PDA

View Full Version : I think I am going to enjoy turning

Bob Noles
12-10-2005, 8:26 PM
I have spent the better part of this day in/out the shop working on a good lathe bench, or what y'all call flat work :eek: After all that time, I believe I may be about 30% complete. Had good weather around 55 today, so I got to do most of the work outside.

Hearing you folks talk about completing a project from beggining to end in only an hour or 2 on the lathe has me all excited. It will be nice to complete a project once and awhile in that kind of a time frame. I came in slap worn out and covered in sawdust from head to toe, but had and enjoyable day never the less.

Made a borg run this morning for a few materials, but most came from the scrap pile so my cost in this project will only be around $25. That is not bad considering other shop projects I have done in the past. Kind of anxious to get this one done so I can share some pictures with y'all. I think you are going to like this bench. It will have some unique features and should serve me well in my turning learning process :D

Chris Barton
12-10-2005, 8:30 PM
Hi Bob,

It sounds like you are already having fun and you haven't even turned yet! Wow, 55 in Atlanta huh, I think were may have broken 30 in Nashville today. The next time I get to work outside will probably be April.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2005, 8:51 PM
Sounds like you had a good day making sawdust Bob. I didn't get to the wood shop today. I fixed 2 clocks today. Have to do a little catchup. Will be going to Denver tomorrow morning to pickup the new lathe. You need to post some pictures cause I may need to make bench myself. Have a good weekend.

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 9:31 PM
Bob it's catching:eek::eek::eek: Been all day cleaning up that part of the shop where my lathe sets. "Especially after I found out they gots wommen in this forum." Got to make a good impression for when I post pics:p:p:p

John Hart
12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Hot Dog Bob!!! Almost there! I like doing flat work once in a while but it sure cuts into lathe time.....Days and days of gluing and sanding and finishing and measuring and clamping and screwing and sawing and planing. I do like it....once in a while. :D

....It will be nice to complete a project once and awhile in that kind of a time frame.....

Rich Stewart
12-11-2005, 2:11 AM
Set that thing up on saw horses if you have to. Start turning.

Gary DeWitt
12-11-2005, 2:46 AM
Ready
Fire!
Aim, Bob. You're almost there! Starting with some sort of spindle practice, right? Just square up a bit of 2x4 scrap, mark, mount and start! Then figure out what you're doing.
Good luck, keep us posted.