PDA

View Full Version : Little pot or big worms?

Carole Valentine
12-10-2005, 9:02 PM
I was inspired by Molly Winton's little "pocket pots" as she calls them. Then when she sent me one of hers as my Secret Santa gift, I knew I had to do some. This is my latest effort...not itty bitty though. It is Box Elder 2 1/4" x 2" and weighs 1/2 oz. Has 2 coats of lacquer so far and will receive many more when I get around to it.

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 9:23 PM
Very nice form, Carole...great photo, too. These smaller objects can be a whole lot of fun to turn. I also find them a little harder to refine the curves since the scale is smaller and that's a great learning situation.

Jim Ketron
12-10-2005, 9:31 PM
Nice HF Carole!
Love the shape.
I have some BE with some nice holes it it also.

Carole Valentine
12-10-2005, 9:32 PM
Very nice form, Carole...great photo, too. These smaller objects can be a whole lot of fun to turn. I also find them a little harder to refine the curves since the scale is smaller and that's a great learning situation.
Thanks, Jim. You might be interested to know that my "photo booth" for this was a piece of paper propped against the microwave, under flourescent kitchen lights no less.:eek::D

John Hart
12-10-2005, 11:07 PM
You mean all I needed was to take pictures in the kitchen? Sheesh! Beautiful little HF Carole. All around nice!

Andy Hoyt
12-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Yup, that's nice.

How'd it feel turning something so huge?

John Miliunas
12-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Carole, I think you nailed the form on that right to a "T"! Nice job and wonderful looking wood, as well. Good job!:) :cool:

Travis Stinson
12-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Very nice form all the way around Carole! The proportions look spot on. I especially like the detailed rim, any close up shots of that?:cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Outstanding effort Carole. Just love it.

Bruce

Rich Stewart
12-11-2005, 2:17 AM
Thats a real pretty pot Carole. Did you do that on the Jet mini?

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 9:04 AM
Thats a real pretty pot Carole. Did you do that on the Jet mini?
Rich, I did it on the Nova but it certainly is Jet Mini size.:)

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 9:05 AM
Very nice form all the way around Carole! The proportions look spot on. I especially like the detailed rim, any close up shots of that?:cool:
Thanks Travis. I will try to get a closeup after the finish is complete, but I doubt that it will be a very good photo with my lousy camera!

Ernie Nyvall
12-11-2005, 9:38 AM
Wow, you have great lighting in your Kitchen. I really like the pocket pot. Nice form.

Ernie

Keith Burns
12-11-2005, 1:07 PM
Carole, that is an excellent piece, Love the form. I thought it was larger than it is. Of course your work always impresses me. You have a great eye for form and detail.

Mark Singer
12-11-2005, 1:14 PM
Really Excellent! Your a winner! You already knew that:rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
12-11-2005, 2:02 PM
That is a precious little pot. I am particularly fond of smaller turned objects thus my affinity for boxes. This pot is just the right size to be held and caressed and admired up close and personal. Lovely!:D

A little off topic but I know that lovely red color will fade as all things of color must. Will lacquer afford it more protection than some of the other finishes?

Carole Valentine
12-11-2005, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys! This little guy was fun to turn! Mike, unfortunately, I don't think anything will keep the red in BE forever. I don't know that lacquer does any better than any other finish. If you keep the piece in the dark, the red would probably outlive us, but then why turn something if it is to be stuffed away in the dark? LOL I just let Mother Nature have her way. That she blesses us at all with such vivid color hidden inside a tree is simply wonderful so I am thankful for the time it lasts! :)