PDA

View Full Version : automobile oil filters...

Chuck Wintle
05-15-2019, 8:00 AM
Have heard recently that Fram oli filters are not that good contrary to what I had believed. So who is making good filters these days? I need to change the oil in my car so the question as to brand is good....:D

Brady Watson
05-15-2019, 8:17 AM
Fram hasn't made a good filter since the 80s...however their top model isn't too bad from what I hear... however I won't use them or anything k&n.

Walmart sells the Mobil filters that are good. In fact I converted everything over to Mobil filters last year from ATV to Diesel truck and tractor. Walmart has all I need in stock as either standard length or extra capacity for the lowest price. Oil is the least expensive there too...so it's one stop shopping. My truck alone takes 2.5 gallons of oil....so it adds up.

Chris Damm
05-15-2019, 8:19 AM
Wix is top rated.

Darcy Warner
05-15-2019, 8:19 AM
I always ran napa filters on my gas trucks, I put a motor craft one on my 7.3, 10 bucks at Walmart along with the best price on rotella oil.

Andrew Gibson
05-15-2019, 8:56 AM
I have been Wix filters on all of my vehicles now for several years. My local O'Reilly stock them. I have been told that Napa Filters are rebranded Wix, but would have to do a little research to confirm that rumor.

George Bokros
05-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Motorcraft or Pureolater

Art Mann
05-15-2019, 12:50 PM
I have driven several vehicles way past 100,000 miles and I have yet to experience an engine failure. I can't even remember an engine that needed oil between changes. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles and use whatever filter the oil change place is selling at the time. I don't think the brand of oil filter makes much difference.

Lee Schierer
05-15-2019, 1:09 PM
Have heard recently that Fram oli filters are not that good contrary to what I had believed. So who is making good filters these days? I need to change the oil in my car so the question as to brand is good....:D

What is the basis for the sudden revelation of quality or the lack thereof?

Roger Feeley
05-15-2019, 1:34 PM
How do you tell from one filter to the next? It seems to me that this is something we either take on faith or find some reputable source that has done some sort of experimentation. Or perhaps, someone out there has a fleet of cars and can conduct a comparison. If you blow an engine, can you trace it down to bad filters?

Chuck Wintle
05-15-2019, 3:42 PM
What is the basis for the sudden revelation of quality or the lack thereof?
I was watching a youtube video showing the poor quality of the fram filter. probably misinformation to be sure but it creates doubt about the product. :D

Lee Schierer
05-15-2019, 4:40 PM
I was watching a youtube video showing the poor quality of the fram filter. probably misinformation to be sure but it creates doubt about the product. :D

The old "if I found it on the internet it must be true" did this person take apart several other brands to show the difference? How did he measure the filtering capabilities? 🤔

Brady Watson
05-15-2019, 6:42 PM
Do a Google search regarding how much Fram filters and others stack up against each other.

Want to know what a good oil filter is? Ask a racer. When it means the difference between a few extra passes, laps or races before a rebuild they know what's up. Some filters puke early, mess with oil pressure and that means less support for the crank at high RPM. Doubt that matters to you but...

The next best thing is looking for websites out there that actually test the filters and cut them in half. There are a number of them.

Truth be told, an oil or filter thread can go in for eons with belly buttons being what they are. For me, one stop shopping and not Fram or K&N fits my needs. Find out what fits yours.

Doug Dawson
05-15-2019, 7:06 PM

When it comes to oil filters, I default to dealer part. For such a small difference in cost relative to other more substantive things, I can't be bothered to think that the aftermarket part is in any way "superior". It takes the uncertainty out of the equation. It's just not worth arguing about.

Bob is the Oil Cult. And he's your uncle too, FWIW.

Bruce Wrenn
05-15-2019, 9:06 PM
I've seen the video describing Fram filters as junk. Based upon the filter surface area contained in a Fram filter, they are a little short compared to other brands. Doesn't mean they are less effective though. I've had problems with the sealing rings on both Purlator and Fram filters falling out of their grooves. We have four vehicles parked in the driveway, two with about 130 K on them, and two with the north side of 230K. My 88 Nissian pickup went 540K before it died. 90 Honda civic went over 337K before the body rusted into. All used Fram filters, with 7500 mile oil changes. I have been using Walmart Super Tech synthetic oil for several years now.

Rollie Meyers
05-17-2019, 11:35 PM
For my Dodge 5.9 L diesel use Wix, Napa Gold, or OEM Mopar, the7.3 L Ford F250, only use Wix, or Napa Gold, when Motorcraft was used the bloody thing left drips wherever it was parked until quit using Motorcraft filters, won't comment about Baldwin filters, neutral about them.

Ronald Blue
05-18-2019, 2:25 PM
Here is a link to a pretty informative study. It does give merit to the Fram being inferior to many others. https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm While it may not be the end all to the oil filter debate it is clear that Fram is made only to satisfy the bottom line. Also most others are good filters and the NAPA is the same as the WIX. This is only one specific filter compared in a number of different brands but the comparison is pretty scientific in cutting them open and comparing the volume of actual filter material. On our heavy equipment we run primarily Donaldson Lube, fuel, and air filters. Because of the harsh environment they are in we advocate oil changes every 150 hours. While any engine can fail without warning we commonly see well over 10,000 hours. One machine in my care is bumping against 15,000 hours. We use several different oils depending on the area and whats available but a lot is Chevron.

roger wiegand
05-18-2019, 2:58 PM
The amount of filtering material would seem to be irrelevant (or at least not the best indicator)-- what you'd want to test is the ability to capture particles of various sizes and the ability to continue to maintain oil flow as the filter loads with particles. These would seem to be pretty easy tests to conduct, just keep pouring in material of various known sizes and measure the flow rate and pressure and what's circulating in the oil after its been through the filter a few times. You'd think the manufacturers going for the gearhead market would publish such stats.

Since I've never had a problem I could attribute to dirty oil, I've never worried about it. I've used Bosch filters in my last couple of cars since that's what they came with.

Ronald Blue
05-18-2019, 6:22 PM
The amount of filtering material would seem to be irrelevant (or at least not the best indicator)-- what you'd want to test is the ability to capture particles of various sizes and the ability to continue to maintain oil flow as the filter loads with particles. These would seem to be pretty easy tests to conduct, just keep pouring in material of various known sizes and measure the flow rate and pressure and what's circulating in the oil after its been through the filter a few times. You'd think the manufacturers going for the gearhead market would publish such stats.

Since I've never had a problem I could attribute to dirty oil, I've never worried about it. I've used Bosch filters in my last couple of cars since that's what they came with.

Then I take it you believe Fram has filtering technology that no one else in the business possesses. So I believe it is a valid comparison. If the filter media was all over the chart then that might be true. But I believe every filter but Fram was over 300 square inches and even their premium didn't exceed 200 square inches. Every other filter including Bosch had significantly more filter media than Fram. Are they adequate? Maybe but why gamble?

roger wiegand
05-18-2019, 7:28 PM
Just speaking from experience in the lab with filter paper, choosing the right paper for the particle size always made a big difference. Too fine a filter would result in instant clogging, no matter how big it was. The process chemists fussed a lot over filtration media and correctly matching it to the problem. The solution was rarely just increasing the area of the filter--that tended to be a very expensive route. I think performance-based testing would be more informative for oil filters.

Tom M King
05-18-2019, 7:52 PM
I've run Mobil 1 oil, and filters for as long as I can remember-80's or early 90's at least. Never had any kind of engine problem, and we run them until about everything else is worn out. Currently have a Subaru with 240k, and an 18 year old Duramax diesel with 340k on it.

The guy that bought my last pickup from me, that I sold when I bought the current diesel dually in Nov. 2000, is still driving it, and hasn't been in the motor yet, but he doesn't drive as much as I do.

I change oil every 10,000 miles. That gas burner pickup that I sold in 2000, had 174k on it, and compression was still almost as good as new.

I never spent much time thinking about it, but after seeing this thread, this page was reassuring: https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

Scott Hearn
05-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Fram filters are worth less than that flashy looking packaging they come in.

Filters from the "good" companies come in two or three tiers. Wix and Purolator come to mind. Their top tier filters are good quality. The Mobil 1 filters are good and I'll use them in a pinch, but they are definitely overpriced and really no different than the upper tier Purolator and Wix. Most OEM filters are decent quality too.

If you want the absolute best I use Amsoil. They are made by Donaldson. Donaldson probably has the most extensive line of filters for about every substance and in every application known to mankind.

Lee DeRaud
05-19-2019, 1:55 PM
Since I've never had a problem I could attribute to dirty oil, I've never worried about it.And that seems to be true for everyone on this thread...if anyone had, I'm sure they would have said so.
If and when someone says differently, I suppose I'll be vaguely interested to hear what filter was in use at the time.

Doug Dawson
05-19-2019, 3:40 PM
And that seems to be true for everyone on this thread...if anyone had, I'm sure they would have said so.
If and when someone says differently, I suppose I'll be vaguely interested to hear what filter was in use at the time.

Very few people routinely send used motor oil from their passenger vehicles off for analysis, and fewer still know how to interpret the results.

So if, during the life of the vehicle, some engine damage had occurred, it would be hard to attribute it.

That's one reason why I prefer OEM filters. If some damage were to occur to a motor, it would not be because of something I did. It would be out of my hands.

Darcy Warner
05-19-2019, 9:53 PM
I can tell at about 5500 miles, that my oil is getting dirty.

Ole Anderson
05-20-2019, 8:42 AM
Not a supporter of Fram, but has anyone ever had a failure attributed to a cheap oil filter? Given a choice I prefer Napa Gold, but I tend to use whatever the closest parts store (now it is an O'Reilley's) has on a oil/filter special. Last time it was Pennzoil full synthetic and a Wix filter. Previously the special included an STP filter.

Andrew Gibson
05-20-2019, 9:30 AM
Not a supporter of Fram, but has anyone ever had a failure attributed to a cheap oil filter? Given a choice I prefer Napa Gold, but I tend to use whatever the closest parts store (now it is an O'Reilley's) has on a oil/filter special. Last time it was Pennzoil full synthetic and a Wix filter. Previously the special included an STP filter.

I have had two Fram filters fail on me. One was a bad seal that tore and caused the engine to pump about a quart of oil out of the car while sitting in a parking lot about 10 miles after install, could have been installer error. Second was a filet with a pin hole in the body that would spray oil out when the pump started building pressure above idle. The pin hole sprayed straight down and managed to not land on anything hot while pumping 3 quarts out during a 40 mile run. luckily we stopped for gas and noticed a slight burning smell and an oil covered rear bumper. The hole was sealed by the paint and didn't show up at idle during a quick post change inspection.
I made the change to Wix after some research about 4/5 years ago and have not looked back. I will order a filter in before buying a Fram especially on my 7500/10k extended change vehicles. Whatever you do, still check your fluids every couple thousand miles. Modern cars with extended change cycles can still have problems that simply checking all fluid levels will reveal and save the motor/trans especially with all the easily broken/stresses plastic parts in a modern engine bay.

Ken Combs
05-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Back when I was into cars a lot, there were several instances of lifter noise on startup, especially with Buicks and Fords. Traced to Fram filters and their lack of a working anti drainback valve. The Ford and Buick oil pickup passages were long and an empty filter and engine oil passages would result in no oil pressure for several seconds on start. Not good!

I use Wix made filters, Wix brand, NAPA gold or Orielly's premium filter. All Wix. I'm sure others are good, but these work for me.

My Mitsubishi diesel uses 2 filters, one filter gets the oil that is delivered to the bearings, when the oil pressure relief valve opens, the bypassed oil goes to a second filter. Great system.

The filter study mentioned earlier shares the same flaw of all I have found online. It is a comparison of materials, designs and assembly techniques. No actual performance data or measurements. No flow rates, pressure drop measurements, valve leakage data,.. Nothing but the opinion of the writer as to the probable or possible performance.

So, we each choose our favorite maker, color or whatever the selection criteria we use.

Tom M King
05-20-2019, 9:14 PM
This thread piqued my curiosity, so Google helped me find several good tests of oil filters other than just cutting them open. They've been tested for flow rate, filtering capability, drain back, and etc., complete with pictures. What most people have posted in this thread is pretty much spot on.

I'm just sticking with what has worked so well for us that I'm afraid to change anything. My expectations of longevity, I'm sure, are way beyond what the manufacturers are hoping for. For people that trade vehicles every 2 or 3 years, it doesn't matter much.

That's the reason I make one payment on a new one, break it in like I want to, and drive it until I'm tired of it. The last truck payment I made was in Nov. of 2000.

Jim Andrew
05-20-2019, 9:44 PM
Not sure I need to be concerned about the quality of oil filters, as long as they do not fall apart and let the oil out of my vehicle. Use Mobil 1 and change it at 5000 miles. Notice my oil stays pretty clear, can see through the stream when draining the oil. Was told the Mobil 1 has the highest detergent content of any oil, so it cleans your engine as it lubricates.

Brady Watson
05-21-2019, 5:31 AM
When an oil filter plugs up, oil bypasses the filter media and dirty oil gets delivered to the oil galleries...this is the main reason 'gearheads' and racers don't like the smaller filter area of Fram and some other filters. However if you change fluids regularly it probably isn't going to be a problem for most.

I personally wouldn't use them on anything high performance, diesel or forced induction because of higher cylinder pressure and in turn, higher stress at the main bearings. Few really understand that the only thing physically supporting the crank between the journal and bearing is a thin film of pressurized oil...I prefer to keep fine particles and other scoring fine cooties out of there...

Larry Frank
05-21-2019, 7:23 AM
A lot depends on your vehicle use. I do not live in a dusty area and the oil stays very clean and filter choice makes little difference. When I was working, I worked in a dusty, dirty area and my oil got dirty quicker and needed more frequent change.

So much depends on your vehicle, use and environment.

Brian Elfert
05-21-2019, 8:33 AM
I am using the NAPA Platinum filters on everything I own with an oil filter (except my motorhome that they don't make one for). They are Wix XP filters. They were on sale for $4.99 last month at NAPA. I also use synthetic oil even though dino might be just fine.

Karl Loeblein
05-21-2019, 2:23 PM
The issues with FRAM filters is more than shorter surface area. The FRAM filter material also inferior to WIX/NAPA filter material, internal seal are made from carboard which can break off, the bypass valve is made from plastic vice metal and the metal.
Suggest watching YouTube videos that take apart several filters that show how inferior standard FRAM filters are made. I primarily buy Napa Gold or Platinum filters made by WIX now.

Tip: Look at the NAPA Gold or Platinum Oil Filter box lower corners. Make sure WIX is mentioned to make sure it's made by them.

michael langman
05-21-2019, 2:39 PM
I do not drive my car that many miles a year now, so I can go 2 years between oil and filter changes.Because of that I use Wix filters which as Karl has stated are made of better materials and filtering media.
I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in our cars.
If the sub frames in my cars did not rust out I would have my vehicles for 40-50 years.
For the first time in my life the oil monitor came on in our 2004 Lesabre with the 3.8L engine.The oil had run all the way down to the bottom of the dipstick!
Luckily there was still enough oil in the engine to keep the engine lubricated. I had gone 1 1/2 years and did not check the oil after the first year.
I did not know that the 3.8L engine by Buick had been known to use oil. More then I was ever accustomed to.All I ever heard was how reliable and great the engine was.
I drive about 10,000 miles in 2 years so was at about 7500 miles when the oil got that low.
I will never let that happen again.

Justin Rapp
05-21-2019, 2:54 PM
When it comes to oil filters, I default to dealer part. For such a small difference in cost relative to other more substantive things, I can't be bothered to think that the aftermarket part is in any way "superior". It takes the uncertainty out of the equation. It's just not worth arguing about.

Bob is the Oil Cult. And he's your uncle too, FWIW.

MFG oil filters are usually made by another company. For example, BMW is typically made by MANN, for 1/2 the cost, it is the same filter with a different logo on the box and different part number.

MANN, Wix, K&N, FRAM XG Series, Bosch Premium, Mobil 1 are all pretty good filters. Puralator used to be the bottom of the barrel junk but they have come a long way. I still won't use one or the other lower 'brands' like stp, champion, ecoguard etc.

With that said, most oil filters that are made, if changed at the proper interval would typically be fine. People have put billions of miles on their cars with the $2 oil filters that the quick lube oil change places use.

I stick to MAnn and Wix for my cars most of the time. It's easy enough to order a few for each car from Rock Auto and leave em on the shelf in the garage.

Ronald Blue
05-22-2019, 8:28 AM
I do not drive my car that many miles a year now, so I can go 2 years between oil and filter changes.Because of that I use Wix filters which as Karl has stated are made of better materials and filtering media.
I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in our cars.
If the sub frames in my cars did not rust out I would have my vehicles for 40-50 years.
For the first time in my life the oil monitor came on in our 2004 Lesabre with the 3.8L engine.The oil had run all the way down to the bottom of the dipstick!
Luckily there was still enough oil in the engine to keep the engine lubricated. I had gone 1 1/2 years and did not check the oil after the first year.
I did not know that the 3.8L engine by Buick had been known to use oil. More then I was ever accustomed to.All I ever heard was how reliable and great the engine was.
I drive about 10,000 miles in 2 years so was at about 7500 miles when the oil got that low.
I will never let that happen again.

There is no standard anywhere that would consider that as oil consumption. 7500 miles and you had to add oil. That's unfortunate but lucky for you the oil monitor functions or you might have trashed the engine. There is another thread in this forum about oil consumption on a new vehicle and what's excessive. Based on what the owners of that brand say they would be tickled to death to have your problem. Checking the oil whenever you get gas isn't a bad practice. Also when you drive short drives which it sounds like that's what you do with the low miles you should be changing the oil at least yearly. You can google it and read all about it. Either way the slam against your engine is totally without merit. That would be considered excellent by any manufacturer. However the lack of regular oil changes may be doing damage to your engine.

Bill Dufour
05-22-2019, 9:44 AM
I need to buy a new fuel filter for my truck. So do the same good/bad brands apply for fuel filters?
Bil lD.

Doug Dawson
05-22-2019, 12:23 PM
MFG oil filters are usually made by another company..

Yes they are, but they're designed and built to spec for the car.

I've been working with cars for a long time, and the retail market is overflowing with parts that are "better than OEM", or intended to make your car "go faster", etc., and occasionally it's true, but it's often a wash, and it's all too frequently a crock. IMO there has to be a really good reason to go aftermarket, and saving a few dollars on a major-failure-risk item like an oil filter (even if only in the long term) doesn't qualify.

With the oil itself, OTOH, there are very specific industry-wide standards that have to be met, and it is labelled as such.

Ronald Blue
05-22-2019, 6:15 PM
Yes they are, but they're designed and built to spec for the car.

I've been working with cars for a long time, and the retail market is overflowing with parts that are "better than OEM", or intended to make your car "go faster", etc., and occasionally it's true, but it's often a wash, and it's all too frequently a crock. IMO there has to be a really good reason to go aftermarket, and saving a few dollars on a major-failure-risk item like an oil filter (even if only in the long term) doesn't qualify.

With the oil itself, OTOH, there are very specific industry-wide standards that have to be met, and it is labelled as such.

As are many others. We sample every oil from every engine we have and that's in the thousands. Our preferred filter is Donaldson. Oil sampling identifies issues before they become failures. That might be coolant in the oil or metals indicating possible bearing issues or cylinder wear. Every engine has a baseline and then a history created. There is nothing wrong with OEM filters and the choice is yours. But we don't have issues with aftermarket filters and very few engine failures that would be considered catastrophic. While filter quality might be more suspect in the automotive segment there are a lot of vehicles with high miles that probably haven't had an OEM filter since they were new.

Chuck Wintle
05-22-2019, 6:24 PM
So in the end i bought a wix filter which seems to be of good quality. A lot who replied mentioned wix so that is what i bought. But at a premium price point though. :)