PDA

View Full Version : My first table

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2005, 10:18 PM
A small occasional table for SWMBO so she has a place to put a glass of wine and a book when she gets downtime. 12" x 18" top and 24" tall.

I got the wood from Tom Sontag at Lumber Logs - $4 per bf for the figured cherry.

Half and half for power vs hand tools. Cut the tapers with my bs, smoothed them with my LV BUS. Smoothed the top and aprons with it as well. Jointed the top with my LV LA jointer. Need to work on my technique, but I'll get there.

Was going to post this on the Neander forum, but I only did the finish work with hand tools. Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

After looking more closely at the pics - yikes! Yes, we have two dogs and a cat...

Jim Hill
12-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Gary,

I think the table looks great. SWMBO will really enjoy it!

Jim

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Wow, how did you do that without a table saw:confused::D:D Hand tools:confused: If so don't tell your wife you'll be a long time waiting on one:eek::eek: It is nice though!!

Jim

Vaughn McMillan
12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Nice table, Gary. Great wood and great work.

Two dogs and a cat? :eek: Pfffft. Our two dogs alone can out-shed that little bit. :D

- Vaughn

Bob Oehler
12-10-2005, 11:21 PM
very nice table great work.

Love the shaker style.

takecare
Bob Oehler

tod evans
12-11-2005, 9:09 AM
nice job gary.

Roy Wall
12-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Nice work Gary! Beautiful top! The hand planed finish is excellent.

Are the legs tapered to the inside (two sides each leg)??? Can't tell on the photo........

Good Job!

Gary Herrmann
12-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Yes, the legs are tapered on the two inside edges.

Frank Hagan
12-11-2005, 2:40 PM
Very nice ... I like the way the underside of the top is beveled to give it a lighter look.

Ken Shoemaker
12-11-2005, 2:45 PM
Well Done... Nice job on the finish. I've read that cherry can get "blotchy".. I'm getting ready to start a small table project as well.. How did you get the even tone for the finish???

Thanks for letting me see it.

Ken

Corey Hallagan
12-11-2005, 3:06 PM
Very nice Gary, beautiful wood and finish and some great craftsmanship. Thanks for posting, congrats!

Corey

Gary Herrmann
12-11-2005, 5:04 PM
Ken, I used General Finishes wipe on finish.

Apply a thin coat with a rag using long strokes going with the grain, wipe off the same way. One coat seal a cell, 3 top coats. Light sanding in between to knock down the nibs.

I think good surface prep is key. Rather than sanding, I experimented with my smoothing plane this time. I don't think it really matters, but a good smooth finish is a good foundation.

Maybe figured cherry - with the twisty grain promotes blotchiness? Not sure. At some point I need to expand my finishing techniques, but for now, I've hit on one that turns out reasonably well - at least based on the last few projects.

I'm sure the experts over on the finishing forum would probably have a wealth of good ideas too.

Mark Stutz
12-11-2005, 6:57 PM
Great looking table, and good looking cherry as well. I have a project coming up and was planning on giving Tom a call for some cherry. Hope you didn't take it all!:D

Mark

Jim Becker
12-11-2005, 8:24 PM
Very nice table, Gary! Thanks for sharing it...no, go make more so you have a matched set!! :)