PDA

View Full Version : Respirators

Bob Johnson2
12-11-2005, 8:07 AM
I know a few of you own and maybe use respirators, I'd appreciate any comments on the ones you have. Looking to find out if your happy with it, and it's pros and cons, and do you really use it? In particular I'm looking at the Triton, Trend Airshield, and the 3m Airstream. If you have a different brand please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Dick Parr
12-11-2005, 8:13 AM
I have the Trend and it is the best tool I have ever got myself. Wish I would have gotten it years ago. Great product and great customer service. I use it for everything, not just on the lathe.

Charles McKinley
12-11-2005, 3:16 PM
I have the 3M. I like it a lot. I bought it over the Trend for the OSHA ratings. I have used it at work and the refinery just needed to see the maker and no more questiones asked. It is more money but you only have one set of lungs.

Jim Becker
12-11-2005, 4:37 PM
You don't say what the respirator's purpose will be...if it's just nusance dust, than there are plenty of choices. (I own the Trend and actually use it a lot when I'm turning because it's comfortable and keeps my safety glasses from fogging) If you are talking for finishing...it's a whole other ballgame.

Bob Johnson2
12-11-2005, 4:54 PM
Jim
It'll be for dust, spending a lot of time in the shop has got my athsma all worked up so I've got to do something. It'd be great if the respirators could handle fumes but I know better. I've got a decent mask for fumes already but I wouldn'twant to wear it all day (half mask), wish I could. So I need a GOOD mask that I'll wear, not buy and put it off to the side. All 3 look like they'll fit the bill with the 3m looking the most comfortable and unobtrusive, unfortunatly at triple the cost.

Bob

Mike Henderson
12-11-2005, 5:24 PM
For those of us just getting into turning and who don't know anything about these respirators, please post a link to a description of the respirators or a good review of them.

Thanks,
Mike

Bob Johnson2
12-11-2005, 6:20 PM
There are quite a few reviews on the Trend and the Tritonb, most are on other forums which we can't post links to so you'll have to do some searches on your own. Here's a couple that were not on forums. Again there are quite a few out there. I could not find any that wer not on forums for the 3m model.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/tritonrespirator.htm

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_522.shtml

Frank Hagan
12-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Has anyone tried the Aircap2 respirator? I see that Woodcraft has it for $169.99, and its about half the weight of the Triton.

https://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web4873.jpg

At 10.6 ounces it would be pretty light. The only problem I can see is that it might be hard to wear glasses with it.

Jim Knauss
12-12-2005, 4:14 AM
Bob,
I have the Aircap 2 that Frank was talking about and have used it for about two years. It works very well if you put it on. That's the key! If you are like me you will get lazy and not wear it as much as you should. I mainly wear it when I'm milling lumber or sanding long term. It works good with the lathe also although they say it doesn't offer the impact protection of the TREND. It is very comfy and batteries last a long time. I stock up on the Dollar store variety. Also being frugal, ( as in cheap) I put a Kleenex over the filter with a rubber band and haven't had to change the filters in two years! All in all I believe there are better systems out there but the Aircap works for me.

Jim Knauss

Bob Johnson2
12-12-2005, 8:09 AM
Bob,
It works very well if you put it on. That's the key! If you are like me you will get lazy and not wear it as much as you should. I mainly wear it when I'm milling lumber or sanding long term.
Jim Knauss

Frank and Jim, Thanks for the tip on the Aircap, I'll stop by Woodcraft and take a look at it if it's in stock. As Jim said you have to use it, which for me means it has to be very easy to use..

Charles McKinley
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Bob,

The email I sent you was bounced back so I'll answer it here for others as well

*Does the 3M face shield lift up?
It lifts and locks in place.

It is very easy to put on and use. I would prefer a ratcheting head band (it is what I'm used to in my welding hard hats) but once you get the head band set it works fine. After you go to a PAPR system I think you will have a hard time going back to another type of respirator. It is comfortable, the air moving over your face keeps your glasses from fogging up and keeps them clean. I haven’t used it since it has gotten cold here. I have been working too much and this job didn’t require a respirator. I bring the cord from the battery up under my shirt of jacket to keep it from getting caught on things.

*Also, how long do you get out of a charge? They say 8 hours. I have never ran it that long at once. I have ran it for 2-3 days on a charge. I have really bad allergies( I have an inhaler if it gets really bad.) so I also wear it to mow and weedeat in addition to the shop so I have had it on for about 3 hours at a time with no problem.

*Can I ask where you got it?
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/airstream.htm

I have also heard good things about:
http://www.airwareamerica.com/

I also bought a package of visor overlays.

I bought the AS-400 for a couple of reasons over the Triton and the Trend. It is more $$$ at $729 (this is a complete set up with the respirator battery and charger) compared to ~$300.

OSHA approved filter: The triton has European and Australian approval but I was not comfortable converting their units to English. I also have taken it to work and the plant safety guys are much happier to see a name they know. (If you have ever been in a chemical plant or a refinery you know that the happier you keep the safety guy the happier you will be.)

Hard hat: The Trend cannot be attached to a hard hat and I could not determine if the Triton could take an impact or if it was there just to hold the shield. A hard hat has saved me more than once especially when I was young and dumb.

It is 3M.

*Thanks

You are welcome. I hope this helps with your decision. If you have any other questions please ask. PM me if you want to talk and I will send you my phone number or send me yours in the PM.

Chuck McKinley

Timo Christ
12-12-2005, 2:22 PM
Hello,

these face shield air helmets seem like the best solution for dust protection. The price tag is kinda hard to swallow anyway, especially 700$ for the 3M unit. As a hobbyist, i don't need certifications. Of course i still want clean air...
So the idea is to take a hardhat plus face shield (preferably fixed shield) and add one or two little fans on the brim (expr.?) of course we need a good filter here, so either a vacuum cleaner HEPA filter or another fine filter could be fixed (perhaps with a rubber band, or a frame). battery pack on the back of the helmet makes the whole thing self contained.
Instead of a hardhat, just a face/forehead protector could perhaps be used, but i wonder if airflow could be directed in a useful way with these.
See attached images.

:cool: Timo