PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Magazines

lowell holmes
05-16-2019, 12:30 PM
I currently receive two. Typically, I receive them, thumb through them, and put them on a shelf.

I think I will not renew the subscriptions.

Am I the only one that does this?

Art Mann
05-16-2019, 12:42 PM
I have dropped all woodworking magazine subscriptions because none of them are very good any more. Apparently, there is not enough profit in it to produce really good content. It is a shame but printed material, whether hobby magazine or newspaper, is just going by the wayside.

Dave Anderson NH
05-16-2019, 12:59 PM
I hate to say it but I'm with Art on this one. I dropped all of my subscriptions over 5 years ago. I wonder whether or not any paper magazines will be able to survive in the special interest arena.

lowell holmes
05-16-2019, 1:35 PM
After we all drop our subscriptions, where will we get our ideas?

Jim Koepke
05-16-2019, 2:48 PM
After we all drop our subscriptions, where will we get our ideas?

From our dreams, our spouses and Youtube.

jtk

lowell holmes
05-23-2019, 10:25 AM
I still have a subscription to Fine Woodworking. I enjoy looking at old issues.

I really enjoyed Popular Woodworking when Schwartz was there.

Rob Luter
05-23-2019, 10:54 AM
I used to receive FWW. I enjoy them. I currently have an electronic subscription and it makes more sense. I can read back issues on my tablet, print out project articles, and the search utility is nice too.

steven c newman
05-23-2019, 9:46 PM
I tend to look at them in the racks by the check-out counters at the borgs.....if the line is long enough, I can even read through a couple....IF I find something I like (rarely) I might even buy one.....maybe. just bought the latest issue of FWW at the Blue Borg a while back....something about building stools...

just found an older FWW..No. 109.....

Tony Zaffuto
05-24-2019, 5:05 AM
I occasionally buy one off the shelf at the Borg checkout counter, but that is very infrequent, and only occurs when the proper shiny object is shown on the cover!

Bob Glenn
05-24-2019, 5:35 PM
Dropped Fine Woodworking and will probably drop PWW too next year for all the reasons listed above. Currently looking into subscribing to Fair Woodworking!

Edward Clarke
05-24-2019, 9:00 PM
I dropped FWW and sold all of my old copies (many many years from #1) several years ago. I can't afford the physical space and the shear effort of looking through hundreds of issues for that one perfect article. As a replacement I have purchased digital copies of a bunch of older magazines -

American Woodworker (1985-2014)
Popular Woodworking Magazine (1995-2018)
Woodwork Magazine (1989-2014)
Woodworking Magazine (2004-2009)
The Craftsman (1901-1916)

I see that FWW is available from issue #1 through the 2018 year on DVD for $99. Perhaps I'll get that too. I started with digital when Chris Schwarz started giving out free PDFs of his books when you bought the hard copy. An older display card with a newer 4096 screen works well with these pdf files if you can run the display in portrait mode... especially if you're eyes aren't young any more. Before anyone asks - I got The Craftsman off of eBay on cdroms a long time ago but I see a similar version on Amazon for $10 - The Craftsman Collection.

mike v flaim
05-24-2019, 10:11 PM
I get a few because the subscription is so cheap. the one I really enjoy is Mortise and Tenon. Mainly focuses on hand tool techniques.

Doug Dawson
05-25-2019, 1:03 PM
I currently receive two. Typically, I receive them, thumb through them, and put them on a shelf.

I think I will not renew the subscriptions.

Am I the only one that does this?

I like to hand them to my wife, because it helps to maintain her enthusiasm (as well as providing her with project ideas.)

She tends to blanch at the cost of the tools. I, OTOH, tend to blanch at the cost of the wood, which is the much bigger deal. Pucker factor when you have to buy twice as much as you need just to get the figure right. And people complain about six bucks to subscribe to this site, I wonder about that, could they all just be using pallet wood...

Jerry Olexa
05-28-2019, 8:59 PM
I still have a subscription to Fine Woodworking. I enjoy looking at old issues.

I really enjoyed Popular Woodworking when Schwartz was there.

PW has changed a LOT in past couple years...It was good..I did not renew this year...

Günter VögelBerg
05-29-2019, 1:30 PM
I get Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuuilding, and This Old House. I think Fine Homebuilding is the most interesting. I could live without them, but I renew them because I like having something analog and tactile that I can flip through when I can't sleep.

Jason Kamery
05-30-2019, 7:30 AM
When you look around on YouTube, Reddit and Instagram to all these "makers" that are out there, they are building quick, simple projects that any person can do. It's been nice for woodworking in the sense because it gets more people interested in the hobby and people making things instead of always buying cheap furniture can be good.

The problem seems to be that these magazines are competing for that market instead of people who want to take their woodworking to the next level. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I will see an article on a topic or project that is "next level" but it's not that common. I get why they do it, it's a bigger market pool, a lot of these newer woodworkers want to buy jigs to make things easier, simpler and safer (not a knock on people who buy jigs, I get it) and it's easy to sell that ad page spot to an advertiser that makes that jig.

Sadly though, I think magazines will continue this direction and people who want to get more advanced in woodworking either need to take a class with someone skilled, read a book by someone skilled or follow one of the very few blogs out there of skilled woodworkers.

Complete side note, used book sales sometimes carry some decent woodworking books and usually can get them for a $1!

Mike Null
05-30-2019, 8:29 AM
I dropped my subscriptions years ago though I still have a lot of FWW mags on hand. With the various forums and You Tube I don't need magazines. I did read most of the ads as my way of keeping up with the hobby.

Jack Frederick
05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
PW went by the wayside a couple years ago. it was my favorite with CS and MF were editors. I would occasionally pick up a copy off the rack, but today it is even hard to find a display rack of magazines. I still take FWW and will continue to do so. While I am in the digital world I still like a book or magazine in my hand.

Derek Cohen
05-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Good point, Jason.

Regards from Perth

Derek