PDA

View Full Version : Beech Vase

John Hart
12-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Keith Burns did a segmented piece the other day that had a really cool shoulder and I wanted to give that a try. This one is 6" tall and 3.25" in diameter. Half finished in oil. I could use some critiques on this for education sake. Thanks Much!

Andy Hoyt
12-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Can't find one darn thing wrong. Except....

You have the same problem I have with the camera set up --- a lean to the left.

In my case it's due to a totally wonky floor. Once that dawned on me, I began leveling the tripod with a small bubble and it went away.

John Miliunas
12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Ahhh...So now you're giving us the "cold" shoulder???:mad: And here I thought you were a pretty decent guy!:rolleyes: Hey John, it looks swell from where I'm sitting! I think you've got a real close replica (form-wise) of what Keith's piece was like. "Ugly stick" or "Bertha" have the honors??? OR, did you use your new Sorby???:) In any event, I think it rocks!:) :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Looks Good John!
I bet Keith will be proud of ya
The only thing that might help the form a little is maybe a smaller opening. JMO

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-11-2005, 1:00 AM
Looks great John. Reminds me of a Grecian Urn or Jar.

Bruce

Mark Singer
12-11-2005, 1:17 AM
John,
You have really come along way very fast.....terrific work...Very impressive!

Earl Eyre
12-11-2005, 1:56 AM
Half finished in oil. Thanks Much!

Looks great to me. The only question I had is what the other half is finished with? LOL Just kidding...

Earl

Gary DeWitt
12-11-2005, 2:55 AM
Looks good, John. If I had to find something to change, I'd say I find myself wishing there was one crisp or sharp line somewhere. Proportion, shoulder and refinement of line look great.

Rich Stewart
12-11-2005, 3:07 AM
Thats really good looking vase/urn/thing. I tried one today similar to it but the soulder broke off so now mine looks like that except no shoulder and no foot. Gettin down deep in those things gives me fits.

Chris Barton
12-11-2005, 7:44 AM
Hi John,

The Vase looks very nice. Simple but, elegant.

Dick Parr
12-11-2005, 8:02 AM
Very nice John. I agree on the smaller opening, just a little. Great job.

Mark Cothren
12-11-2005, 8:40 AM
Looks great to me, John! After reading the other comments about a smaller opening I tend to agree... BUT... this also looks great to me just like it is!

Nice work! Thanks for the pictures! Keep 'em coming!

John Hart
12-11-2005, 8:47 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone...and for the suggestions. After looking at the opening as you've suggested...Methinks you're right. I'll try another today with a smaller opening and see how she spins up.

John M - This piece didn't allow me to use the hollowmaster because of its size and shape...so the Ugly Stick and Bertha got all the action! They were happy!!:)

Thanks Andy....I try to pay attention to my "lean" but I get all excited and hurried. I'll try to pay more attention now that people are watching!!;) :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-11-2005, 9:13 AM
John, that's a nice vase, but as well as a smaller opening, I think a crisper line at the shoulder. It looks sort of flat to me from the pictures anyway. That is in comparison to Keith's.

But then what do I know... less than nothing:confused:

Ernie

John Hart
12-11-2005, 9:19 AM
....I think a crisper line at the shoulder. It looks sort of flat to me from the pictures anyway. That is in comparison to Keith's.

Ok...now I'm lost. I'm just about ready to start turning so I want to get clarification Ernie....What do you mean by "crisper line at the shoulder". I want to get this right.:)

Karl Laustrup
12-11-2005, 9:30 AM
I really like the form John. :)

I have to agree with Ernie though. Make that shoulder edge sharp and then just lightly sand so one doesn't cut ones self while doing the touchy feely thing.

That's my $1.398. Of course I don't turn. :o

Karl

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 9:35 AM
Looks good, John! The only suggestion I could make is (as others said) to make the neck and top a little smaller. You might also want to thin out the base a tad. The progress you are making ins incredible! It wasn't but a short time ago that you posted your first (if we are to believe you!:D) turnings.

Michael Stafford
12-11-2005, 9:48 AM
Looks pretty cool, John! I am amazed at how far you have come in such a short time. You have no fear at attempting new shapes and techniques.
Good job!:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-11-2005, 9:52 AM
Ok...now I'm lost. I'm just about ready to start turning so I want to get clarification Ernie....What do you mean by "crisper line at the shoulder". I want to get this right.:)

Well, it may be that when you make the opening smaller, then the neck will also be smaller, which would sort of cure what I am talking about. Just looking at Keith's, the shoulder is not rounded, but of course that wouldn't have worked with all the square holes. So on your's, maybe not that sharp, but not so rounded as the one you did. Am I making any sense?

Ernie

John Hart
12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
...Am I making any sense?

Yup...I think I got it. Between what you said and what Karl said, I think I get the general idea of where to take it......Now putting it into practice....well, that's another thing all together.

Thanks everyone! Down to the shop I go.;)

Bill Stevener
12-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi John,
You may be off turning, but I gave it a good morning look and 25th the comments on the neck and opening size. One other, however it may just be the photo. In the second photo the entire top - neck looks like it's sinking into the form. That's how it looks in my window. Other than that the body seems to have good line.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-11-2005, 4:31 PM
I made this one out of Cherry and did the silhouette thing. The bottom is actually curved...looks kinda whacky in this picture. Maybe it's the angle

So...Whatcha think?

John Hart
12-11-2005, 5:03 PM
Here's the lit pics

It is Black Cherry, 8" Tall 4" in diameter finished with a new cocktail. I think I'm going to like this finish

Jim Becker
12-11-2005, 5:07 PM
Really nice piece, John. The shoulder is a little more abrupt than ideal...as you ask about in response to Ernie in post #15. Smoothing it out so you have continuous curves will make everything "more sexy", as Phil Brennion (outgoing pres of AAW) might say. (This was in response to the first object)

The second form is excellent, albeit needs something different in the base. It seems to be "too tippy" visually. Here, because of the way you did the upper shoulder, I'd suggest you echo that element as you transition to a foot/base...bring the curve down and then do a reverse curve/flare out to a base that is a little larger than the present one. Maybe...split the difference between the size of the opening and the size of the upper shoulder for that size and see how it looks. Do some "scrap" turnings of these forms and then paint them flat black. Put them on a shelf so you can look at them without being distracted by the wood. In this manner, you'll start to see where proportions work and don't work as well as how well the curves work.

John Hart
12-11-2005, 5:51 PM
Jim- Thank you...I had to read your post a couple of times and I think I get what you're saying. Seems worth a shot. Tomorrow is another day eh?:)

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 5:52 PM
John, much better! I wasn't sure when I looked at the silhouette, but the full photos make it clear. BTW...you've GOT to learn to wipe the sawdust off before you shoot a pic!:D

Couldn't let you get by without picking on SOMETHING, could I?:p

Chris Barton
12-11-2005, 8:45 PM
Absolutely beeching John. I donno what to say about style. It should be fatter, shorter, longer, wider, and much ligther. and then, it would not have been what you made. Original version looks fine to me...;)