a good disk/belt sander for precision and small parts. I mostly use the Ridgid for hand-held shaping.