PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Salad Bowls

Gilbert Vega
12-11-2005, 1:39 AM
A lady at work asked me to make her two Mesquite Salad bowls as a Christmas present for her two daughters. Turned them a weekend and after I presented them to her then told her the next ones would be at a higher price. Bowls were 9" diameter (have a Delta Midi) and 5" deep.

Mark Cothren
12-11-2005, 8:44 AM
Nice bowls, Gilbert! I haven't turned any Mesquite yet, but I sure do love it in the pics that I've seen posted. Looks like you had some dandy wood!

Thanks for the pics!

John Hart
12-11-2005, 9:01 AM
Oh Mark...you gotta try Mesquite! It LOVES to be on the lathe! Smells good, turns like butter, finishes great.....Wonderful stuff.

Gilbert - Nice lookin' work!!! Don't cha just hate giving them up?...And loving giving them up at the same time?

Ernie Nyvall
12-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Nice work Gilbert.

I know whacha mean. I'm doing some Statesman pens for cost of materials for an old friend. When she asked me about one, I gave her the price. She said well I'd like two then. :eek: I had to say whoa, if you are thinking about more, here's what the deal is.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
12-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Gilbert,
Nice looking bowls and the Mesquite is always a wood that does justice to salad bowls. Always wished it would grow hear as well as corn and soy beans do.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
12-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Very nice Gilbert. Nice form and finish.:) :)

Gilbert Vega
12-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.
I do love working with Mesquite, matter of fact, almost everything I turn as well as flatwork is made of Mesquite. I made sure she understood that the price for any other ones would be much higher.

So far, I've made small furniture pieces out of Mesquite and plan on doing some end tables and a coffee table for the den. By the way, I'm totally thrilled that today I sold a Mesquite chess table and chess pieces to a neighbor that was passing by and stopped to look. I was asking $400 for the set and he was more than glad to pay it. My first furniture sale. :D

John Hart
12-12-2005, 7:10 AM
That's great Gilbert! Ya know KC does a lot of mesquite furniture and goes to mesquite shows and stuff.... You oughta hook up!:)

Chris Barton
12-12-2005, 8:06 AM
You go guy! Nice bowls and great tale about your first sale!

Gilbert Vega
12-12-2005, 1:36 PM
That's great Gilbert! Ya know KC does a lot of mesquite furniture and goes to mesquite shows and stuff.... You oughta hook up!:)

I've seen the beautiful furniture he makes from posts here. I was hoping to see him at the Mesquite Festival this year but unfortunally was unable to attend.