PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

Jim Ketron
12-10-2005, 7:34 PM
This was a demo bowl I roughed turned at the last turning club meeting. I gave a demo on green bowl turning and using Dave Smiths DNA method for drying. Finished it up and took it to this months meeting to show how fast you can go from green to a finished bowl using Dave's methods.
It measures 9"X3" tall Finish is Gel Poly and buffed on the beall.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Cherry2.jpg

Travis Stinson
12-10-2005, 8:02 PM
Very cool Jim. Did that put any fence sitters over the edge? Neat demo idea.:cool:

Bill Stevener
12-10-2005, 8:02 PM
Fine looking bowl Jim, looks gust like the one Grandma us-to mix bread doe in. That's just the way they were maid back then.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris Barton
12-10-2005, 8:33 PM
I also turned a cherry bowl today (pic to come later) but, I continue to have issues with some end grain tearout despite using light cuts, super sharp tools and sanding the snot out of the piece. Jim, your looks perfect, how do you combat the dreaded tearout?

Carole Valentine
12-10-2005, 9:05 PM
That bowl makes me really, really want a good salad!:D It's a beauty, Jim!

Jim Ketron
12-10-2005, 9:25 PM
Thanks all for the complements!

Chris
There are a lot of different things you can do.
Yes sharp tools makes a big difference, and tool presentation also. I use the same cuts Bill Grumbine shows in his DVD. some woods are just prone to tearout, even if its supposed to be an easy wood to work with. If I have a piece that is giving me trouble I sometimes use something to stiffen up the fibers so it cuts instead of tearing them out. like paste wax, watco, gel poly. let it dry then take very lite finishing cuts. and then finally if all else fails the 80 grit gouge.
I have found with each bowl I make I have less problems with tearout! I think a lot has to do with sharpness of the gouge and tool presentation.
Hope this helps some
Jim

John Hart
12-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Nice lookin Bowl Jim! The alky method is great....It's nice you're out there promoting it.

Michael Stafford
12-11-2005, 7:30 AM
Jimbo I turned at least two bowls from that wood that you gave me that had a similar color. This bowl looks great. I know you guys converted me, at least partially, to a green wood turner so I know you will convert your folks at the turning club. I mean, it is this simple, it works!

Chris, as Jim said, gouge presentation is everything. If you are using a fingernail ground bowl gouge you can roll it on its side and do a scraping cut on the inside and the outside that will remove peach fuzz and smooth that bowl down to where you can start sanding at higher grits. Sometimes you will also get better results on you finishing cuts if you speed the lathe up a wee bit. Others will have differing opinions.

Dick Parr
12-11-2005, 8:05 AM
Looks great Jim, I have two from the same tree that I got from you still sitting there drying. Really it was one, but I cored a second bowl out of the blank.:D

Hope mine look that good;)

Bob Noles
12-11-2005, 8:22 AM
Jim,

That is a great looking bowl for sure and thanks for sharing. How can I find more on Dave Smith's DNA method of drying?

Ernie Nyvall
12-11-2005, 8:34 AM
Jim, good idea on the presentation. Nice bowl too.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
12-11-2005, 8:36 AM
Good work, Jim - and a nice bowl to boot!

I just thought everybody DNA'd, since that's the way Dennis taught me from the beginning...:confused: ;) :D

Jim Ketron
12-11-2005, 9:40 AM
Bob You Have a Private Message.

Bob Noles
12-11-2005, 9:54 AM
Jim,

I received it and thanks so much. That was very informative :)

Keith Burns
12-11-2005, 1:02 PM
Jim, another winner for sure ! I've got a piece of green gum I'm going to get started on after Christmas. Going to need your help big time. Think it might make a NE.

John Miliunas
12-11-2005, 2:26 PM
Great looking bowl, Jim and super demo!:) Then again, I've never come across one of your pieces which I haven't liked.:D BTW, if you can forward me the info on the DNA process, I'd greatly appreciate it, as well. Thanks!:) :cool: