PDA

View Full Version : Glue sub-surface

Jack Frederick
05-20-2019, 9:19 AM
I was gluing up a panel yesterday and was wondering how you all protect the tops of your benches/tables/floors from the excess glue. I have a 36" roll of rosin paper I put down and a roll lasts a long time, but what other methods/materials do you use to contain the debris in glue-ups?

Doug Dawson
05-20-2019, 9:52 AM
I was gluing up a panel yesterday and was wondering how you all protect the tops of your benches/tables/floors from the excess glue. I have a 36" roll of rosin paper I put down and a roll lasts a long time, but what other methods/materials do you use to contain the debris in glue-ups?

I just put down a sheet of plastic, then wipe up any glue drips.

Robert Engel
05-20-2019, 9:55 AM
House wrap leftovers work great. Free if you know someone building a house.

Jim Becker
05-20-2019, 10:57 AM
I maintain my bench-top with occasional sanding and BLO. What little glue actually sticks to it is easily scraped off. Rarely do I put something down for gluing, but I do cover for finishing tasks "most of the time", but not "all of the time".

Jim Colombo
05-20-2019, 1:40 PM
I wax my top just like it was metal. Glue does not stick and is easily scraped off.

Sean Nagle
05-21-2019, 12:01 AM
Rosin paper. Sometimes wax paper.

Phil Mueller
05-21-2019, 7:39 AM
For small glue ups I use one of those Rockler glue mats. For larger glue ups I have access to large pieces of cardboard and will use that, or as you do, rosin paper.

Sam Blasco
05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
My main bench top is coated in epoxy. Nothing sticks to it. I have re-coated it every five years since I built it in 2004, making a little epoxy pooky first, to fill the holes and deep scratches. In between I have found a quick wipe with Pledge once in awhile keeps it slippery. If I have a major glue up to do, or I am using epoxy instead of wood glue I will cover the top with a plastic sheet.

John Goodin
05-22-2019, 2:07 AM
Wax paper, when I am done I just roll it up and throw it away.

Brian Tymchak
05-22-2019, 2:30 PM
Rosin paper. Sometimes wax paper.

+1 on rosin paper - bought a roll at Home Depot long ago and still have 1/3 of it left.

I used Watco Teak Oil on my bench when I built it. The varnish in it allows for fairly easy cleanup, although the glue can still get into grain.

Mike Wilkins
05-22-2019, 2:35 PM
A good wax coating has worked well for my bench. Glue drips just pop off when dry.

Dan Hulbert
05-23-2019, 10:44 AM
I coat my bench tops with shellac remnants then a coat of wax. When dry, a quick pass with a card scraper and the glue pops right off.

Charles Lent
05-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax. Glue never sticks. Let it dry and scrape it off.

Charley

Doug Dawson
05-23-2019, 1:08 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax. Glue never sticks. Let it dry and scrape it off.

Seems it would be easier just to use a piece of plastic, though, doesn't it?

Bradley Gray
05-23-2019, 10:37 PM
There is way too much plastic in the world already. If the appropriate amount of glue is applied there really isn't that much to remove.

I generally use a 2" slick to knock any glue beads off my glueing bench.

Doug Dawson
05-24-2019, 4:42 AM
There is way too much plastic in the world already.

I can't picture a dolphin choking on a leftover piece of plastic sheeting after a painting project. So I'll just keep reusing it.

Charles Lent
05-24-2019, 9:39 AM
Use what works best for you and your's. I also have one of the silicone rubber mats from Rockler that works quite well. I use it whenever gluing something above a work surface other than my main workbench that may not be waxed. I decided to buy it after I was given a silicone rubber glue tray and brush applicator and found them to be easy to clean. The dry glue just pops off of them when they are flexed.

Charley

Tom Bender
05-27-2019, 5:52 AM
Those of us with slick bench tops have a different problem, things slide around. Mine is poly which is less slick than wax. Still not happy, bare pine would be great and terrible.

Ron Selzer
05-27-2019, 9:45 AM
Seems it would be easier just to use a piece of plastic, though, doesn't it?

can't image fighting the plastic slipping, curling, moving, tearing, etc. maybe no where near as bad as I think
my bench top is rift sawn white oak with three coats of Minwax water based varnish
glue pops right off
top is getting scratched etc, when it gets bad enough will sand down and apply more varnish

Jim Becker
05-27-2019, 9:53 AM
Those of us with slick bench tops have a different problem, things slide around. Mine is poly which is less slick than wax. Still not happy, bare pine would be great and terrible.
What kind of wax matters and if you don't "polish it up", it's not such a slippery thing that causes stuff to move a lot more than without. I prefer the BLO like I mentioned earlier in the thread because it helps inhibit glue from getting into the wood fibers which helps make scraping drops and drips off relatively easy, but with no "build", the surface feels like bare wood which is nice.