PDA

View Full Version : New Chisels

Jim Dunn
12-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Grizzly has a set of 10 Japanese chisels for $130.00. Other than the 1/8" chisel I would like to have a set like this. The question is, does anyone have these chisels and how do they like them?:confused:

I like the idea of the back of the chisels being "hollowed" out on the back. Seems like there would be less area for friction when cutting mortices and squaring corners. That's just my impression as I have no real experience with chisels other than the Crftsmn's that I currently have.

Are there other better deals out there that I am unaware of? Are their other sets, maybe smaller, that makes more sence to own as a first complete set? I'd still like to finish my Crftsmn set out to use as general banging chisels.:rolleyes:

Mike Wenzloff
12-11-2005, 1:18 AM
Hi Jim,

I don't know about on SMC, but these chisels come up as topics on other forums frequently. The consensus seems to be that they are really decent chisels...but I wouldn't use them for anything more than paring out a mortise. I think they would be too hard of steel and would be prone to chipping.

Take care, Mike

Mark Singer
12-11-2005, 1:41 AM
For that amount of $$$ you could get a few nice chisels that are a little better for bench work....IMHO

Mitchell Garnett
12-11-2005, 6:05 AM
Lee Valley has what looks like a nice set of Hirsch chisels for $95. I looked at them in the Vancouver store last month and they appeared to be a good quality. I don't have the link handy but you can search for "hirsch firmer chisels" probably and get to the set.

Jerry Palmer
12-11-2005, 9:34 AM
I can only speak to the Hirsch Mortice chisels. I got a 3/8" one some time back and though the hollow grind left a bit too acute an angle at the business end for morticing, I honed a more obtuse cutting bezel and it does a great job, even on some brittle pecan. It is a monster sized chisel and the steel is tough and maintains an edge quite well.

Pam Niedermayer
12-11-2005, 3:55 PM
I'd recommend that you determine which sizes and types (paring, mortising, dovetail, bench) you need, then buy one or two superior varieties, such as Tasai, Funahiro, and Fujihiro/Imai. This way you'll have at worst a couple of excellent examples.

The Two Cherries are also excellent chisles. So if you insist on buying a set, these are good performers and reasonably priced.

Pam