PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Grips Rite Right Angle Head Adapter Drill Attachment & Supreme Chuck

Kurtis Johnson
05-16-2019, 3:13 PM
Hello. I meandered over from the Sawmill Creek's knuckle draggers. I picked up a box of tools off CL. Got a horsehair brush and a few other nice things. Among them was this vintage Grips Rite Right Angle Head Adapter Drill Attachment & Supreme Chuck - PAT. No. D162877. Nice attachment for the drill press. With the fins, seems made for the hand which I find strange. The shank has three flats which works for the jaws of a drill press. I find next to nothing on the internet about it (usually not a good sign). Anyone seen this model of right angle drill attachment before?

409982 409983 409984
409985 409986 409987

Joe Jensen
05-16-2019, 3:26 PM
Why are you assuming it's for a drill press?

David Buchhauser
05-16-2019, 5:11 PM
Hi Kurtis,
What you have here is a right angle attachment for an electric hand drill (not drill press). This is intended to convert your straight drill to a right angle drill. The ribs on the ball end are for your fingers, as you have suggested. I have several smaller versions (different brands) that do come in handy at times.
David

(This one sold on Ebay about 3 years ago for $21.95)

Kurtis Johnson
05-16-2019, 6:10 PM
Why are you assuming it's for a drill press?
Umm, I’m not. I’m assuming it’s either for a DRILL or a pneumatic tool of some sort. I have zero experience with pneumatic tools however. It sure seems to work fine on my drill press though, which is handy for sure. The reason I posted is I want to know the thoughts of others. Do YOU have something you’d like to share?

Kurtis Johnson
05-16-2019, 6:13 PM
Hi Kurtis,
What you have here is a right angle attachment for an electric hand drill (not drill press). This is intended to convert your straight drill to a right angle drill. The ribs on the ball end are for your fingers, as you have suggested. I have several smaller versions (different brands) that do come in handy at times.
David

(This one sold on Ebay about 3 years ago for $21.95)

Okay, that’s where my brain went with it. Cool! Thanks for the info!