PDA

View Full Version : Blum tandem slides jig yes or no

justin sherriff
05-19-2019, 4:11 PM
I am making a vanity for my up coming bathroom remodel it has 2 draws. I will be using the Blum tandem undermount slides. Rockler has a $30 jig for drilling the mounting holes. Now it does look like it would be nice to have if I was using it all the time.
So how much do you really need a jig vs just taking your time?

Brian Ross
05-19-2019, 5:45 PM
I build kitchens and use the same slides. I only do 3 a year but have never used the jigs that are available. I always have plywood scraps and cut one to the length that I need to support the slide. Use the same on the other side and don't have to worry about the slides being at different heights.

Brian

Brian Ross
05-19-2019, 5:46 PM
I build kitchens and use the same slides. I only do 3 a year but have never used the jigs that are available. I always have plywood scraps and cut one to the length that I need to support the slide. Use the same on the other side and don't have to worry about the slides being at different heights. I do use a vix bit when predrilling the screw holes

Brian

Tom M King
05-19-2019, 6:42 PM
If you've never used these slides before, make a test drawer(or two) out of scrap first. You're sure to learn something on the first one. I never bought the jigs either, but did make one for the holes in the drawer backs.

Jon Nuckles
05-19-2019, 9:53 PM
No need for a jig to drill for the slides.

Joe Hendershott
05-20-2019, 6:04 AM
If you are talking about the rear holes in the box then I say yes. That jig made drilling the holes easier and I now still use it after 50+ boxes, makes it perfect every time. The jig for screwing the slides to the cabinet isn't needed. Cut so scrap aterial that height and they are always perfect.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-20-2019, 8:52 AM
I bought the jig, used it a couple times, now it just sits around somewhere, not even sure where. Install a couple and you will catch on quickly.

Mark Hockenberg
05-20-2019, 11:05 AM
+1 for Brian's method above. I have installed hundreds and I don't use a jig for mounting holes. Using the Tandem, mark the hole location with a vix bit, then finish with a 5 mm bit. Then use 5mm euro screws to mount.