PDA

View Full Version : How do I cut this kerf?

dennis thompson
05-19-2019, 9:49 AM
I make A lot of toys and am currently making a tow truck. Attached is a pattern for the side, the double line running across the top and around it is a 1/16" kerf cut into it. Can anyone suggest how I might cut this ?410079410080

Jamie Buxton
05-19-2019, 10:46 AM
CNC router. Really. Cutting all those recesses with a handheld router is very difficult. You could concoct a group of templates to guide a router, but it would take six or seven of them. Faced with that, I'd abandon that design, or re-design it for non-CNC construction.

glenn bradley
05-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Is this decorative or is it a groove for a panel? Either way I would consider a redesign if I were going to so that more than a couple times. For a one-off a 1/16" bit in a Dremel with a base would get it done. Visit some musical instrument makers sites. They do delicate inlay quite often and probably have some good tips. If you make dozens I would farm it out. You would have to sell a lot of those to pay for even dipping your toe into a serious CnC setup.

John Gornall
05-19-2019, 1:29 PM
Hand tools - scratch stock - or string inlay tools, Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen

Bill Dufour
05-19-2019, 1:58 PM
overhead Pin router or purfling cutter.
Bill D

dennis thompson
05-19-2019, 2:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll redesign and maybe add some very thin strips of a contrasting wood as trim

Jim Becker
05-19-2019, 4:12 PM
You could also undersize the part so you can do a rabbit for the recess along the side and then apply the edge at full height. A trim router with an edge guide could also do it, but you'll have to hand finish the corner for obvious reasons.

Charles Lent
05-20-2019, 10:05 AM
I think I would just make the edging with a scroll saw and some 1/16 Baltic Birch. Then glue it in place.

Charley

dennis thompson
05-20-2019, 9:04 PM
I think I would just make the edging with a scroll saw and some 1/16 Baltic Birch. Then glue it in place.

Charley

That's what I did with some contrasting walnut, looks ok :)