PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Things We Do Not Need?

Jim Koepke
05-20-2019, 2:03 PM
Interesting item in my junk email file today from Garret-Wade (https://www.garrettwade.com/index.php/lug-nut-remover.html?AID=E189B&&SCID=EK051071&utm).

A geared lug nut wrench? Okay, back in the day we would just weigh ourselves and then measure out a mark on the wrench handle to calculate the torque.

One person to whom this was forwarded mentioned it might come in handy. It seems the folks at the tire service center never listen when he asks them to not tighten the lugs beyond a reasonable torque. He takes out a lug wrench after they install a tire and asks the manager or the worker to try to get it off. They then bring out their air wrenches and do a reset.

Another friend mentioned that it may be a good tool to pry dollars out of a wallet. :eek:

jtk

Kev Williams
05-20-2019, 2:39 PM
When I was about 8 years old us and some of my old man's co-workers were headed up the 12% grade to Cedar Breaks for a week long camping trip, towing a 19' Aljo with a '61 Ford Fairlane 500-- and the left rear tire went flat... Dad bent his and all his buddy's lug wrenches in half trying to get the lug nuts off that wheel. Some guy who came by with a big 4 way- that ended up bent- saved us. My mom, sitting in the nearly straight-up car with a migraine, would've traded MY right arm for one of those things...

We own a 40' Diesel pusher motorhome, and I have one of those in giant size so I can change my own tires if need be. I needed to once, those things work...

just sayin ;) ...

Tom M King
05-20-2019, 3:41 PM
I just use a long 1/2" breaker bar to break them loose.

Mel Fulks
05-20-2019, 4:35 PM
Luxurious overkill, you would have to wear a silk "smoking jacket " while using it! But lots of big men have had
a tough time with the lousy original equipment wrenches, even the good 4 corner cross bar wrenches might not be useable by most women.

Roger Feeley
05-20-2019, 5:25 PM
I haven't changed a tire in 20 years (haven't had to). Back in the day, though when it happened fairly often, I took precautions. If the guy at the service station used an impact wrench to get it 'good and tight', I got out the tire iron and made him re-tighten the lug nuts with it to insure that I would be able to loosen them. I can remember bouncing up and down on a tire iron once or twice. It's a scary thing to do.

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2019, 5:39 PM
I use torque multipliers frequently.

When you’re looking at a 3 inch nut on an antenna with the torque specification for it, you either need a torque multiplier or a trained gorilla.

Now, if your garage doesn’t use a torque wrench for wheel nuts, you should tell them it’s not 1956.......Rod

John K Jordan
05-20-2019, 7:50 PM
I use torque multipliers frequently.
When you’re looking at a 3 inch nut on an antenna with the torque specification for it, you either need a torque multiplier or a trained gorilla.

I once had a job where I inspected welds and bolts on construction sites. A typical torque was 250 ft lbs or so, not too hard with a long enough torque wrench. The tricky part for skinny lightweight me was applying enough force while standing and balancing on a narrow steel beam 7 stories up on open steel framing. For some irrational reason the beams on the outside of the frame were scarier than those in the middle even though a fall would have been identical. Something to multiply the torque would have been wonderful.

JKJ

Tom M King
05-20-2019, 8:54 PM
After breaking off all the bolts that hold a front end loader on a tractor, I decided I needed to get large enough torque wrenches. I looked at torque multipliers, and was getting ready to buy one when a Snap On 1" drive torque wrench showed up on ebay for less than the multiplier cost. I bought it, and after it came I realized that it needed a special handle. Checking Snap On prices showed that either a 3', or a 5' handle cost more than I had paid for the wrench.

I contacted the seller, to find out if he had the handle that came with it. He didn't know much about them, having bought them at an estate auction, but had a whole set of the wrenches, including a larger wrench that went up to 1500 lb., and the five foot handle that went with that one. I checked the model numbers on the Snap On site, and the handles fit both wrenches.

Long story shortened some, he gave me a price on the whole set, and it was less than a new 3' handle from Snap On. I knew shipping would be a lot, since these are Large tools. Checking shipping zipcodes, it turned out that he was close to where my Wife was going to a seminar that weekend, and he agreed to meet her halfway, which was about a 15 minute drive for each of them.

Here's the first one I bought, and another picture of the handle to show the condition they are in. Railroad spike for size comparison, and deck boards are 5-1/2" wide. This one reads up to 800 ft. lbs.

I doubt I'll ever have any use for the 1500 lb one. All have a recent enough Snap On calibration sticker that they should be plenty good enough for my use.

Lee Schierer
05-20-2019, 9:54 PM
I haven't changed a tire in 20 years (haven't had to). Back in the day, though when it happened fairly often, I took precautions. If the guy at the service station used an impact wrench to get it 'good and tight', I got out the tire iron and made him re-tighten the lug nuts with it to insure that I would be able to loosen them. I can remember bouncing up and down on a tire iron once or twice. It's a scary thing to do.

I made a dealership replace all the lug bolts on one of my cars because they over torqued all the lug bolts and one broke. Now I insist on hand torquing. They can remove them with an impact driver but the have to hand torque them.

Kev Williams
05-20-2019, 10:24 PM
For what it's worth, the 'geared lug wrench' in the OP's post is designed to remove nuts & bolts, not as a torque wrench to tighten them.

Here's mine, large, heavy, 58:1 gear ratio, can crank over 3400 ft pounds-

-this pic I lifted from a webpage..

The hard part is lifting the heavy bugger up to the lug nut! But once you're there an 8 year old can remove lug nuts from a semi ;)

Aaron Rosenthal
05-20-2019, 11:14 PM
I tried to get the lug nuts off my wife’s odyssey when spring came,
and even with a 1/2” breaker bar AND a 4’ extension, all I did was break the socket.
We went to Costco here and they changed the mounted fires back to mounted summers, and used a torque wrench.
Now I can change my own again.

John K Jordan
05-21-2019, 7:03 AM
I tried to get the lug nuts off my wife’s odyssey when spring came,
and even with a 1/2” breaker bar AND a 4’ extension, all I did was break the socket.
We went to Costco here and they changed the mounted fires back to mounted summers, and used a torque wrench.
Now I can change my own again.

I am fortunate to have a good pneumatic impact wrench just like the tire places use so I can always get the lug nuts loose. After having the "pros" mount wheels, I like to loosen and torque them properly. BTW, lubricating the threads can help a lot, not only for removing the lug nuts but for torquing correctly and to minimize bonding by corrosion. Some people are afraid to lubricate machine threads in fear it may let them work loose but that's been proven to be a myth. I lubricate every metal-to metal threaded connection on vehicles, farm equipment, etc. (For lug nuts, I also lube the contact countersink to prevent galling and wear.)

BTW, My favorite lube for both threads and most moving things is Zep 2000 - grease in an aerosol can. It's a liquid at first for coverage and penetration until the volatile solvent dissipates and it turns into a high viscosity grease. After my first experience with the stuff I buy it by the case. I use it almost everywhere that doesn't call for dry lube, anti-seize compound, or high temperature lube.

JKJ

Bill Dufour
05-21-2019, 9:21 AM
Harbor freight sells a little ratchet wrench but instead of a square drive stud it has a drill chuck gear key. Two sizes of chuck key one on each side. if I bought one I am sure it would be too big and too small.

Ronald Blue
05-21-2019, 11:00 AM
I didn't know there were many places that didn't use torque wrenches on lug nuts these days. Also most places use the torque limiting extensions on their impact so they aren't over tightened in the initial tightening. Kevin that's unlike any torque multiplier I ever used. Looks to specialized to be much use on anything but a wheel. That's a pretty short leg on it. What would you need 3400 ft lbs on. 3/4" wheel studs usually are torqued at 450 ft lbs. The ones I have used were 4:1 or 20:1. Power assembly bolts on a locomotive engine get torqued to 2400 ft lbs. 250 ft pounds is about the max you can pull or set it to on a 1/2" torque wrench. Then you jump to a 3/4" drive and a handle about 4 feet long.

Günter VögelBerg
05-21-2019, 11:11 AM
I bet that somewhere there is a forum of car enthusiasts talking about how ridiculous $350+ Lie-Nielsen planes are...

Ok, maybe not. But I have made my point.

Kev Williams
05-21-2019, 3:31 PM
Kevin that's unlike any torque multiplier I ever used. Looks to specialized to be much use on anything but a wheel.

That's all it's designed for, removing lug nuts holding on very large wheels and tires...

What would you need 3400 ft lbs on. 3/4" wheel studs usually are torqued at 450 ft lbs...

To remove extremely rusted lug nuts, or to actually twist a non-yielding lug bolt until it breaks-?
All I know is, it's capable of 3400 ft lbs. I'll never need that much torque, but it's there if I ever do!
There's a 41mm socket in the kit, which I believe corresponds to a 1" bolt diameter, I'll likely never run into anything that big either.
I bought it only so I don't have to pay someone to remove the wheels from our motorhome,
and for that purpose it shines. I think I paid $56 for the thing. One dismount/remount costs more than that- :)

Bert Kemp
05-21-2019, 8:26 PM
I have the best lug wrench available its called ROAD SIDE SERVICE:D I never worry about how tight my lug nuts are LOL

Mike Cutler
05-22-2019, 6:19 AM
If it works as it should, and lasts, it seems like a reasonable tool to have on hand. The price is reflective of Garrett Wade, but it is what it is. We have torque multipliers at work that are similar.
I think if someone jumps up and down on a new lug wrench, supplied with newer cars, you'll probably end up bending the handle. They're not very strong. The days of long sections of fence pipe used with the lug wrench are 25 years in the rear view mirror.
I haven't had a wheel installed by someone other than me in over twenty years on any of my vehicles.

Ole Anderson
05-22-2019, 9:16 AM
These days any "pro" will bring up the lug nuts to just tight with a rattle gun (likely with a torque limiting "stick"), then use a torque wrench for final tightening. I set my IR gun to minimum torque then finish off with my torque wrench. That reminds my I need to check the lug nut torque on my wife's car, I just did a brake job last week and lug nut torque needs to be checked after a hundred miles or so...

Jim Koepke
05-22-2019, 10:15 AM
These days any "pro" will bring up the lug nuts to just tight with a rattle gun (likely with a torque limiting "stick"), then use a torque wrench for final tightening.

The problem "these days" is there aren't many "pros" working in the average tire shop.

jtk

Ole Anderson
05-23-2019, 7:26 AM
The problem "these days" is there aren't many "pros" working in the average tire shop.

jtk Our local tire shop chain, Belle Tire, notes on all tire work orders which torque stick to use. And all of the guys (and gals) are required to use a torque wrench on lug nuts. I'll bet that most larger chains do the same. Maybe not in the average one-off tire shop.

Derek Meyer
05-23-2019, 2:02 PM
I take my vehicles to the local Les Schwab, and have for many years. I sit inside and watch them do the work through the windows. They use an air driver to snug the lug nuts on, then lower the vehicle to the ground and use a torque wrench to tighten the nuts. They are very methodical, using the same pattern for each wheel and going around the vehicle the same way every time.

Doug Dawson
05-23-2019, 2:07 PM
I take my vehicles to the local Les Schwab, and have for many years. I sit inside and watch them do the work through the windows. They use an air driver to snug the lug nuts on, then lower the vehicle to the ground and use a torque wrench to tighten the nuts. They are very methodical, using the same pattern for each wheel and going around the vehicle the same way every time.

I take my wheels off the car, put them in the trunk, and drive them down to the tire place to be serviced. (No, not in the same car.)

Tom M King
05-23-2019, 6:27 PM
I had a new seal put in the rear axle of my dually a couple of days ago. I know a good mechanic that works to a schedule, so he's the only one I'll go to if I don't want to do something myself.

The mechanic took the wheel off with a 1/2" battery powered impact driver. Proper torque for the dual wheels is 175 ft./lbs., and I'm sure that's what they were at. I was surprised that the battery powered tool handled those lugs easily. When he put the wheels back on, he used the same impact driver, but final torque was set with a fairly new Snap On torque wrench with beeping signals, and blinking lights.

Jim Koepke
05-24-2019, 2:40 AM
final torque was set with a fairly new Snap On torque wrench with beeping signals, and blinking lights.

My choice is always for a tool that is simple in design. My old 'beam' torque wrench with the pointer on a scale can be calibrated and certified with little to go wrong. Add a few blinking lights and some beeps, then there is all the electrical circuitry and other do-dads that might have a problem.

One time a quality engineer was trying to figure why things always needed technicians, like me, to fix things that were being manufactured. My response was if there is a failure rate of 0.001% on incoming parts and something has a thousand parts, then statistically one part is likely going to need replacing on everything produced.

The look on someone's face from the epiphany when something you point out to them registers can make the whole day enjoyable.

jtk

Doug Dawson
05-24-2019, 3:34 AM
My choice is always for a tool that is simple in design. My old 'beam' torque wrench with the pointer on a scale can be calibrated and certified with little to go wrong.

I'm totally up with that. I have the SnapOn torque wrenches, and I have a good set of Tohnichi beam type torque wrenches, and the latter are what I always reach for, unless there are access issues that would work against it. IMO there's no substitute for something that measures against basic physics, on that elemental level, that you can see and feel and nobody can deny. It has a fundamental rightness to it.

Jim Koepke
05-24-2019, 12:15 PM
[edited]
IMO there's no substitute for something that measures against basic physics, on that elemental level, that you can see and feel and nobody can deny. It has a fundamental rightness to it.

Keeping things simple is often the best course.

jtk

Ole Anderson
05-25-2019, 8:40 AM
Tough to read a beam style torque wrench when you are standing up with the wrench at your ankles and be any closer than 20%. I used to have one. Give me a digital click type wrench any day. I have the older Craftsman version in both 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. And the HF wrenches actually tested within a few percent. I have a cheap difficult to read vernier type scale click wrench (3/8") I keep in the Jeep set at 16 ft lbs and locked there (set with my digital 3/8" wrench). Use it for the u-joint bolts that need to be installed every time after I have been towing when I replace the drive shaft.

Jim Koepke
05-25-2019, 8:52 AM
Tough to read a beam style torque wrench when you are standing up with the wrench at your ankles and be any closer than 20%.

That is what friends, children and wives are for. :D

jtk

Ole Anderson
05-25-2019, 9:29 AM
That is what friends, children and wives are for. :D

jtk
"Hey honey, can you come out here and help me read the torque wrench? Sure as soon as I finish this row of stitching on this head cover for you new driver..."

John K Jordan
05-25-2019, 9:53 AM
I have the best lug wrench available its called ROAD SIDE SERVICE:D I never worry about how tight my lug nuts are LOL

Hmm, I wonder if they will come out when my bobcat is stuck in 8" of mud with a flat tire? I'll try calling next time!

Doug Dawson
05-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Give me a digital click type wrench any day. I have the older Craftsman version in both 3/8" and 1/2" sizes.

I've used several generations of Craftsman clickers (but not the most recent,) and they were terrible at maintaining calibration. I wouldn't trust them nearly as far as I would throw them. Maybe if you calibrated them before each use, but then you'd need a calibrator (expensive itself.) Not worth it.

Rob Lee
06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Hi -

I change 48 tires per year (6 cars, snows on/off fall/spring). Used to use an impact driver, but it was hot, heavy, and gave me blisters. Now I use a breaker bar, and set with a torque wrench. Once you get used to a breaker bar, you can skip the torque wrench when you get used to what the correct torque feels like (assuming your car(s) require the same torque.

For the RV, I also have a 4' 3/4" drive torque wrench, as lugs have to be torqued to 450 ft/lb, and the re-torqued after the first 100km or so. Every season I check the torque of the tow plates etc on the car I tow too.

Important to do!

Cheers -

Rob