PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day = shop time

Rob Luter
05-19-2019, 4:58 PM
I don’t get much time in my shop during the warm months. It rained this weekend so I got to finish a couple projects. First is a charcuterie tray for my betrothed. We don’t often serve charcuterie but by golly next time we do we do it in style. Black walnut finished in mineral oil and beeswax. I mimicked the live edge on the end grain and it played pretty well. This piece was near a crotch and it’s got some nice grain that the oil really popped. She was pleased.

The second was a more utilitarian effort. The enablers at the Lie Nielsen tool event compelled me to order a honing guide. It’s amazing how persuasive they can be without even saying a word :D.

i made a little setup jig to set blade extension and establish honing angle. It’s a prototype and needs a couple tweaks, but it’s fully functional. I’ll make the next one one out of something tough and oily.

Jim Koepke
05-19-2019, 5:47 PM
It must be raining all across the continent. It is too wet to do much outside here today.

Spending a bit of time in the shop to work on some smaller projects that have been accumulating.

A new drawer needs to be made for storing files so they do not bump together. This required moving some notebooks to make room in a shelf opening to mount a drawer.

Also did some work on a couple of handles to make the grip more ergonomic. (making something ergonomic sound more pricey than making something feel comfortable)

jtk

steven c newman
05-19-2019, 7:01 PM
I'd get some shop time....I just don't like wet feet....still have to finish the duct work for the new dryer down there...and demo out an old set of shelves....as there is a new set down there...

Rob Luter
05-19-2019, 7:23 PM
It must be raining all across the continent. It is too wet to do much out side here today.

Spending a bit of time in the shop to work on some smaller projects that have been accumulating.

A new drawer needs to be made for storing files so they do not bump together. This required moving some notebooks to make room in a shelf opening to mount a drawer.

Also did some work on a couple of handles to make the grip more ergonomic. (making something ergonomic sound more pricey than making something feel comfortable)

jtk

i like ergonomic. I’m making a walking stick out of a sapling from my property. I’m carving the root ball into a shaped hand grip. I find carving therapeutic.

Patrick Whitehorn
05-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Beautiful tray! How did you attach the 'feet' - sliding dovetails?

Rob Luter
05-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Beautiful tray! How did you attach the 'feet' - sliding dovetails?

Thanks. Nothing that fancy. A couple shallow dados to establish location and then counter bored screws from below. I may try the dovetail approach next time.